Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,468

    NBA's top markets

    What do you think the NBA's top 10 markets are? I think we can all agree that NY, Bos, LA, Chi, Dal are probably the top 5, but it gets a little cloudy after that....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    boston!!!
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by mikantsass View Post
    What do you think the NBA's top 10 markets are? I think we can all agree that NY, Bos, LA, Chi, Dal are probably the top 5, but it gets a little cloudy after that....
    dal
    la
    ny
    chi
    boston

    close thread


    SHAQachusetts!!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    142
    Goldenstate(Oakland), Dallas and Dc are in the Top ten, but there's also a top 10 television markets which complicates the answer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada now Detroit
    Posts
    8,151
    If were talking value it goes like this, according to Forbes

    New York
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Chicago
    Detroit
    Cleveland

    http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/...ons_Value.html

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,081
    L.A teams, Florida teams and Texas teams.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lost (Please Send Help)
    Posts
    4,556
    Houston is a top market IMO

    Jimmy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    T Dot O Dot
    Posts
    18,811
    T.O. is top 10 without a doubt

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    T DOT !!
    Posts
    6,915
    Toronto

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shambala
    Posts
    44,115
    Knicks

    Lakers

    Bulls

    CLipps

    Celtics

    Rockets

    HEat

    Mavs

    RAPTORS

    Magic


    Raptors should even become top 4 if not for American media Bias to canada teams
    ]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    28,914
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDetroitBlue View Post
    If were talking value it goes like this, according to Forbes

    New York
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Chicago
    Detroit
    Cleveland

    http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/...ons_Value.html
    That's not the same as what a market is, that's just what Forbes predicts the franchise could be sold for if it were put up on the open market. That's why small-market Cleveland is able to be so high on the list (before Lebron it was among the bottom, and will probably drop dramatically if he leaves).

    Turns out their list doesn't hold much water anyway, though. Because Golden State is listed at 335 million, while by all accounts it's going to take at least 450 mil to buy the team (I've heard as high as 500). The SF Bay Area is another big market, and the team has a built in fan base even in losing seasons, which is making projected buyers salivate, and allowing the price to drive up more than 100mil north of what Forbes guessed that it would be worth.

    The top ten NBA markets are the same as the top ten US markets (oh, and you too Toronto). It's the biggest cities and their immediate metro areas

    1. New York is by far the biggest
    2. L.A.
    3. Chicago
    4. Dallas
    5. Philly
    6. Houston
    7. DC
    8. Atlanta
    9. Boston - Detroit - Phoenix - SF Bay Area

    I'm not sure what Toronto's market size is, only that their population is about 2.5 million, which puts them about 2 million short of the market size of Boston / Detroit / Phoenix / Bay Area. But their market is probably much larger. Though they're absolutely hurt as a franchise by not being in the US.

    Anyway, that's your answer bud.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    T DOT !!
    Posts
    6,915
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    That's not the same as what a market is, that's just what Forbes predicts the franchise could be sold for if it were put up on the open market. That's why small-market Cleveland is able to be so high on the list (before Lebron it was among the bottom, and will probably drop dramatically if he leaves).

    Turns out their list doesn't hold much water anyway, though. Because Golden State is listed at 335 million, while by all accounts it's going to take at least 450 mil to buy the team (I've heard as high as 500). The SF Bay Area is another big market, and the team has a built in fan base even in losing seasons, which is making projected buyers salivate, and allowing the price to drive up more than 100mil north of what Forbes guessed that it would be worth.

    The top ten NBA markets are the same as the top ten US markets (oh, and you too Toronto). It's the biggest cities and their immediate metro areas

    1. New York is by far the biggest
    2. L.A.
    3. Chicago
    4. Dallas
    5. Philly
    6. Houston
    7. DC
    8. Atlanta
    9. Boston - Detroit - Phoenix - SF Bay Area

    I'm not sure what Toronto's market size is, only that their population is about 2.5 million, which puts them about 2 million short of the market size of Boston / Detroit / Phoenix / Bay Area. But their market is probably much larger. Though they're absolutely hurt as a franchise by not being in the US.

    Anyway, that's your answer bud.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas
    the greater toronto area has a population of 5.5 million

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    28,914
    Quote Originally Posted by thescore53 View Post
    the greater toronto area has a population of 5.5 million
    Ah alright thanks, then Toronto would be considered a top ten market. Around the size of the Miami, DC, or Atlanta's markets (all ~5.5 mil).

    Another thing I'd add is that there isn't one NBA market that doesn't have enough size to support a sold out stadium night after night if the team is a winner / marketed well. With the exception of possibly Memphis... they are a small market, and just don't seem to care. But the Thunder, for example have the smallest NBA market (about 1/10th the size of L.A.'s), and are still top ten in attendance. I'd expect that to grow next year being that they're shaping up to be a repeat playoff team and possible conference contender very soon.
    Last edited by tredigs; 04-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    H-Town/The Burgh
    Posts
    14,528
    I don't think this can be an opinion...

    Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    3,321
    definatly toronto.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,222
    Lakers
    Celtics
    Knicks
    Spurs
    Bulls
    Mavs

    their isn't any after these 6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •