Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Phil Jackson's Motto - Elite Teams win 40 games before they lose 20 games

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

    15 88.24%
  • Disagree

    2 11.76%
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    HCA (Homecourt Advantage)
    Posts
    66,633

    Phil Jackson's Motto - Elite Teams win 40 games before they lose 20 games

    Phil Jackson's Motto - Elite Teams win 40 games before they lose 20 games.

    Link


    Mention the phrase "40 before 20" to Phil Jackson, and you can almost sense his mind flashing back to greatness. The Los Angeles Lakers' coach believes that elite teams win 40 games before they lose 20, a mark achieved by the Lakers in all three of their championships earlier this decade and by the Chicago Bulls in all six of their championships with Jackson as coach in the 1990s according to the Los Angeles Times.
    Do you agree with that notion?

    If so, then other than LA and Cleveland, what teams this year have won 40 games before they lost 20 games?
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

    Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Scarborough, ON
    Posts
    14,378
    I'm not sure, but I think the Nuggets were 39-19 but ended up losing the next game.

    Other than them, I don't think anyone's been closer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,548
    Orlando was close.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29,985
    It would show dominance early on instead of struggling and having to find your grove before cruising before playoffs.

    That notion is flawed at some points imo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,786
    What about a team like the Mavs who may of become "Elite" after the trade half way through the season?

    Or the Lakers a few years back.....what about those teams are they not "Elite"?


    How would that work if a team has 20 loses before 40 wins and then make a trade at the deadline that makes them "Elite"?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    10,980
    I disagree.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    15,603
    I'd disagree but Phil has some weird tell, tell signs for him personally

    - You win 40 before you lose 20
    - You win game 1 of a series
    - You win 60 games in a year

    That is just the formula and standards he sets for himself and his team, and he has 10 rings and 12 finals appearance to prove it works

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,837
    Quote Originally Posted by kblo247 View Post
    I'd disagree but Phil has some weird tell, tell signs for him personally

    - You win 40 before you lose 20
    - You win game 1 of a series
    - You win 60 games in a year

    That is just the formula and standards he sets for himself and his team, and he has 10 rings and 12 finals appearance to prove it works
    Sixers won that game 1 before... and we all know how that turned out. Kobe and Shaq were amazing though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    15,603
    Quote Originally Posted by MTone8788 View Post
    Sixers won that game 1 before... and we all know how that turned out. Kobe and Shaq were amazing though.
    poor guy

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,837
    Quote Originally Posted by kblo247 View Post
    poor guy
    Not nice. Haha



    but anyways, yeah Phils comments are pretty good standards for an elite team, but when it comes down to it, all that really matters is who wins the championship.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    79,474
    but that doesnt factor in home/away games. I like George Karl's way better. The team with the biggest positive gap in Road wins vs Home losses, and point differential, is the best team. Cause if a team plays 36 home games in their first 60 games, and wins 40, they probably arent as good as a team that plays 36 away games in their first 60, and has 40 wins.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    38,596
    I don't think it really matters, but it shows consistency.

    Anything can happen through the course of a season, though. A team could face chemistry issues, injuries or just a bad streak, and still gain momentum going into the playoffs and make a deep run.

    When the playoffs roll around, being dominant in the regular season doesn't matter anymore. Look at the Hawks and Celtics in '08. The Celtics were the best team that season, and Atlanta clicked at the right time and took them to 7 games. Atlanta was by no means an 'elite team' (especially by Jackson's standards) but still took the best team record wise to a game 7.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    79,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I don't think it really matters, but it shows consistency.

    Anything can happen through the course of a season, though. A team could face chemistry issues, injuries or just a bad streak, and still gain momentum going into the playoffs and make a deep run.

    When the playoffs roll around, being dominant in the regular season doesn't matter anymore. Look at the Hawks and Celtics in '08. The Celtics were the best team that season, and Atlanta clicked at the right time and took them to 7 games. Atlanta was by no means an 'elite team' (especially by Jackson's standards) but still took the best team record wise to a game 7.
    no, the Hawks were a matchup nightmare for the Celtics. The C's were a great TEAM defense, but individually, they had some slow players. The Hawks were all athletes that used individual matchup problems. Once the Celtics got thru them, no other team had that athletic ability
    The Heat championship team is a good example of what you are talking about though

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    2,387
    This applies if there was no sudden change in the team (no blockbuster trades and smth like that). Also any team which has 40 and 20 (-+5) is a great team.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •