Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Union Leader: "Red Sox prospect Exposito is quick to catch on"

Article in the Union Leader today about Red Sox catching prospect, Luis Exposito...
    http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?...a-8f6a65656daf

A couple of excerpts from the article...
    The Red Sox have three catchers climbing through their minor-league system at a similar rate. Mark Wagner is the oldest and the farthest along, having caught 35 games at Triple-A Pawtucket late last season. Tim Federowicz is the youngest and taking up rear position at this point, having not yet made the jump to Double-A.

Exposito, however, might have the highest upside and the most complete package of skills of the three. With the contracts of Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek up after the 2010 season, the 23-year-old Miami native will have a chance to make his presence known in the not-too-distant future.

"He's got tremendous raw power," Red Sox director of player development, Mike Hazen said. "He might have the best right-handed raw power in our system."
    By BRIAN MACPHERSON
    Soxprospects.com has Exposito rated as the #11 prospect in the organization and lists his "ETA" as 2011. Baseball America does not have Exposito in the Red Sox top 10, but lists Tim Federowicz as the Sox "Best Defensive Catcher" prospect. Soxprospects.com lists Wagner and Federowicz as #19 and #20 respectively.

I look forward to watching Exposito when the Sea Dogs visit Manchester in 2010. Seems like if Exposito can continue to "fine tune" his defense, and work on his plate discipline, he may be a factor for the big club in 2011?
    Thoughts on his potential? Has anyone seen Exposito play?

I haven't seen Exposito play in person.

However, I'm usually hesitant to get too excited about young catchers, mostly because the preparation process for them is so long. I also don't get too excited when I hear "raw power" either...because it usually means some of the more important hitting skills have yet to be developed by the player (and it's those tools that make a hitter successful in the Majors, not raw power). Wily Mo Peņa had tons of raw power...and ended up being forced out of the game at 26.

Exposito hit well in 97 AA PA's in 2009...but it was 97 PA's. From what I have read, it just seems like he still has lots of developing to do...which doesn't surprise me considering he is only 23.

Redsox.com recently did a piece on him, complete with some comments by Casey Kelly on his thoughts about pitching to Exposito:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/ar...=.jsp&c_id=bos

He is exciting, I just wouldn't classify him as a clear fit to replace Martinez and/or Varitek. I think 2010 will be a really important year for him development-wise, one way or the other.

I look forward to your scouting report on him after you see him! I'd also be really interested to see what RedSoxtober and Wake's Fastball have to say about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    I haven't seen Exposito play in person.

However, I'm usually hesitant to get too excited about young catchers, mostly because the preparation process for them is so long. I also don't get too excited when I hear "raw power" either...because it usually means some of the more important hitting skills have yet to be developed by the player (and it's those tools that make a hitter successful in the Majors, not raw power). Wily Mo Peņa had tons of raw power...and ended up being forced out of the game at 26.

Exposito hit well in 97 AA PA's in 2009...but it was 97 PA's. From what I have read, it just seems like he still has lots of developing to do...which doesn't surprise me considering he is only 23.

Redsox.com recently did a piece on him, complete with some comments by Casey Kelly on his thoughts about pitching to Exposito:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/ar...=.jsp&c_id=bos

He is exciting, I just wouldn't classify him as a clear fit to replace Martinez and/or Varitek. I think 2010 will be a really important year for him development-wise, one way or the other.

I look forward to your scouting report on him after you see him! I'd also be really interested to see what RedSoxtober and Wake's Fastball have to say about him.
    My scouting report?!? Haha. You give me too much credit. However, all my material does get more interesting after a couple of ballpark edition plastic-bottled Miller Lites.

You make some good points about the challenges of developing as a catcher. Scouts seem to be concerned about his "long swing" and lack of plate patience. But he's been praised for his ability to connect with pitchers. As a catching prospect, his defense and game-calling will either be his ticket to the bigs, or his link to local line cook jobs at careerbuilder.com

If one of the catchers in the entire Sox system turns out to be an 10 year pro that's a cross between Tek and Tony Pena (IE career averages), it's liable to exceed what we will really get.

If Expo's power is from a long swing, when they try and shorten it, all sorts of pesky problems could result. If they don't mess with him, think a catching version of Phil Plantier. Nice SLG, awful BA/OBP, followed in short order by an exit stage left.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-29-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

Exposito has developed nicely but did not create the same impression on me during his stay in Greenville as much as Federowicz. I had some doubts that Expo would continue to be able to hit but he put up a fairly solid season last year. He seems to be making adjustments to each level pretty well so I'll give him an edge at this point. Federowicz, as much as I liked him, still has to show that it was more than a single season in A ball.

2011 for Expo? Possibly but I doubt that he makes it as the starter. Wagner is quickly aging out of prolonged usefulness but I could see him making the roster in 2011 as the backup (with someone like Barajas signed for 2yrs) with Expo making the roster in 2012 as Wagner moves on.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Exposito has developed nicely but did not create the same impression on me during his stay in Greenville as much as Federowicz. I had some doubts that Expo would continue to be able to hit but he put up a fairly solid season last year. He seems to be making adjustments to each level pretty well so I'll give him an edge at this point. Federowicz, as much as I liked him, still has to show that it was more than a single season in A ball.

2011 for Expo? Possibly but I doubt that he makes it as the starter. Wagner is quickly aging out of prolonged usefulness but I could see him making the roster in 2011 as the backup (with someone like Barajas signed for 2yrs) with Expo making the roster in 2012 as Wagner moves on.
    Any indications as to where these three catchers will start in 2010? At first glance, it seems likely that Wagner will start in Pawtucket, Expo is Portland and Federowicz in Salem. Any chance there will be a Wagner sighting in Boston this year in the event of injury to Tek or Victor?

Absolutely no reason to hurry either of them. If we just need a defensive catcher my choice is easy. As for the long swing it's hard to evaluate them because hand -eye coordination plays a huge role.
    They can certainly be good. Good thing is we do have some options and Exposito improving rapidly certainly bodes well.

"Scouting Report: Big catcher was All-Conference, All-State, and All-Region for St. Pete in 2006. Good ability to get on base and moderate power potential."

From Peter Gammons:
    "One scouting director claims that while some clubs will overdraft a catcher out of desperate need, "none of the catchers in this draft are much better than second or third rounders." That includes Pepperdine's Chad Tracy, who comes with extraordinary bloodlines as Jim's son, as well as high schoolers Max Sapp of Windermere, Fla., and Hank Conger of Huntington Beach, Calif. "We liked Luis Esposito (signed by Boston out of St. Pete J.C. as a draft and follow) better than almost any of them," says a scouting director."

http://www.sonsofsamhorn.net/lofiver...php/t6634.html

http://mattshaw.mlblogs.com/archives...e_luis_ex.html

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKeg View Post
    Any indications as to where these three catchers will start in 2010? At first glance, it seems likely that Wagner will start in Pawtucket, Expo is Portland and Federowicz in Salem. Any chance there will be a Wagner sighting in Boston this year in the event of injury to Tek or Victor?
    You've probably got the slotting right. The Sox tend to do late season promotions and then start the kids at that level the next year.

Barring any other moves, I would assume that Wagner would come up in the event of injury even in light of the G. Molina signing. He does not seem to be much more than a backup at the MLB level. He might have a chance to hang around the clubhouse in Sep. just as prep for the possibility of losing Tek and not re-signing another MLB catcher heading into 2010.

If Expo handles AA the way he did at the end of the 2009 season then I'd expect to see him finishing the year in POR. Federowicz will have to prove that his promotion was not simply due to a hot bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    Haha, I'm quite flattered.

Personally, I love Exposito. I know he got suspended in 2007, but there have been a number of players that specfically mention him as a great teammate since then. I really, really love the way he's been developing, and while I'd take his Portland stats with a huge grain of salt (.452 BABIP), it's also really worth noting that came from him simply hitting the ball better (23% LD%). His K-rate isn't my favorite thing ever, but as is, it's better than Varitek has classically been, and I'm comfortable with that. He could stand to walk a lot more. The power potential certainly is there, and it's been coming out (21 HR, 45 XBH in 417 ABs in 2008, 9 HR, 39 XBH in 370 ABs in 2009). 2010 is going to be a huge year for him. Portland is usually where the Sox start pushing plate discipline on players, and even though it's a small sample size, his stats in the AFL last year really reflect that he's making some progress in that regard. It's going to be a question as to whether he can absorb that into his system while continuing to hit at a progressive pace.

^^ From what I understood Expo (like Hanley) got the message when he was suspended and has been a model citizen since. It's worth bringing down the hammer on a guy if that's what it takes to get through to him.