• Yes

9 29.03%
  • No

6 19.35%
  • Give him one more year

16 51.61%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Should the Leafs Fire Ron Wilson?

The season is over and it has been one of the worst in franchise history. Its been another year of our Leafs not making the playoffs and not having the draft picks to change the situation with a future all star.

After such a horrid season, should the Maple Leafs fire Ron Wilson as the Head Coach.

My Answer is a definite yes. Unlike Maurice, I never even grew to like this guy. These past two years have been horrible to watch and Wilson's cocky prick like demeanor has made it worse. I realize we are not a fantastic team, but with the accquistion of Phil Kessel, most "experts" had us making the playoffs or at least being relatively close. Instead we are fighting to not finish last in the Eastern Confrence.

Again, its not all his fault. But I know what I can push the blame on him... our lack of ability to finish games. How many god damn games have we choked away by not showing up when we have the lead? How many games did we lose in Overtime/Shootout? The answer is far too many and it has affected our postioning in the standings. Something is wrong with the coaching when your team does not finish games. The Vancouver game where we blew a 3 goal lead and lost 5-3 (the game which lead to our team blowing up via trades) Is a perfect example. How do you not get your team back on track in that situation to allow a team to score 5 unanswered goals. A coach should never let that kind of collapse occur. He has to take a lot of the responsibility for not keeping this team motivated enough to finish the games.

I also hate how he builds the lines and how he randomly swaps them around. We should be keeping the chemistry going. Why isnt the Monster playing more games. Giggy should not play another game when your other goalie is adapting to the league and is one a 6 game win streak.

This team should not be in the slot they are in. We are not the second worst team in the NHL. I realize that he is not the main reason why we suck... but he needs to take a lot of the blame.

Do you think its time to move on.

I don't think he should be fired and he won't be fired. Burke was on the fan today and basically praised him for the way he coaches. You saw what he could do in the Olympics, given any sort of talent he can bring this team into the playoffs.

I eat pieces of waffle like you for breakfast

Yes. But he will get one more year.

I am shcoked at the variation TBH. Didnt know it would be so split down the middle

I'd say give him another year.
    it's not really fair to judge him until he gets an opportunity with a more talented team.
    he did great things with team USA, as well as the Sharks.
    I'm not sure what other coaches are available to replace him who are any better. and on top of that, Burke loves Wilson, so he's not gonna fire him any time soon.

So hypothetically, IF Ron Wilson was fired, who do you guys think would be the ideal candidate to take over his position? Working in Toronto, under Brian Burke and with a younger squad needing direction..........

Quote Originally Posted by conway429 View Post
    I'd say give him another year.
    it's not really fair to judge him until he gets an opportunity with a more talented team.
    he did great things with team USA, as well as the Sharks.
    I'm not sure what other coaches are available to replace him who are any better. and on top of that, Burke loves Wilson, so he's not gonna fire him any time soon.
    He underachieved with the Sharks.

Ron Wilson is a good coach for a great team. We are not a great team and I dont think he fits well with the Leafs.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever View Post
    He underachieved with the Sharks.

Ron Wilson is a good coach for a great team. We are not a great team and I dont think he fits well with the Leafs.
    The Sharks have underachieved. As of now there is no proof that it was because of Wilson. Their underwhelming postseason performances continued without him as coach.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    The Sharks have underachieved. As of now there is no proof that it was because of Wilson. Their underwhelming postseason performances continued without him as coach.
    A lot of Sharks fans blame their early exits from the playoffs on Joe Thornton's lack of showing up for the big games. Hopefully it happens again this year and then the Sharks don't offer him and extension in 2011 and he becomes a free agent. Not going to happen, but he would be a great fit in Toronto.

GoLeafsGo11 Guest
    Of course, but with Burke there he's not going anywhere. Team America.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    A lot of Sharks fans blame their early exits from the playoffs on Joe Thornton's lack of showing up for the big games. Hopefully it happens again this year and then the Sharks don't offer him and extension in 2011 and he becomes a free agent. Not going to happen, but he would be a great fit in Toronto.
    If Sharks fans blame him for not getting through the playoffs then why do we want him for a ridiculous amount of money...I personally dont like Joe Thornton.

yes keep him because in a year or 2 when we become more competitive hes really going to help us, at first i didnt want him but you cant lie the guys impressive and look what he did with the american team in the olympics no one even gave em a chance
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    100 says we win at least 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    Your on.

Homerism at its finest

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    If Sharks fans blame him for not getting through the playoffs then why do we want him for a ridiculous amount of money...I personally dont like Joe Thornton.
    I bet Kessel would easily score 50 with Thornton setting him up

same position next year and maybe I'd think so. Given the way the team has played since the phaneuf and giguere trade that got rid of many of the players burke inherited, I'm thinking some of the problem was with the players that were sent away. Give him another year with a team more to his and Burkes liking and see what the results are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    I bet Kessel would easily score 50 with Thornton setting him up
    maybe but then we will just get bounced in the first round when Thornton doesnt show up

I'm just not a huge fan of Thornton. He isnt a good skater and he just isnt there when the game gets important. I just dont like him very much as a player.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast