Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Proven: Artest a better fit for Lakers then Ariza

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...artest.lakers/

For the record, the Lakers' offense improves 1.8 points per 100 possessions when Artest plays compared to when he sits. By contrast, L.A. scored 0.9 fewer points per 100 possessions when Ariza was on the court last season -- it was more efficient when he was benched.

It's ironic that Artest is now being chided for not finding his niche in the offense. Heading into the season, people were rightly concerned that he would emulate the horrible shot selection and ball-dominance he demonstrated last year in Houston. Instead, the notorious narcissist has sublimated his ego for the good of the team, favoring rapid ball movement (and consciously feeding Kobe) over silly shots or dribble penetration. He has reduced his field-goal attempts (from 15 per game last year to 9.7) while boosting his accuracy and committing the fewest turnovers per game of his 11-year career. (Incidentally, Ariza has become a flagrant bricklayer in his more prominent role in Houston, ranking sixth in the NBA in three-point attempts per game and 117th in three-point percentage.

Of course, the Lakers didn't acquire Artest for his offense. He came to L.A. to be the defensive stopper, to take some of the burden off of Kobe at that end of the court and instill more toughness and muscle, especially in the playoffs. If Jackson and the Lakers insist on occasionally throwing him out on the perimeter in half-court sets to guard the likes of Marcus Thornton, as happened Monday night in a road loss to the Hornets, then, yes, Artest is going to seem a step slow, particularly in comparison to the leonine Ariza.

But overall, Artest is mostly delivering the goods -- and is an upgrade over Ariza -- on defense. The Lakers have improved from sixth (104.7 points allowed per 100 possessions) to 5th (103.1 points allowed) in defensive efficiency compared to last season. The team is permitting four fewer points per 100 possessions when Artest is on the court compared to when he sits, a better improvement than the 0.6 fewer points per 100 possessions that Ariza contributed last season when he played.

Ralph12
    Hawkeye15
    Chronz
    Theking23
    prodigy
    & Others who said Artest makes the Lakers worst, explain that!
    Last edited by G-Funk; 03-31-2010 at 05:35 PM.

AgrÃ*nio, Aitolia Kai Akarnania, Greece, Greece
    What makes you think Lakers are first in Defense?

Ariza got manhandled by Carmelo last year

This won't be proven or disproven until the playoffs.

Proven: This belongs in the Lakers forum. No one else cares.

Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I agree. But it's already there. lol

Free As Seagull.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
    Ralph12
    Hawkeye15
    Chronz
    Theking23
    prodigy
    & Others who said Artest makes the Lakers worst, explain that!
    LA's bench is worse this year?
    Dwight Howard is a Top 5 Center of All-Time, no one in this league can touch him.

The Orlando Magic are a dominant contender and are a better franchise than I ever thought possible.

Raph12 is always right.

Artest: Age 30

Ariza: Age 24

Artest is the better fit right now but let's talk in 3 years about whether the Lakers did the right thing
    Quote Originally Posted by clutchski View Post
    I don't mean to be offending or anything, but if Lebron goes the the Bobcats, I'll eat my own poop.

Quote Originally Posted by GSW Hoops View Post
    This won't be proven or disproven until the playoffs.
    This.

The Lakers won a championship with Ariza; they have yet to do so with Artest. I'm reserving my judgment until June.

Props to Mane for the sig.

Like real hip-hop? Visit the PSD hip-hop blog here.

Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Actually this was a pretty hot topic on the NBA forum at the beggening of the year.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b3qWc

We all know Ron Artest(notes) is a crazy guy. That's probably what it'll say on his tombstone that's sure to be located in Queensbridge and made from some precious metal. Just a typical tombstone, really.

We also know that his skill set (shooting a lot, bumping guys, shooting) isn't quite as suited to the Lakers as that of the guy he replaced, Trevor Ariza(notes). Ariza preferred to fill in the gaps for the Lakers, rather than asserting himself wherever he saw fit, even if it's not necessary.

Guess who else knows that? Seņor Crazy, Ron Artest.

Here's what he told Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times when asked about the differences between himself and Ariza:

"He's a better player than me," Artest said Tuesday.

But Ron-Ron, nobody ever said he was better, we just said he was a better fit.

"He's a better player," Artest repeated emphatically. "He's won a ring, I haven't. I can't even compare to him. He's a better player."

Artest also agrees, incidentally, with the part about Ariza being a better fit.

"He probably is," Artest said. "He's a role player, a great role player. I haven't been a role player. Many times I've had to carry the load, this is a different look for me."

Ron Artest's harshest critic has always been Ron Artest. When we all thought his hair looked excellent, he shaved it off and called it a "hair don't." Like I said, he's harsh.

But maybe he's right. After all, the Lakers have already lost more games this season than they did all last year. Furthermore, their offensive efficiency has gone from 3rd to 10th. And last I checked, they haven't won any championships this year. Oh, they haven't played those yet? Never mind.

On the other hand, how many times has Trevor Ariza had foreign languages in his hair? Zero times. Advantage, Artest.

Quote Originally Posted by Verbal Christ View Post
    their offensive efficiency has gone from 3rd to 10th.
    Lakers' offense improves 1.8 points per 100 possessions when Artest plays compared to when he sits. By contrast, L.A. scored 0.9 fewer points per 100 possessions when Ariza was on the court last season -- it was more efficient when he was benched.

Quote Originally Posted by masalex1205 View Post
    Artest: Age 30

Ariza: Age 24

Artest is the better fit right now but let's talk in 3 years about whether the Lakers did the right thing
    Irrelevant. By then, Kobe, Odom, and Pau will be on the older side as well. The Lakers are built for now and not so much for the future with the way Bynum has been inconsistent. There's a fundamental difference between Ariza and Artest. Ariza is a gambler on the defensive end and sometimes it pays off; however, he is not a shut down defender. Conversely, Artest is still capable of being a shut down defender or at least neutralizing good/great players; he just can't do it as often as he used to. At the end of the day, Artest is the better fit and come playoffs, I have no doubt that he'll put in work. I think the Ariza versus Artest argument was blown out of proportion at the beginning of the year due to Ariza's fast start as a Rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by albertc86 View Post
    I think the Ariza versus Artest argument was blown out of proportion at the beginning of the year due to Ariza's fast start as a Rocket.
    Exactly A lot of ppl who want to see the Lakers fail claimed it made us worst and used that argument but now that the season is basically over it shows that Artest was an upgrade. So now I wanna put it to rest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast