Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    This article is a few days old, but pretty much sums up what Andrews said in the post above me.

Source: Tampa Tribune

TAMPA - The more you listen to General Manager Mark Dominik, the more you get the feeling the Bucs will spend the better part of free agency watching from the sideline.

But that might not be the case.

Sure, Dominik has made it abundantly clear in recent weeks he thinks the best way to rebuild the Bucs into a perennial playoff contender is through the draft.

Keep in mind, though, that Dominik's philosophy isn't something he suddenly adopted this year. Dominik and the Bucs took the same approach to their rebuilding efforts last year, and they certainly didn't spend the bulk of the 2009 free-agent signing period sitting on the sideline.

They came out of the box last year with an offer to defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth that was more lucrative than the one he accepted from the Washington Redskins.

Tampa Bay went on to sign running back Derrick Ward, linebacker Angelo Crowell, kicker Mike Nugent and quarterback Byron Leftwich, committing more than $12 million in 2009 salaries and guaranteed bonus payouts.

Throw in the fact the Bucs also spent more than $30 million in 2009 salaries and guarantees to keep Antonio Bryant, Michael Clayton, Luke McCown, Ryan Sims, Jermaine Phillips, Jerramy Stevens, Ryan Sims and Will Allen, and you could argue they were quite active during free agency last year.

It is too soon to know if the Bucs will be more or less active this year, but if you listen a little longer and a little closer to Dominik, you have to believe he has at least one impact move on his mind.

Much as he has done with his philosophy on building through the draft, Dominik has made it abundantly clear in recent weeks he puts a premium on rushing the passer.

That, of course, is one of the Bucs' biggest weaknesses, and a look at this year's prospective free agents suggests the opportunity is there for the Bucs to immediately address that need.

Julius Peppers, the Carolina Panthers' versatile yet disgruntled defensive end, is at the top of that list, and he is almost certain to be available once the signing period begins March 5.

Based on what they did last year, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for the Bucs to apply the money they offered Haynesworth to an offer for Peppers, or to make a slightly smaller offer to Aaron Kampman of the Packers.

The Bucs need run stoppers, too, and there is even more help available there, with Vince Wilfork (Patriots), Aubrayo Franklin (49ers) and Ryan Pickett (Packers) expected to be available.

Or maybe the Bucs will take a run at a cornerback such as Dunta Robinson of the Texans or Leigh Bodden of the Patriots, or a receiver such as Kevin Walter of the Texans.

No matter what, it is unlikely the Bucs will spend free agency twiddling their thumbs. That might be the impression Dominik hopes to leave with his rivals, but his recent past tells us to expect something a little different.

I think the whole twiddling his thumbs during free agency is a huge smokescreen I personally think Mark-O will make three free agent signings and one trade. One big name free agent and two decent backups. If Mark-O wants his job next year there is no time for re-building. They must win 7-8 games.
    Last edited by Gdubbz; 02-25-2010 at 04:24 PM.

>Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION

Quote Originally Posted by Gdubbz View Post
    I think the whole twiddling his thumbs during free agency is a huge smokescreen I personally think Mark-O will make three free agent signings and one trade. One big name free agent and two decent backups. If Mark-O wants his job next year there is no time for re-building. They must win 7-8 games.
    I agree 100%

Let's just hope that Dominik does a better job than last year. Crowell, Nugent, & Leftwich - all Busts. Jury still out on Ward. Don't even get me started on Clayton . Because of the Labor situation in the NFL, there are not alot of Free Agents this year and competition will be tough.

Ultimately, I still think we will land a #1 reciever via trade.

Yes, Mark-O had to of gathered another 2nd rounder for this trade to come in place. if Mark-O does not make a trade for a number 1 receiver I will be more then shocked.

I think that Raheem and Mark-O will be extra cautious this year in FA just cause they don't want to throw anymore money out the window like last year.

If Ward is dealt, is LT or Westbrook a good FA pick up? I cant seem to be sure on this one.

Yes, Mark-O had to of gathered another 2nd rounder for this trade to come in place. if Mark-O does not make a trade for a number 1 receiver I will be more then shocked.

I think that Raheem and Mark-O will be extra cautious this year in FA just cause they don't want to throw anymore money out the window like last year.

If Ward is dealt, is LT or Westbrook a good FA pick up? I cant seem to be sure on this one.
    If the price is right I would welcome either running backs, but I'm sure they would both want to sign with a contender for their final years. If Ward gets dealt, I would love to draft a back like Dexter McCluster.

This kid is a big time prospect and quite an impressive weapon on the football field. Sure he is small but honestly so what, he makes plays and is tough despite being smaller than almost anyone that tackles him.

Quote Originally Posted by Quikdraw View Post
    If the price is right I would welcome either running backs, but I'm sure they would both want to sign with a contender for their final years. If Ward gets dealt, I would love to draft a back like Dexter McCluster.

This kid is a big time prospect and quite an impressive weapon on the football field. Sure he is small but honestly so what, he makes plays and is tough despite being smaller than almost anyone that tackles him.
    If he were to last to the 5th round Dexter would be fine, but I see another Darren Sproles/clifton smith hybrid, where does that fit on our team? remember, Huggins runs a low or sub 4.3 supposedly, I would rather have him be our project and draft a position that would actually make an impact on this team.
    I am a member of the BUC NATION

Quote Originally Posted by andrews1469 View Post
    If he were to last to the 5th round Dexter would be fine, but I see another Darren Sproles/clifton smith hybrid, where does that fit on our team? remember, Huggins runs a low or sub 4.3 supposedly, I would rather have him be our project and draft a position that would actually make an impact on this team.
    I always seem to forget about Huggins.

Huggins looked good in preseason, I'm just not sure if he would be the answer if Derrick Ward gets traded. I just think McCluster has more explosion, and is a bigger game changer. He is moving up in a lot of mock drafts, though.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens with Ward.

I always want to relate McCluster to Sproles, but in reality they are completely different.
    McCluster needs to break away when sproles can pretty much take a beating, and break away from tackles. I think that we are all looking for the next Darren Sproles, just cause a player like that is so rare. I think that McCluster will be the first of his kind. If he can deal with being hit and keep healthy he will be the first complete RB/WR hybrid. I think that McCluster is a underrated receiver. He will need a solid blocking wr core to help him out. Thats why I think he will be a Steeler.

About Huggins, I think that he is probably one of the best prospects on our roster that has almost zero playing time. I think that it is safe to say that he is a back that could carry the load. I think that if we don't address the RB position, and even if we do he should not only be a contestant for back up, but perhaps the starter of the trio. I think he has that in him unless he proves me wrong.

More offseason news

Penn, Ruud get highest tenders from Bucs. Trueblood given less as second-round tender

General manager Mark Dominik let some players know this week how much they are valued by the Bucs.

Some will be happier than others.

Left tackle Donald Penn was given a first- and third-round tender ($3.168-million). Linebacker Barrett Ruud was given a first- and third-round tender ($3.268-million). Right tackle Jeremy Trueblood was given a tender for his original second round draft pick ($1.759-million).

Penn has been seeking a long-term extension and is dismayed by the tender, according to his agent.

"They're basically admitting he is one of the best tackles in the league," agent Rocky Arceneaux told The Times. "I think this is ridiculous."

But Dominik said he believed players like Penn and Ruud ultimately are rewarded.

"I think at the end of the day, the players that perform get rewarded in this league,'' Dominik said. "Them being restricted or a second-year player like (Jeremy) Zuttah as a starter, or anybody in the this league -- at the end of the day, if you play well, you get rewarded in this league. I fundamentally believe that.''

Running back Cadillac Williams was technically tendered as a first-round pick, but will be offered a contract at 110 percent of his 2009 salary. It also means that any bonuses or incentives from last year's contract will carry over to his 2010 contract.

The Bucs did not tender receiver Brian Clark, linebacker Matt McCoy and fullback Byron Storer. Dominik says he still has to officially offer tenders to receiver Maurice Stovall, receiver Mark Bradley and linebacker Rod Wilson.

The Bucs are expected to release several veteran players by March 5, a list that likely will include punters Josh Bidwell and Dirk Johnson. Both finished the season on injured reserve last season.

"If we do something, I would do something sooner than later,'' Dominik said.

The Bucs haven't made a decision on quarterback Byron Leftwich. The Bucs have four quarterbacks under contract, including Josh Freeman, Josh Johnson and Rudy Carpenter.

"Right now, he's on the team,'' Dominik said of Leftwich. "I talked to his agent, Tom Condon, yesterday and just said right now we have four quarterbacks under contract and I don't mind that. We'll just see how this thing plays out.''

"It's our choice and we've got to see how Byron likes his position here just like I want to see Alex Van Pelt's opinion. There's no timetable.''
    -St Pete Times

Sorry for the double triple post.

Okay guys, I really dont understand all the talk about us not being ready for certain players because they are expensive or too talented for this team right now. It is a rediculus notion. You play to win the game. We cry about the Glazers being so called cheap, then we say we shouldnt get a certain player because they are too expensive for us. Am I missing the point here? You add premier players to your squad to build. You cant just expect it to happen all at once. That being said, no I wouldnt give up a first for asomugha because of his age but unless we take risks, we will not have very much success.
    Like you said, you have to take risks.

I, like everyone else here, just get tired of reading all of the news and web articles that keep reaffirming the belief that our owners are indeed cheap(not willing to spend money, cutting costs, etc.) Whether it's true or not.

I suppose, in many ways, that's why I've been pining for/hoping that we make a bold move by trading up for Suh. I think fans will appreciate seeing the Glazers take on the financial obligation that comes with the 1st pick, showing that they are in fact willing to spend, and seeing them take a chance on a player that we not only need, but a player that the fans want.

I know that fewer and fewer fans are going to the games, I know because I'm there each game to see it. So yes, it's difficult to justify a "free-spending" mentality for our ownership. But the real fans have endured the ticket prices going up each year(although they didn't go up last year) and I think it's time the Glazers gave back. I'm not asking ownership for a refund(even though we all may deserve it after last year), but a little loyalty to the fan base, a little willingness to help this team, and a desire to win games would go a long, long way.
    Last edited by TKiv18; 03-02-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TKiv18 View Post
    Like you said, you have to take risks.

I, like everyone else here, just get tired of reading all of the news and web articles that keep reaffirming the belief that our owners are indeed cheap(not willing to spend money, cutting costs, etc.) Whether it's true or not.

I suppose, in many ways, that's why I've been pining for/hoping that we make a bold move by trading up for Suh. I think fans will appreciate seeing the Glazers take on the financial obligation that comes with the 1st pick, showing that they are in fact willing to spend, and seeing them take a chance on a player that we not only need, but a player that the fans want.

I know that fewer and fewer fans are going to the games, I know because I'm there each game to see it. So yes, it's difficult to justify a "free-spending" mentality for our ownership. But the real fans have endured the ticket prices going up each year(although they didn't go up last year) and I think it's time the Glazers gave back. I'm not asking ownership for a refund(even though we all may deserve it after last year), but a little loyalty to the fan base, a little willingness to help this team, and a desire to win games would go a long, long way.
    I hear ya, I really do. But I would challenge anyone to go out and get a list of FA's we havent picked up because the Glazers are so cheap and not willing to spend the money. That is just a huge false notion. One of two things happened to all of those candidates, one, we offered and they chose somewhere else, two, the player wasnt even close to being worth his asking price. Draft wise, just take a look at all of our low picks we have had in the last 8 years. We picked positions that potentially cost a redic amount, a DE, a RB, a WR and last year committed to a first round QB. It was just a great job of our FO making deals that are filled with incentives and low guaranteed money. I have no reason to believe the Glazers are going to not allow the FO to sign a certain position because of the contract they bring with them, not in the draft, and not in FA.
    I am a member of the BUC NATION

I hear ya, I really do. But I would challenge anyone to go out and get a list of FA's we havent picked up because the Glazers are so cheap and not willing to spend the money. That is just a huge false notion. One of two things happened to all of those candidates, one, we offered and they chose somewhere else, two, the player wasnt even close to being worth his asking price. Draft wise, just take a look at all of our low picks we have had in the last 8 years. We picked positions that potentially cost a redic amount, a DE, a RB, a WR and last year committed to a first round QB. It was just a great job of our FO making deals that are filled with incentives and low guaranteed money. I have no reason to believe the Glazers are going to not allow the FO to sign a certain position because of the contract they bring with them, not in the draft, and not in FA.
    I absolutely agree. There have been so few FAs that were even worth trying to acquire that we have been/are truly lucky not to have made the moves.

I just want to see ownership quash any doubts. If Suh, for example, is the player we like, the player we need, our guy, and we can trade up to get him, reguardless of the financial commitment, that's what I want to see the Glazers do.

I'm only using Suh as an example. But if he is the #1 player on our board and the coaches and FO deem him the player who will help us the most, I don't want to see us pass on him just because he is more expensive than the next guy. That's what bothers me. This notion that, even though you draft based on talent and need, money matters most. For a team SO far under the cap, like us, this shouldn't even come up.

Don't buy every name FA just because they're available. That's not what I want. Spend wisely. Just don't pass up the guy to save a few extra dollars.

Here's my question: is $35 million guaranteed that much better than $40 million guaranteed?

Thursday night is almost here! cant wait!!!!

Just want to see as much football as possible till one of the dead periods of the off season till the draft.

Thursday night is almost here! cant wait!!!!

Just want to see as much football as possible till one of the dead periods of the off season till the draft.

get the popcorn and soda ready for NFL live at 12:01

Quote Originally Posted by Dleech18 View Post
    get the popcorn and soda ready for NFL live at 12:01

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast