Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lakers Resign Kobe to a Three-Year Contract

EL SEGUNDO The Los Angeles Lakers have signed guard Kobe Bryant to a three-year contract extension, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak.

"We are extremely pleased that we were able to reach an agreement and come to terms on the extension at this time," said Kupchak. "Kobe has been a cornerstone of the Lakers for well over a decade, helping to lead us to four NBA Championships and in the process developing into one of the greatest players in basketball history."

"Two of our main goals heading into this season were to sign Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol to contract extensions," continued Kupchak. "With the signing of Pau earlier this season and the signing of Kobe today, we were able to accomplish those goals, helping to keep the core of this team intact for the foreseeable future and in turn help to ensure the franchise's continued success over the years to come."

Bryant, a four-time NBA Champion, has earned numerous accolades over the span of his 13-year career most recently being named the 2009 NBA Finals MVP. In 2008, the 12-time NBA All-Star earned the NBA Most Valuable Player Award. In that same year Bryant helped lead the United States to a gold medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Bryant has earned All-NBA honors in each of the last 11 seasons and has been named to the NBA's All-Defensive Team nine times.

In Bryant's 13 seasons with the Lakers they have appeared in postseason play in all but one season (2004-05), and have reached the NBA Finals six times, winning championships in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2009. The 6'6" guard scored a career-high 81 points (55 in the 2nd half) on January 22, 2006, the second highest game and half totals in NBA history.

Originally acquired by the Lakers from the Charlotte Hornets in exchange for Vlade Divac on July 11, 1996 after being selected by the Hornets with the 13th overall pick in the 1996 NBA Draft, Bryant is the youngest player in NBA history to score 25,000 points. Earlier this season Bryant moved past Jerry West to become the Lakers all-time leading scorer and currently ranks 12th on the NBA's all-time scoring list.

In 70 games this season, Bryant is averaging 27.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and 5.1 assists in 38.8 minutes.
    Link

Nice

How much?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    How much?
    it doesnt matter if its 2 million or 20 million per year, a contract is a contract!
    Leave me alone

I thought Kobe was going to New York with LeBron, Bosh, Wade, Joe Johnson and Amare?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    How much?
    Kobe Bryant(notes) has reached an agreement with the Los Angeles Lakers on a three-year extension that could be worth more than $90 million.

Bryant has had the contract sitting on the table throughout the season and finally reached agreement in the last 24 hours, sources say. He could have opted out of his current deal this summer and become part of the NBA’s historic free-agent class, but will now likely finish his career with the Lakers.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...xtension040210
    Last edited by king4day; 04-02-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Great news for Laker fans.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nl7ngy.jpg

Bring Back the Zen Master.

Quote Originally Posted by Iodine View Post
    it doesnt matter if its 2 million or 20 million per year, a contract is a contract!
    Wack statement, tell that to Jerry Buss
    Quote Originally Posted by clutchski View Post
    I don't mean to be offending or anything, but if Lebron goes the the Bobcats, I'll eat my own poop.

damn. 90 mill. so he will be the highest paid player in history?

Quote Originally Posted by masalex1205 View Post
    Wack statement, tell that to Jerry Buss
    Actually to Jerry Buss it didn't matter if it was 2 or 20 million he was paying regardless so he's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragun View Post
    damn. 90 mill. so he will be the highest paid player in history?
    I'm pretty sure Jordan, in his final Bulls season, had a 1 year 36 mil deal. Maybe Bulls fans could confirm.

Guess the Lakers are prepared to be in the Tax for a long time.

How the hell can he get signed in April?

Isn't the deadline before the season starts?
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

Funny that Kobe got the same extension Buss told Shaq to **** off behind, but it really isn't surprising since their was an article in Forbes years ago (Smush/Kwame) that Kobe had made Buss more money than any other Laker had.

Tie what he makes Buss into with his work ethic and willingness to seek to improve and you get the deal.

I also think that this means Phil is coming back as Kobe already said Phil would play a part in his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post

No. It is for cats on rookie deals but not for vets.

Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post

Unsure, but if that is the case, I am sure there is no reason they can't "agree to a deal".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast