Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Is Dwight Howard a "true" Superstar?

Before I get killed for making this comment hear me out. First off is Dwight Howard the best center in the NBA, yes. Is he the most dominant defensive player as of now, of course. Franchise player with unlimited potential of course. But let's really look at what a superstar means. Usually it means that your team relies on your night and night out, Offensively and Defensively and is the entire team's identity. Now Dwight Howard most definately leads Orlando's defense and takes up a lot of space in the middle. But is he that consistent? Offensively he's extremely sporadic, only has about two to three real solid moves, still can't shoot free throws and turns over the ball at an alarming rate. Granted he is getting better at passing the ball, has huge games that no one else in the league can get and dunks like no other center. But he trades good games with bad, has disappeared for large stretches of the playoffs and is always getting into foul trouble. In addition doesn't a lot of the amount of rebounds he gets is because he's surrounded by jump shooters and no one else on the team truly rebounds the ball? Is he really a "true" superstar like Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Durant? Personally I feel until he develops more consistency and a more diverse offensive game he's a glorified and more exciting Marcus Camby or Ben Wallace. What does everyone else think, most likely I will face pretty heavy opposition but I'm just trying to make a point.

ban
    ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃̃)۶

Yes he is. still needs to develop is post game more though

Marcus Camby & Ben Wallace? No..

Dwight is a top 5 player in the league along with being the best defender. That's a superstar to me.

Free As Seagull.

A superstar should be able to carry a team for periods. And then, even when he's not at his best, he should still be pretty ****ing good. Dwights not there yet.

That's the difference between him and what Shaq was. Shaq couldn't hit free throws, but you were never going to single cover him and not pay for it dearly. If anyone had ever been dumb enough to single cover shaq in his hey-day with the Lakers with ****ing Glen Davis and an old *** Rasheed Wallace for half the game, Shaq would have gone for 40+.

Not to say he has to be what Shaq was. But when you're the franchise guy and the "superstar", and the other team says, "We don't think you can beat us, we're going to play you straight up," and you response to that is 13 points, 12 boards 3-10 shooting, 7-12 from the line and 7 turnovers. Well, I dunno, I have a hard time calling that man a superstar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

One of the analysts during the game commented that for all he brings defensively, he can still be a liability offensively. Guess that goes with Keg's post.
    It depends on what your definition of a true superstar is. If your definition means a guy who can perform up to and beyond expectations on both ends of the floor, then no-Dwight wouldn't count as a superstar right now. But he's young, so there should still be time for him to develop more of an offensive game.
    I think of him as a star, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not only do I think he's a superstar, but I think he should be the face of the NBA because he's not nearly the crybaby that LeBron is. He seems like a solid guy. I think that Kobe is the NBA's most marketable and best player, but ever since the rape allegations they stir clear of him.

I love Dwight.

Hard to say. He is a dominant force, but still struggles to score at times. He is really a tricky guy to categorize.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Not only do I think he's a superstar, but I think he should be the face of the NBA because he's not nearly the crybaby that LeBron is. He seems like a solid guy. I think that Kobe is the NBA's most marketable and best player, but ever since the rape allegations they stir clear of him.

I love Dwight.
    x2. Dwight is definitely my favorite player in the league. His personations and jokes are so funny to me because he's like a big over-grown kid. He's definitely a true superstar. Some of his blocks today were downright nasty.

He is what he is on offense. You can't expect too much of a leap from here on out. Hes still a star tho.
    Last edited by ldc62; 05-17-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Dwight isn't a basketball player. He's a phenomenal athlete who happens to play basketball. Yes, his timing is superior to that of anyone else when it comes to blocking shots, but he would be much more effective if he blocked shots into the direction of Jameer Nelson in order to start fast breaks instead of slapping them into the tenth row. His offensive mind isn't nearly as developed as someone like LeBron's, and he should practice his four foot hook shots more than he practices his underhand half court shots.

He deserves credit, but that team isn't winning right now strictly because of him.

Quote Originally Posted by ldc62 View Post
    He is what he is on offense. You can't expect too much of a leap from here on out. Hes still a star tho.
    You don't think he could really improve on offense? He's so young, there should be room for serious improvement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by mshan5 View Post
    Dwight isn't a basketball player. He's a phenomenal athlete who happens to play basketball. Yes, his timing is superior to that of anyone else when it comes to blocking shots, but he would be much more effective if he blocked shots into the direction of Jameer Nelson in order to start fast breaks instead of slapping them into the tenth row. His offensive mind isn't nearly as developed as someone like LeBron's, and he should practice his four foot hook shots more than he practices his underhand half court shots.

He deserves credit, but that team isn't winning right now strictly because of him.
    I agree that his offense obviously lacks depth, and he could block smarter, but saying that the "team isn't winning right now strictly because of him" when you're talking about a team who has lost once in the last month and a half, by 4 points, doesn't make much sense.

I absolutely think he's a superstar, although I'd say he's the least talented of any superstar in this generation.

Tough call. I think you can only call 5 guys in the NBA "Superstars". I'm not putting Howard above Lebron, Kobe, Wade, and Durant.

If I had the 5th pick in the NBA draft and every NBA player was in the pool...I'm having a tough time deciding between Dwight Howard and Carmelo Anthony. It's a tough statement to make that you can build a team around Dwight Howard with lesser talent than Jameer Nelson, Rashard Lewis, and Vince Carter.

I think if you have to question if they are a superstar or not...you answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurred1 View Post
    You don't think he could really improve on offense? He's so young, there should be room for serious improvement.
    that was a Bill Parcel's quote. But its been 6 years and his offense isn't even as good as Yao's in Yao's first year... He could improve, but it will be more refining than doing new moves.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast