Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(Where'd You Go?) What happened to Steve Francis?

I was watching some old clips and AllStar games today when i realized that one of my favorite basketball players of all time had disappeared. Steve Franics.. Accroding to reports he was on January 27, 2009, it was reported that the Grizzlies waived Francis.

He was really a great player check out his stats: 21.0 PPG 6.2 APG 6.2 RPG to 16.6 PPG 5.5 RPG 6.2 APG.- Houston Rockets

21.3 PPG, 7.0 APG and 5.8 RPG in his first season with the Magic!

idk about you guys but i sure do miss Steve Francis aka Stevie Franchise..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ZeB2kPj4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDLfvePfHtc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UvGM...eature=related

Another in a long line of me-first players who are slowly going extinct

Quote Originally Posted by GodsSon View Post
    Another in a long line of me-first players who are slowly becoming more commonplace.
    Had to fix that for you.

Guys like Francis were rarities once they came in the NBA, now a lot of these young guys come into the NBA with the same attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by R_O_W_E View Post
    Had to fix that for you.

Guys like Francis were rarities once they came in the NBA, now a lot of these young guys come into the NBA with the same attitude.
    Francis, Iverson and Marbury have essentially wrapped up their careers...while T-Mac is quickly reaching the end of his, as is Arenas (if it isn't over already)

Read an article about this in Sports Illustrated. Players are becoming blackballed in the NBA who are me-first and cause off-the-court trouble. David Stern got a lot of credit for that, he's pretty strict about it.

Not only was Francis mentioned, but so was Marbury and Bonzi Wells.

Francis, Iverson and Marbury have essentially wrapped up their careers...while T-Mac is quickly reaching the end of his, as is Arenas (if it isn't over already)
    Are those the only people you can think of? Notice how all of these guys have been in the league for 8 years+.

You're forgetting the new breed of ignorant/selfish/me-first Guards:

Jennings
    Mayo
    Monta
    J.R.

It seems you're definition is of a "scoring Point Guard". But dont act like guys like Francis, Iverson, and Marbury were just some guys from 10 years ago, the NBA is still full of players like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakaroach View Post
    Read an article about this in Sports Illustrated. Players are becoming blackballed in the NBA who are me-first and cause off-the-court trouble. David Stern got a lot of credit for that, he's pretty strict about it.

Not only was Francis mentioned, but so was Marbury and Bonzi Wells.
    Really?

I could've swore I just saw Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest play against each other last night.

toronto fan doesnt mention V.C.

anyways I actually wouldnt say Francis was a me-first player. During his prime he was actually pretty unselfish and was a solid all around player. You dont see Combo guards putting up numbers like that on playoffs teams nowadays outside of DWade. And Francis led numerous teams to the playoffs. He worked well as a tandem with Yao early in Yao's career and he was very unselfish during those years.

He was great at penetrating and dishing to the open guy or finishing with his amazing ups.

but the DAY he was traded to the Knicks his career went down the can for whatever reason.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    I don't think David Stern needs to order them black balled, these guys just don't work on winning teams. Replace them with an all-star poitn guard and they do better

Nets + Marbury = lottery
    Nets - Marbury + Kidd = NBA Finals

Suns + Marbury = Lottery
    Suns - Marbury + Nash = WCF

I don't see Francis as the same type fo player as Marbury, he was a better rebounder and in watching him play he knew how to create opprotunities to score, whether it was for himself or for teammates, and the Rockets won with him (at least the didn't get stuck in the lottery) and he ran a great high pick and roll with Yao Ming. And any point guard that picks up 7 boards a game is working hard. And though his turnovers were never as good as the could have been, Francis was a decent play maker.

The oddity of his career was that unlike many players, his FG% actually got worse as his career went on. And if a player gets less effective as a scorer, teams are then less likely to want to sign you. I don't think Francis got black-balled as much as his FG% dropped and he was slowed by injury and put in a bad place in New York where he had to share court time with another score-first point guard.

Now he's on the wrong side of 30 and teams woudl rather invest in young prospects than aged point guard who aren't as effective. Point guard is the one position that is often impacted by the age of the player the earliest. Stockton, Nash and Kidd are obvious exceptions to this rule, but point guards generally lose their legs at a younger age than other positions.

Are those the only people you can think of? Notice how all of these guys have been in the league for 8 years+.

You're forgetting the new breed of ignorant/selfish/me-first Guards:

Jennings
    Mayo
    Monta
    J.R.

It seems you're definition is of a "scoring Point Guard". But dont act like guys like Francis, Iverson, and Marbury were just some guys from 10 years ago, the NBA is still full of players like them.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, those were just the main ones that came to mind

Quote Originally Posted by SeoulBeatz View Post
    toronto fan doesnt mention V.C.

anyways I actually wouldnt say Francis was a me-first player. During his prime he was actually pretty unselfish and was a solid all around player. You dont see Combo guards putting up numbers like that on playoffs teams nowadays outside of DWade. And Francis led numerous teams to the playoffs. He worked well as a tandem with Yao early in Yao's career and he was very unselfish during those years.

He was great at penetrating and dishing to the open guy or finishing with his amazing ups.

but the DAY he was traded to the Knicks his career went down the can for whatever reason.
    That's because VC was never a me-first player, almost to a flaw at times...he didn't have an inflated ego, was a humble guy, and usually tried to stress collective effort over individual effort...I mean, if i remember correctly, the guy forced North Carolina to give his friends scholarships if they wanted him bad enough (and they did)...for as bad the break-up was with Toronto, he never put the city or fans down and was generally a team-oriented player

Francis did play pretty well for the Rockets, but uh wasn't he the player who refused to play for the Grizz if they drafted him? Or as I like to call it pulled an Eli (Manning).

Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    Francis did play pretty well for the Rockets, but uh wasn't he the player who refused to play for the Grizz if they drafted him? Or as I like to call it pulled an Eli (Manning).
    Yep, that was him

Really?

I could've swore I just saw Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest play against each other last night.
    For real? These guys cleaned up there act years ago. Artest is a great example of a team player. If it was all about him he would not have signed with the Lakers. Yeah there was a brawl a few years back, but I think these guys have changed a lot. Sprewell on the other hand with his 21 mil wont feed my kids garbage falls more in line with this thread.

agreed.

That's because VC was never a me-first player, almost to a flaw at times...he didn't have an inflated ego, was a humble guy, and usually tried to stress collective effort over individual effort...I mean, if i remember correctly, the guy forced North Carolina to give his friends scholarships if they wanted him bad enough (and they did)...for as bad the break-up was with Toronto, he never put the city or fans down and was generally a team-oriented player
    Now, i was never a Toronto fan, but i followed VC while he was there. I've never seen him play and DEMANDED the ball. He was a go to guy, but he was never selfish or a me-first player.

And as a Net@Torontos game, he never said anything about the fans or his time as a Raptor. In fact, he thanked the fans after the games and in the interviews.
    Last edited by vash9; 03-06-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast