Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should Iverson return in 2010-2011?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, he's washed up and really hurt his legacy this past year.

64 72.73%
  • Yes, he can still play and be effective.

24 27.27%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BYEverson

BYEverson

We all followed the situation.
    Played his heart out in Philly. Took a bunch of role players to the Finals and scored like a madman.
    Got traded to the Nuggets. Didn't understand how NOT to be the alpha dog and did not change his style of play.
    Traded to the Pistons for Billups after Denver gave up on the AI-Melo project. Billups' steady veteran leadership and experience brought the Nuggets back to relevance. AI, meanwhile, is rotting in Detroit. His body language and attitude about coming off the bench raise a lot of eyebrows. Calls it quits a couple of weeks before the playoffs and leaves his team mates to drown. Doesn't even give it a try.

Summer of 09. Inks a 1-year contract with Memphis. A lot of people wonder why he doesn't start over Mike Conley. Quits on the team after 3 games off the bench. Pouts like a little girl and gets bought out. Flirts with the Knicks, but re-signs in Philly for the pro-rated veteran's minimum. Things don't go his way - both on the court and in his private life - and he quits again.

Now, I have a lot of respect for the man, but I think he should hang it up. He has recklessly abandoned his body over the years and doesn't have the right mentality For instance, Jerry Stackhouse fills the 'scoring punch off the bench' role in Milwaukee. the difference? Stackhouse agrees to the role and knows he's making the team better. So does Jason Terry in Dallas (he knows he will get his number called when they need him to start), Nate Rob in Boston ... AI would never do that - he's "All I".
    There's a lot of buzz about him returning next year, but frankly, I don't think he should.

Should he hang it up?
    Last edited by DitchDat; 03-23-2010 at 09:47 AM.

I'm unsure about Iverson staying in the league or not.

If he wants to keep acting like a baby, when he can't get the starting role on a team, then he should quit. If he can maybe come off the bench as a spark plug for an offense, or a team trying to win a championship, then I think he should stay in the league.

My gut tells me he will always want to start, and be the star on the team. That's not going to happen anymore. He's too immature to let it go, and become a bench-player. Don't see him continuing his journey in the NBA any longer.

It's really a clear-cut situation.

the contenders are pretty much set roster-wise. They maybe bring in guys for the bench, but Iverson doesn't want that.

The teams who aren't making the playoffs, want to play their young guys as much as possible, so that they can develop. They don't want a fading star taking away valuable playing time and ruining chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by DitchDat View Post
    Played his heart out in Philly. Took a bunch of role players to the Finals and scored like a madman.
    Got traded to the Nuggets. Didn't understand how NOT to be the alpha dog and did not change his style of play.
    Traded to the Pistons for Billups after Denver gave up on the AI-Melo project. Billups' steady veteran leadership and experience brought the Nuggets back to relevance. AI, meanwhile, is rotting in Detroit. His body language and attitude about coming off the bench raise a lot of eyebrows. Calls it quits a couple of weeks before the playoffs and leaves his team mates to drown. Doesn't even give it a try.

Summer of 09. Inks a 1-year contract with Memphis. A lot of people wonder why he doesn't start over Mike Conley. Quits on the team after 3 games off the bench. Pouts like a little girl and gets bought out. Flirts with the Knicks, but re-signs in Philly for the pro-rated veteran's minimum. Things don't go his way - both on the court and in his private life - and he quits again.

Now, I have a lot of respect for the man, but I think he should hang it up. He has recklessly abandoned his body over the years and doesn't have the right mentality For instance, Jerry Stackhouse fills the 'scoring punch off the bench' role in Milwaukee. the difference? Stackhouse agrees to the role and knows he's making the team better. So does Jason Terry in Dallas (he knows he will get his number called when they need him to start), Nate Rob in Boston ... AI would never do that - he's "All I".
    There's a lot of buzz about him returning next year, but frankly, I don't think he should.

Should he hang it up?

Not to be rude, but I find it funny how you started this thread and have these things to say about AI, when your avatar is Stephon Marbury, the ultimate "me first player" because at least Iverson was a great player in his prime.

Anyway, right now Iverson seems to be laying low, taking care of business at home with his wife and kids. Yes she filled for divorce, but they are trying to work things out according to AI's agent and are still living together. Supposedly his daughter is also doing better, now AI has to find a way to kick the alcohol and he is getting help from John Thompson and David Stern. Hopefully AI get's his life back on track and this seems like a good start. If he can get control of his life, basketball won't matter, however maybe he can use this as a life lesson and it will also help him on the court. He still has the talent, he just needs the clarity because he is not 25 years old anymore. If AI gets his life together, who is to say he cannot make a comeback and do well, as a matter of fact I have a feeling he will be back next year and he will accept a lesser role and surprise everyone by coming back a better person.

Hope this happens.

He can probably still ball out of control, if he can feel the ground and air going through his nose. He needs to check into rehab, have an amicable end to the divorce and custody battle, and become re-motivated. Addiction is a mother****er, and if he has as many problems as they say then he's gonna have a hard time coming back.

That being said Stackhouse, Jason Terry, and Nate Robinson would perhaps come close to AI when their genes are spliced together.
    Last edited by JayAllDay; 03-23-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: ok maybe if they get spliced... which is impossible
    ENGLISH MOTHERF*****! DO YOU SPEAK IT?

would love to see him hang it up...wanna remember him as a scorer but will always be remembered as a guy who could have been better if he put his all into the sport
    Philly Sports
    FC Barcelona
    College Sports

As much as I want AI to stay in the league and kind of redeem himself, he should heavily think about retiring.

This could be the off-season where we see two guys that I grew up idolizing hang up their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by DitchDat View Post

Should he hang it up?
    I hate when people say that he couldn't play with Melo, when he could. He helped lead the Nuggets to they're Best record at that time in franchise history. That Nuggets squad didn't have the Kenyon we have now, we didn't have nene for that year and a half. Our starting PG was either Earl Boykins and Anthony Carter, JR Smith would be lucky to see that court on any given night. It was a very different team. people fail to understand that, His last full season healthy he averaged 27 and 7, don't get me wrong I love Chauncey, and happy he's on the Nuggets, and if this trade never woulda gone thru we wouldnt have acheived what we did last year or be where we're at today.

Man I'd hate to end my career like that, I'd at least wanna make it looked like I died trying to play my *** off.

He could play if he wanted too, there is nothing the end of his career would do to damage his legacy since he is the most controversial player in NBA History.

If he joined a team and came off the bench as a reserve, which he wont do. And he just so happened to win a title doing it, it wont change his legacy. For him he should just play if he has the love of the game, if he doesn't then he needs to stay retired.

I've been saying that ever since he left Detroit last year that he should just be a 6th man and take a Ginobili/Terry/Crawford role for a pretty good team, and he would push them to an elite team (like Utah for example). I think he can easily drop 15-17 ppg if healthy and committed to playing TEAM BALL, not 1v1 ball. Too bad his ego won't let him accept a 6th man role, so I don't think he'll come back. Hopefully this divorce thing turns his mindset around, and he becomes a responsible/mature person and accepts any role given to him if he doesn't retire, because I still think he can play.

His best days came in Denver and he did change his style, it just wasnt enough. His Philly and MVP year are beyond overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    His best days came in Denver and he did change his style, it just wasnt enough. His Philly and MVP year are beyond overrated.
    How are they overrated?

He should retire.

Quote Originally Posted by AIMelo=KillaDUO View Post
    I hate when people say that he couldn't play with Melo, when he could. He helped lead the Nuggets to they're Best record at that time in franchise history. That Nuggets squad didn't have the Kenyon we have now, we didn't have nene for that year and a half. Our starting PG was either Earl Boykins and Anthony Carter, JR Smith would be lucky to see that court on any given night. It was a very different team. people fail to understand that, His last full season healthy he averaged 27 and 7, don't get me wrong I love Chauncey, and happy he's on the Nuggets, and if this trade never woulda gone thru we wouldnt have acheived what we did last year or be where we're at today.
    Thank you for setting the record staight. This guy that started this thread claims to be a fan, but your AI recap is all wrong. Don't get me started on the title of this thread.

People act like AI to Denver was a disaster. They won 50+ games, Mello and Iverson were the highest scoring duo in the league. Those 2 guys were all they had. They lost to better teams in the playoffs(Lakers, Spurs)

The detroit deal was a money move, not a basketball move. Horrible coach that nobody respected, aging players. RIP cried when he didn't start, nobody is mentioning that.

Memphis would be in the playoff hunt, if you play AI over Conley Jr.

The philly situation proved that he can still play, he just took a backseat to overpaid bums. He brought energy and leadership to a sad and boring team.

Iverson is not an Angel, but he no where as bad as people make him out to be. I would love to see him play next year.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast