Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So why did people prefer Antawn over Amare?

Heres what we know, one rises to the occasion in the playoffs, the other shrinks. Amares weakness (Defense) is better than Antawns. Antawns strength (spreading the floor) isnt as strong as Amares perimeter game. Its true, Antawn can hit the 3 but his midrange game is weak in comparison.

There was the whole playing without the ball theory, but Amare is the one who plays with a ball dominant PG almost exclusively in PnR situations. Maybe Brown used Antawn wrong or something but I cant picture anyone messing up an Amare Bron PnR.

My guess is the Suns wanted Hickson, and the Cavs wouldn't part with him. I don't specifically remember if that was the case or not, but that'd be my guess.

Plus the Cavs probably didn't like the idea that if they traded for Amare that then their two best players would likely opt out at seasons end and didn't like the idea of having to pay huge money to keep both. Maybe they thought that Amare would opt out regardless of the outcome of the season, and that Jamison would be enough to win it all and then they'd still have him locked in for next year, and they essentially had to give up nothing to get him.

Hindsight is 20/20.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

I pretty much thought that the only reason they went for 'Tawn was that it allowed them to keep Hickson, which was... puzzling. Also, he was probably more available.

EDIT: I call it puzzling because here are the Cavs, sitting on one of the biggest expiring contracts in the NBA and with a young player who a lot of teams are interested in despite not really showing anything other than brief flashes, and they settled. Now they're stuck launching their endgame strategy three weeks from free agency.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; 06-10-2010 at 07:49 PM.
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
    Dr. Johnson

I am sure the price for Amare was much higher than Jamison's. I would be willing to bet they would have to include something they didn't want to include in order to get Amare.

cus the Cavs got Jamison for nothing and the Suns must have wanted something for Amare

The Cavs got Jamison and Telfair for nothing while keeping Z and Hickson.

With Amare they would have gave up Hickson and possibly something else so I see why the Cavs would say no

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobjarree View Post
    cus the Cavs got Jamison for nothing and the Suns must have wanted something for Amare
    True.

Guys I understand the repercussions of trading Hickson but Im talking about people who were arguing that Antawn would be the best partner for Bron, propelling the team into Championship caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Heres what we know, one rises to the occasion in the playoffs, the other shrinks. Amares weakness (Defense) is better than Antawns. Antawns strength (spreading the floor) isnt as strong as Amares perimeter game. Its true, Antawn can hit the 3 but his midrange game is weak in comparison.

There was the whole playing without the ball theory, but Amare is the one who plays with a ball dominant PG almost exclusively in PnR situations. Maybe Brown used Antawn wrong or something but I cant picture anyone messing up an Amare Bron PnR.
    Because the Cavs could get Jamison easily while if they waited for Amare to be available they would never have gotten anyone. Besides the Cavs got Jamison pretty much for free as Big Z came back to the team.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I pretty much thought that the only reason they went for 'Tawn was that it allowed them to keep Hickson, which was... puzzling. Also, he was probably more available.
    it was because of hickson. the kid's only 21 and has some really good potential. the thing i didn't get is if they wanted to keep him so bad, then why didn't he get any minutes in the playoffs? he was looking pretty good in the regular season..

Looking back though, I'm guessing Ferry and Brown had to have at least some understanding of what would happen if they didn't win the title. So, in a way it's kinda puzzling they didn't go for Amare. So you give up Hickson, so what. You win it with Amare, and you keep your job (Brown) and in Ferry's case, you'd probably want to keep your job.

My guess is, Gilbert probably put a nix on trading Hickson, which probably handcuffed Ferry a bit, and narrowed his options. Pure speculation on my part, but Ferry left in part because of Gilbert's increasing hands on approach. So, that may have been the start of it.
    i don't like girls

at the people who thought that it was the Cavs who were holding the trade back.

The deal for Amar'e 100% included Hickson in the deal. The Suns weren't satisfied with the offer... simple. Similarly the Heat offered JO for Amare and filler, and the Suns weren't satisfied. They wanted Beasley, and picks.... and the Heat to take back Richardson's $13M contract as well.

But seriously... you have be high or twisted to think the Cavs put together a trade package that didn't include Hickson.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Guys I understand the repercussions of trading Hickson but Im talking about people who were arguing that Antawn would be the best partner for Bron, propelling the team into Championship caliber.
    I don't know. Probably because of the whole Shaq/Amare thing not working in Phoenix is my guess.
    i don't like girls

Quote Originally Posted by superkegger View Post
    I don't know. Probably because of the whole Shaq/Amare thing not working in Phoenix is my guess.
    The 2 made the all-star team, you really think Antawn Shaq accomplish that in the West?

Quote Originally Posted by superkegger View Post
    That and the fact I honest think most though they would get Orlando and not Boston in these playoffs which meant they saw him as a tweener to get after Rashard Lewis on both ends like Lamar Odom did in the Finals.

In other words they didn't expect KG to come and get in that *** as the only true PF out East.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast