Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have leading your staff?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jered Weaver

8 28.57%
  • Matt Cain

20 71.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jered Weaver vs. Matt Cain

Go.

Cain.

Matt Cain
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

Matt Cain easily
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals 21) Reds

I think their pretty even, both are legit aces. I think Weaver takes this one because he goes just as deep into games as Cain, has better control, and gets more k's. Cain is great though, would have 10 wins on hitting team right now. In a playoff game I would take Weaver, if I was building a franchise I would take the younger Cain. Weaver got my vote.

I'll give the edge to Cain.

This is closer than people think but I like Cain more even though Weaver pitches in AL.
    Keep CC in Tampa!!

Tampa Sports For Life

Look at career numbers, not just this year. It's not close.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryrob58 View Post
    I think their pretty even, both are legit aces. I think Weaver takes this one because he goes just as deep into games as Cain, has better control, and gets more k's. Cain is great though, would have 10 wins on hitting team right now. In a playoff game I would take Weaver, if I was building a franchise I would take the younger Cain. Weaver got my vote.
    Bro-mo-sabi, Cain has 3 complete games this year...

Cain averages 6.39 inn per start for his career, Weaver averages 6.14. For this season the difference is even larger. Cain also has 4 season of 190 inn+, Weaver has 1, barring injury this year Cain will have 5 and Weaver 2 at their current paces.

Right not Weaver has better career FIP, xFIP, tRA+(I cant find career tra+ but Weaver has been better every year or close to every year), and since 07 Weaver has been worth more in terms of WAR. Cain has a better career tRA(same as tRA+) and tERA.

Weavers K and BB rates are also better.

This year I'd probally take Weaver, going forward though, Cain. Weaver isnt likely going to sustain his success this year. His K/9 has increased dramatically, averaging about 2.5 more K/9 this year then his career while dropping almost .5 BB/9 also. Cains K/9 is down, but so is his BB/9, which he has improved a lot from earlier in his career.

I'd rather have Weaver. Cain doesn't know how to win games.

“My team is a super team, just young.” - Kings GM Vlade Divac. June 21, 2018

probably weaver but its very close.

Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    Cain averages 6.39 inn per start for his career, Weaver averages 6.14. For this season the difference is even larger. Cain also has 4 season of 190 inn+, Weaver has 1, barring injury this year Cain will have 5 and Weaver 2 at their current paces.

Right not Weaver has better career FIP, xFIP, tRA+(I cant find career tra+ but Weaver has been better every year or close to every year), and since 07 Weaver has been worth more in terms of WAR. Cain has a better career tRA(same as tRA+) and tERA.

Weavers K and BB rates are also better.

This year I'd probally take Weaver, going forward though, Cain. Weaver isnt likely going to sustain his success this year. His K/9 has increased dramatically, averaging about 2.5 more K/9 this year then his career while dropping almost .5 BB/9 also. Cains K/9 is down, but so is his BB/9, which he has improved a lot from earlier in his career.
    Using FIP and xFIP just doesn't tell the story with Cain, he's consistently outperformed xFIP significantly so there's something else going on with Cain that makes him special.

I don't like ERA, but when he's had a career ERA around 3.46 and an xFIP of 4.51, he's gotta be better than those statistics imply.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    Using FIP and xFIP just doesn't tell the story with Cain, he's consistently outperformed xFIP significantly so there's something else going on with Cain that makes him special.

I don't like ERA, but when he's had a career ERA around 3.46 and an xFIP of 4.51, he's gotta be better than those statistics imply.
    The last two seasons that his FIP and ERA have been that far off. His FIP is high because of high BB rates and low K rates. I noticed his LOB% has also been above league average the last twe years, alot more in 09 then this year. And the last two year he dropped his BABIP dramatically, from .304 in 08, to .268 in 09 and .262 this year. To me this says he's gotten better at getting out of jams and the defense has gotten better. Im not an expert, but thats just what I gather.

i would say in general AL pitchers go deeper into games then NL pitchers because they don't have to hit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast