Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Would the NBA be better off (thinking long term) with a new commissioner?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 50.00%
  • No

22 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does the NBA need a new commisioner

Should the NBA get a new commissioner once David Stern's contract expires?

I never liked him, I felt that he never or almost never takes the right stance and when he does take a stance on something its either way to harsh or way to light.

I think the NBA can become as big if not bigger than the NFL globally and in the US (I am a huge NFL and a moderate NBA fan an that won't change). The right commissioner elevates his product like Taglibue did with the NFL. The right commissioner take a hard stance when he needs to and is always trying to market the league to all people not just select people.

I think its time for Stern to go...what and why do you all think.

The NBA has grown significantly. It is doing very well under Stern for the most part.

My beef with the NBA right now is the refs. I have little faith that the games are officiated fairly. If Stern doesn't fix that situation, it could blow up and ruin everything he has done up to this point.
    http://caamasi-disciples.com/ - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

david stern made the nba what it is today.

The name is Johnny... Johnny CupCakes

Stern has done a great job as commissioner IMO. It's easy to blame the power structure when you dislike something about the sport but a lot of things he gets blamed for are really out of his control. I think his major suspensions (the Artest brawl, Arenas today) have been fair.
    The NBA has flourished economically under his watch and outside of the lockout in 1999 things have gone very smoothly for the most part, something he really doesn't get credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
    Correction jdizzle, Michael Jordan and other great players that have come into the league have made Stern able to make the league what it is today. The global appeal of NBA can be thanked on the images of the NBA stars not David Stern.

I don't think he was very fair with Artest.

A fan instigated with Artest by hitting him with a cup filled with ice. Artest went into the stands. Fans were taking swings at him. Artest was wrong to go into the stands, but consider this.

Stephen Jackson ran into the stands for no good reason. He didn't get hit by the cup. Jackson was taking swings at fans without any provocation.

So why did Artest get 86 games, and Jackson get 30 games? Either they both get the same sentence, or Jackson should have got a worse sentence.
    http://caamasi-disciples.com/ - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

No way. You may hate Stern for his personality and stances on certain issues but as a business man he has done an infinite amount of good for this league. Without him (and several marquee players) this league would have floundered away to less than the wnba.

and to answer the Q, yes David Stern needs to be replaced now, he has out aged the league. The progression in talent has gotten much better but the league's hip hop culture should be in the hands of a younger person with the capabilities to use it the right way. A 60 year old Jewish guy who has been rich his whole life simply doesn't relate to the culture of todays talent. The NBA needs a businessman that can both connect to the players and to the corporate sponsors that make the league what it is.

Stern is a shrewd mother. That's what you want out of a commissioner.

The suspensions have all been spot-on. I can't think of a single one that bothers me except maybe the Carmelo punch.

The dress code was a great idea. Of course its purpose was primarily to lessen the "gangsta" image of the NBA and appeal more to whites, but I don't give a **** about that. To me, it was just a great idea to have players make an entrance all decked out. It makes games seem like an EVENT, like a boxing match or an awards show.

The '99 lockout doesn't bother me too much. No championship seasons were lost, the league came out on top, and it actually sort of softened the post-Jordan blow. That lockout looks like nothing sandwiched between the MLB strike and NHL lockout.

Stern's one blemish so far is the Donaghy scandal and the referees in general. Basketball is easily the most difficult sport to officiate. There's' always going to be complaining, and fans will always think the refs suck. Still, the NBA needs more consistency in calls and higher standards for refs. And you can't, just can't, let a guy get caught fixing/influencing games. Maybe Stern had no knowledge before it came out, but some heads definitely needed to roll there at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
    no no no

Quote Originally Posted by midwestmadman View Post
    Correction jdizzle, Michael Jordan and other great players that have come into the league have made Stern able to make the league what it is today. The global appeal of NBA can be thanked on the images of the NBA stars not David Stern.
    yes yes yes

Jordan, Kobe, Lebron... mega stars.

PS - David Stern should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?

David Stern is a facist who crucifies anyone who challenges his ideas publicly or does not meet his standard of behavior on and off the court. I hate him.

I hate him even more because he helped Clay Bennett move the Sonics out of Seattle. DIE STERN DIE

Quote Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
    I don't think he was very fair with Artest.

A fan instigated with Artest by hitting him with a cup filled with ice. Artest went into the stands. Fans were taking swings at him. Artest was wrong to go into the stands, but consider this.

Stephen Jackson ran into the stands for no good reason. He didn't get hit by the cup. Jackson was taking swings at fans without any provocation.

So why did Artest get 86 games, and Jackson get 30 games? Either they both get the same sentence, or Jackson should have got a worse sentence.
    Yeah, I can't really argue with Artest getting the rest of the season. And the 30/35 games for Jackson/O'Neal doesn't bother me much either. The discrepancy does bother me, though.

Like you said, Stephen Jackson just starts hitting random dudes. At least Artest was going after who he thought hit him. Whatever was going through Jackson's mind when he went up there, it surely wasn't logical. I'm a huge S-Jax fan -- partially because of this -- but that was just ****ing stupid. He and Artest were at least on par.

Artest got a worse suspension because of his troubles before that and because he was the first to go into the stands. The punch at the short, fat "Turtle from Entourage" dude didn't help either. The cameras were right there and things had cooled some until that.

But yeah, Jackson probably should have gotten worse.

stern also rigs the league to just make more of a profit. I understand they want to make money, but I'm sure the NBA makes enough without rigging it and showing favoritism.

Quote Originally Posted by igPay atinLay View Post
    Should the NBA get a new commissioner once David Stern's contract expires?

I never liked him, I felt that he never or almost never takes the right stance and when he does take a stance on something its either way to harsh or way to light.

I think the NBA can become as big if not bigger than the NFL globally and in the US (I am a huge NFL and a moderate NBA fan an that won't change). The right commissioner elevates his product like Taglibue did with the NFL. The right commissioner take a hard stance when he needs to and is always trying to market the league to all people not just select people.

I think its time for Stern to go...what and why do you all think.

Wait..."bigger than the NFL globally"?

From what I know, people I know in other countries know more about nba basketball then they do nfl football...Are they wrong for acknowleding that??

Yes. Stern has done a great job, but it's time for a fresh mind. NBA today is a little stale and needs to be relevant again.

Yea they can use one but i wont be heart broken if he stays. A change would be nice. Im honestly 50/50
    Trill Team
    Buckwheat-jpro611-Me-haggis-cheaptrikz-shammyguy3-Ezio-Cub_StuckinSTL-HOWE do i do it-ugafan-hugepatsfan-Fly-Raps08-09 Champ-Mane-humblehotgenius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast