Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kenyon Martin the last College Senior to be drafted # 1 overall?

He was drafted 1st partly because of how weak the 2000 draft was. My question is to you guys do you see anyone spending 4 years in college, developing their game, gaining the experience of playing college basketball and being drafted 1st in the future or do you see those top players all coming out for the NBA early. The top talents (Carmelo, Oden, Durant etc) all leave these early and so will Wall, Cousins etc (assuming). Does anyone think it will ever happen again where a guy stays four years in college and becomes the #1 overall pick? Or will this trend of years and done continue?

Never again

maybe evan turner if he returns

School in Hoboken, home in Rockland County, NY
    It will at least happen one more time. I mean, if Turner's injury had been a season ending one, he could have been the #1 pick next year.

I believe so. I do get a laugh at how seniors are portrayed nowadays in the NBA draft! Their value is questionable because their age plays a factor in assessing their potential/future in the NBA

If there wasn't this whole worshipping of John Wall, then I think Sherron Collins could've proved he was a worthy #1 pick after this years March Madness results. (huge kansas fan, so being a lil biased).

Only way that happens again is if the NBA raises the age limit

If there are enough junior busts, there'll be more seniors taken higher. It all depends on the players too. Most want to start their careers earlier, and you can't blame them. Who wouldn't want 3 Million a year when you're 19 years old?

I dunno if he is gonna stay true but Cole Aldrich was noted as saying he'd like to finish college before pursuing an NBA career

i really really doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swashcuff View Post
    I dunno if he is gonna stay true but Cole Aldrich was noted as saying he'd like to finish college before pursuing an NBA career
    Nah. he made a pcat with Sherron Collins this year to win a NCAA National Championship. Since they are , he will prolly declare since his stats are off the roof and the tournament will force him to enter the draft!

But, he could come back because kansas can still compete for a Championship next year even without Henry/Collins.

anything can happen, but I believe he wil be wearing an NBA jersey next year.

of course there will be. people get injured and stay extra becouse of that and lots of other reasons. Evan Turner could stay for his sr. year still. it would be dumb but he could. Tim Duncan stayed all 4 years even though he would have been a high pick. that could easily happen again. some people want to stay. i dont think its usually the best decision but if they want to they can.

I think Greg Monroe has the potential to stay 4 years, the fact he didn't even test the waters last year despite being considered a Top 5 pick says a lot. Usually highly rated guys after their freshman year will atleast test the waters.

Harrison Barnes has mentioned that he would like to graduate from college and leave as one of the most decorated players in UNC history.

What is with this disrespect for Kenyon Martin? If you guys are too ignorant to realize that Martin was a Blake Griffin-like dominant player in college before he broke his leg in the C-USA tournament. Despite the injury he still was viewed as the consensus #1 pick.

No way. Its sad but think about already, it hasn't happend in a decade already, and basketball has become a game where superstars are discovered before their 18, kinda like Soccer in europe who scout out 13-15 year olds. NBA is the same now, the best players are guys who go for a 1 and done in college, and I don't think its gonna change anytime soon.

Why would it? We aren't gonna get guys like Duncan who stay in college anymore, cause lets face it when your 17-19 years old and some rich fat guy says "hey kid you want tens of millions of dollars?", at that age its almost impossible to turn down, cause there is more risk then reward in staying in school in the minds of these kids. Injuries, teams in college specifically designing defenses which will drop your stats, all sorts of things can happen to decrease the monetary potential that a kid can earn.

never say never.

it could happen, it just hasn't happen in a long time. im pretty sure it will happen again though. i mean there could be players like Brandon Roy later to come out of college, those players that decide to stay and develop their game.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-BULLS View Post
    never say never.

it could happen, it just hasn't happen in a long time. im pretty sure it will happen again though. i mean there could be players like Brandon Roy later to come out of college, those players that decide to stay and develop their game.
    Yeah i mean its very slim, but at the same time there is almost 1-2 stud one and done players each year that will get selected before a senior. And like I said before, not many superstars/great college players are gonna stay for that senior year, cause the money and endorsements that go along with being the #1 pick is almost impossible to resist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast