Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Research Paper on WWE

I'm doing an 8-10 page research paper on the WWE. I have to relate it to staffing. Might as well post it here for any thoughts and/or comments. I'll keep posting the paper as I get it done.

Here's the intro.

World Wrestling Entertainment, better known as WWE, is a publicly traded conglomerate company owned by Vince McMahon. WWE focuses on the sport entertainment industry, and specifically in professional wrestling, where it holds a virtual monopoly. With a strong and dedicated customer base, the WWE is able to implement many HR strategies to better their business. Pro wrestling in particular is a unique business, and the WWE displays many unique measures when it comes to recruitment, development, training, selection and other areas of staffing.

First, it is important to understand the professional wrestling industry, as it is unlike any other business industry. Professional wrestling began in the early 1900s and developed into the “scripted” sport that it is today in the 1920s. Due to pro wrestling being scripted, it has become an industry based around entertainers and writers. In many senses, this is like a yearly movie. You have actors (wrestlers), writers (the creative team), the production team, and of course all of those involved in the business aspect of it.

Pro wrestling was very territorial until the late 1980s, when it became a worldwide phenomenon. One organization would rule the southwest, one would rule the northeast, one would rule the West, and so on and so forth. Japan, Mexico, Europe, and Canada also had major territorial organizations that were wildly popular. In the late 1980s and throughout the 1990s, two wrestling promotions, World Championship Wrestling (WCW) and World Wrestling Entertainment (then known as the World Wrestling Federation) became national and global companies and ruled the majority of professional wrestling. There were smaller organizations that still succeeded in certain territories, but these were not major players. In the late 1990s, WCW declined fast and the WWE bought them out in 2001, creating a virtual monopoly.

Today, the WWE has used that virtual monopoly to its advantage. It has become a TV ratings powerhouse and creates revenue through its many departments. The WWE has the freedom to maximize its profits, even if they lose some of their fan base. Since they have no real competition, the WWE can focus on itself as a business and not worry as much about their overall live product.

Outside of the WWE, the industry has one other real global company – TNA Wrestling. There are still a few successful promotions internationally, but again, these only have an impact on their territory. Outside of the WWE and TNA, there are what are known as “independent” wrestling promotions. In general, this is referred to as the “Indies.” Basically, the WWE holds written contracts with their wrestlers and employees, and they are not free to work elsewhere. TNA has a few deals like that as well. Those who are not in those two companies can work for any independent promotion they would like to, and at any time. There are dozens upon dozens of independent wrestling promotions through the United States and the rest of the world, and thousands of independent professional wrestlers wrestling for them.

Talk more about Vince going around just shoving money in all the territories faces to take the company to a national level!

So far, I really like it. Keep posting it.

Very good start man. I assume you will get more into depth as it continues about the Monday Night Wars and TNA's impact on the industry as it goes on.

Great intro. I wonder how your teacher will feel about someone doing wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Talk more about Vince going around just shoving money in all the territories faces to take the company to a national level!

So far, I really like it. Keep posting it.
    Yeah, it is a must to talk about how Vince stole the top talent from all the other federations to go global. And how he started Survivor Series because Crockett was going to have Starrcade at that time, and how Vince told the cable companies that if they chose to air Starrcade they might not get to air future WWF ppvs, which were king at time. It was a major part in WWE's history, and destroyed all of his major competitors when they were starting to get big themselves.

I love Vince, and think he was a marketing genius, but god damn was he ruthless.

Driven you are the ultimate smark for doing a research paper on wrestling.

Too many what Ifs

Quote Originally Posted by dmac View Post
    Yeah, it is a must to talk about how Vince stole the top talent from all the other federations to go global. And how he started Survivor Series because Crockett was going to have Starrcade at that time, and how Vince told the cable companies that if they chose to air Starrcade they might not get to air future WWF ppvs, which were king at time. It was a major part in WWE's history, and destroyed all of his major competitors when they were starting to get big themselves.

I love Vince, and think he was a marketing genius, but god damn was he ruthless.
    Yep. He was ruthless as hell. Maybe he was handed a company, but it's not like he was set for life with that company. He worked so hard, was so ruthless, and played everything so well to get to where he is today. So much respect for that guy.

I agree, try and search for more Vince!!!

Also try to include the small local wrestling leagues like Ohio Valley, Florida Championship Wrestling, East Coast Pro Wrestling (New Jersey).

Give a history lesson and stepping stone from ground up wrestler into the WWE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Yep. He was ruthless as hell. Maybe he was handed a company, but it's not like he was set for life with that company. He worked so hard, was so ruthless, and played everything so well to get to where he is today. So much respect for that guy.
    Looking at the wrestling products today, I honestly don't have one ounce of respect for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by N.Z's #1 Dodger View Post
    Looking at the wrestling products today, I honestly don't have one ounce of respect for the guy.
    Regardless of if you enjoy the product or not, to see what he's done in his career, it's unbelievable. The background behind the territories and how he single handedly changed that..Just surreal on so many levels.

When we discuss, I'm discussing him as a business man. The product he puts on these days is for kids, obviously. It works, and he continues to make money off of it. I can't fault him for that, even though I'd prefer WWE to be more like TNA in its WCW/WWF Attitude Era days.

Quote Originally Posted by hizpcstr View Post
    Driven you are the ultimate smark for doing a research paper on wrestling.
    Haha, I just did it because it would save me time, lol. Trust me, the rest of the paper is **** and its why I haven't posted it yet,

Is this for HS or College? I do think that your intro has strong potential and this could be a great paper however; it seems to lack clarity, is the outcome just to inform the reader of how the wrestling industry personal is structured? If this is for college I would really consider focusing on the Independent Contractor aspect, and how the talents end of the business functions. You could be comprehensive and talk about how it worked in the territories, then the through the Monday night wars and how there was and arms race for talent, and now how the natural monopoly gives all the leverage in hiring practices to Vince. Just a thought