Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is it smart to re-sign Kobe to a new deal ?

Okay, before everyone calls me out for being a Moron, wait a minute.
    What I mean to say is, in a league where a long term, really high salaried contract can kill a teams ability to make moves. Considering Kobe's wear & tear, would it be the smartest move to re-sign him to the reported 4 to 5 year extension he and his agent wants after his final year on his deal next season, which is at 24.8 million dollars. Look, I know Kobe is just 31,,,not 32 til August. But the facts are, age is not what is Important,,,MILAGE is!

Kobe right now has 995 games played for his career.( Not including playoff )
    and just about 37,000 minutes played. And the simple fact is, after next year, Kobe will be over 1100 games played, and over 40,000 minutes.
    And if one looks at the careers of simular players, like a MJ, or Clyde Drexler, or even a Gary Payton,,,ALL of them, once they hit the 1,000 to 1100 games
    played area, they ALL just dramatically fell off from what once was ridiculously
    great yearly statistical numbers. Now, obviously a few of them played well after 1,100 games, like a Payton. But in his last say 200 games of his career, Payton was really a afterthought. Just a complementary player.

If the Lakers say agree to re-sign Kobe to a 4 year extension after next season, for say 120 million. Say a first year salary of 25 million, with 15 % annoual raises. Isn't such a deal a risk considering Kobe will already have over 1,100 games, and 40,000 + minutes played ? Look, I know about being loyal, and keeping a player like Kobe Happy. But, as I said, just from a BUSINESS perspective, would it really be a smart move ? Cause the one thing that IS very clear is that,,ALL of the great former players who played a really long time,,like a MJ, Payton, Drexler, Hakeem, all of them were one day averaging 25 Pts, and great rebounding numbers, ect. And the next season..WHAM,,a 50-60 % fall off in production. So even though Kobe is having a great season this year. And maybe he will next year on his last year of his current deal. Don't be surprised within the next 2 years, Kobe is nothing more than a HUGE Salary Anchor that might be crippling the Lakers management.

Just a thought.

120 MILLION? for 4 YEARS?
    They aren't paying him 30 Million dollars a year.

Yeah, they should still resign him. I think he should retire on the Lakers. He probably will. Why let him go, they're still doing great, and Kobe's not showing any real signs of giving in.

I understand your point, but the lakers will sign him for whatever, 25 mil a year seems a bit steep, even for him, considering that could possibly almost take half a teams cap space

but he is kobe and he will get signed for whatever he wants, and he has many rings to show

even if he does drop off then leave him on the lakers, hopefully they will go away for a while

Well maybe not 30 million a year on average. What I was saying was that Kobe has already stated after exercising his final year next season is that he, and his agent have said they will not take LESS than his 2010/11 salary on a new deal. And they hinted that they want a new, full 4 to 5 years on the deal. So, I don't know what it will come out too.
    But, 25 million + 15 % yearly raises adds up to alot of Jaclk. As far as Kobe showing no signs of slowing down. Hey, one year MJ averaged 32 Pts, 8 rebounds, and 7 assists on 5- % FG shooting. The very next year, it was like 16 Pts a game, half the other numbers, and shooting like 40 % from the field. So what Kobe is doing now is Irrelevant.

remember, kobe was a highschooler when he entered the NBA, so he's likely to be able to put more games/minutes on his body than any of that list of compariables.

I'm not too familiar with NBA salaries but wasn't MJ making like 33 million a year in the 90's?? Not comparing Kobe to MJ but I don't see why you wouldn't pay Kobe what he asks. If there is anybody who works every bit for his money in the league it's gotta be Kobe. I really don't see his game declining anytime soon because the guy is just too fundamentally skilled to just have his game drop from one season to the next.

Is it smart to re-sign KOBE BRYANT to a new deal? .... **** yes

Kobe WILL retire a Laker, so yes, it makes sense to resign him.
    Also, honestly, Kobe will be dropping 25 a game when he is 40.

I don't think he is worth $120 mil for 4 years.

Maybe $120 for 6 is what he could get.

Kobe has no signs of slowing down anytime soon. He's the best conditioned player in the league. His game isn't declining, in fact it's getting better! He could easily play at this level another 5 years.

As far as financially hampering the team with his contract how? The core of the team (Gasol, Bynum, Odom, Artest) are all young and in place for at least the next 3 seasons. Any players needed down the line will just be role players who usually come cheap.

Yes it is smart. He shows no sign of aging yet. Maybe not for 30mill a year, but they should re-sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantShot View Post
    120 MILLION? for 4 YEARS?
    They aren't paying him 30 Million dollars a year.

Yeah, they should still resign him. I think he should retire on the Lakers. He probably will. Why let him go, they're still doing great, and Kobe's not showing any real signs of giving in.
    Yes they are paying him 30+ per year!

but I heard that the deal was about 3 years and 90+millions
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

If it's true that Kobe and his agent won't take less, let's say the Laker's give him less, is he going to sighn somewhere else? Where? He's been here for a while, I assume he want's to be closer to his home, I assume he has plenty of money, I'm gussing he like's it here, I would think his family want's him to stay here, so if the Laker's give him less, would he reject it? Would he go somewhere else?

And if he did go somewhere else where would he go? I am guessing the Clipper's then. And he might have an incentive to go their. I mean if he doesn't stay with the Laker's, then by going Clipper's, He get's to stay in Los Angeles, and he get's an incentive to help that franchies to a championship. Like a new challenge. And hey it might be a thing where he's like let me try to help this team get a championship then. The water ground here.

uhhh, we're talking about a top 10 player in the history of the game, who is still winning championships and in his prime.

Just like when that stupid white anchor guy on ESPN asked Stephen A. Smith if it was smart that the Lakers traded Kwame Brown for a guy, who has been labeled soft, and avgs 18+ pt and 9+ rebs for his career that only 8 other guys in the league avg (Pau Gasol)

IS THAT A TRICK QUESTION??

ONE LAST STAND FOR THE ZEN MASTER!

he is welcomed at the united center.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast