Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Should the NCAA tournament effect a players draft status?

During the course of a NCAA basketball season NBA scouts get a very decent sample of a players professional potential. The NCAA tournament is a chance for players to show what there made of when the pressure is on. If you were choosing a prospect rookie for your respective NBA club which sample would appeal to you more? The consistent prospect who got the job done all season long. Or the player who makes a name for himself as a standout during the NCAA tournament. After following Basketball for over a decade It is proven that a standout performance in the tourney effects draft performance.
    P(NBA)S(NBA)D. Yeah we sometimes talk about other sports.

I think the tournament really helps guys who haven't played against tough competition. They need to go deep though and really show up. A guy like Aubrey Coleman could benefit because being the leading scorer in college basketball isn't enough. You have to prove that you can do it against good competition. I remember Joe Alexander had a really good tournament and that really brought his stock up. He was pretty raw but a lot of scouts liked the upside he brought. Then there's guys like Patrick O'Bryant who did well all year long and inspired the Warriors to take him that high. I think guys with a high upside really benefit from doing well in the tournament. If they show flashes of being a good player, teams are much more likely to pick him earlier. Both Derrick Favors and Ed Davis are supposedly really high on most draft boards but Favors is really benefiting from the extra games if he can muster up some good performances. That first GT game really showed how raw he was though (shuffling the feet in the paint once he got the ball, not having any post moves, not being able handle bounce passes and passes in general).

the tournament did help patrick o'bryant a couple of years ago when bradley went far in the tourney. now he's a bust

Quote Originally Posted by phlp_bj View Post
    the tournament did help patrick o'bryant a couple of years ago when bradley went far in the tourney. now he's a bust
    A good example of a tournament stud gone bad in the NBA. 2 bad Golden State

I think it can help players more than it can hurt them. Someone already mentioned how Patrick O'Bryant was aided by his tourney performance a few years back, but then you look at someone like James Harden who had a horrendous showing in the tournament last year, yet was still drafted third overall.

Props to Mane for the sig.

Like real hip-hop? Visit the PSD hip-hop blog here.

I think the NCAA tournie should effect their draft status but I also think scouts put WAY too much weight on it.

I don't understand how you can watch a whole season of college basketball then have a guy shoot up 20 spots in the draft because of the tournie..... That's just dumb.

Of course it should... if a player plays well then of course scouts should take note. Whether that translate to the NBA is another story.

As a NBA scout I would use both as a tool. Look at Derrick Rose, had a great career, and a really good tournament, plus you add in character, which D. Rose is def a good character guy and I think that translate well in the pro's. There are so many variables, for instance in a point guard your looking for someone with strong leadership and a loud strong voice to be that coach on the floor.