Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

1st Base Prospects

This is a really depressing froup. There just isn't much at first in the Pirate's Organization. But I figure we might as well go ahead and look at whats there.

none

none

Calvin Anderson (borderline 4)
    Matthew Hauge

Aaron Baker
    Kyle Morgan
    Chris Garcia

Calvin Anderson - Anderson is a mountain of a man 6' 7" and 240 lbs. He is a very strong player and has a ton of raw power although it hasnt translated to many home runs because of his slow bat speed. His average has actually not been bad for a guy with his type of power (260-270). He doesn't walk a ton either and his strikeout rate before last season at least wasn;t too bad either. His defens leaves something to be desired as he committed 10 errors in only 58 games at first base last year. His most interesting stat of all last year was that he had 5 triples, I'm not quite sure how that is possible but somehow he did it. Anderson will probably start the year at high A and split time between 1st and DH. He has tremendous upside 30-40 HR potential but is probably destined to be a DH.

Matthew Hauge - Hauge was originially a 3rd baseman but got pushed across the diamond because of Pedro Alvarez. He has sort of been a forgotten man despite posting good numbers in all areas except for power (this has been his biggest problem). In order to be considered a legitimate prospect, Hauge must show some sort of power potential. He hasn't been the greatest at defense but he has displayed a good arm that would probably be a god fit for right field. Hauge will start the season in AA at 1st base. Unless he develops power his upside is probably a reserve role with a major league team as a back up at first base and right field.

Aaron Baker - Baker didnt show much last year but he did show a little power potential. He is very athletic and even caught some in college. He has a long swing which leads to a high number of strikouts but on the plus side he seems to be decent at drawing walks. His defense is above average. Baker figures to be the starting first baseman in high A. This will only be his second year of pro ball so its tough to tell how he might turn out.

Kyle Morgan - Morgan can play first base or left field but due to the high number of outfielders in the Pirates system I am putting him in with the 1st basemen. Morgan showed a good bit of power last year posting a 541 slugging percentage in A ball last year. His defense isnt great but he isnt a liability either. He bats left handed but for some reason hits left handed pitching better. Morgan will likely start the year at high A and due to the presence of Anderson most of his playing time will come in left field or at DH. Another tough player to project but he appears to have 20-25 homer potential.

Chris Garcia - Garcia is a strange case. He was a 15th round draft choice of the Angels in 2007. He didnt show any power but he hit for a high average and drew a lot of walks in his time in thier system. However after the 2008 season the Angels cut ties with him an he ended up in Independent ball where he did very well. He hit for an average of 361, had an OBP of 442 and a slugging percentage of 470. His defense isn't great and he strikes out a little too much for a guy with his power. He really isnt much more than a project at the moment.

There are a couple of other young players in the low levels but none of them needs mentioning at this moment. As you can see there isn't much there. Feel free to add comments.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

i kinda feel that they may still put clement and pearce as prospects because they dont have much ML time, and it makes our depth look better, but i did like when they signed garcia a few months ago

Quote Originally Posted by AaronDeGlau View Post
    i kinda feel that they may still put clement and pearce as prospects because they dont have much ML time, and it makes our depth look better, but i did like when they signed garcia a few months ago
    They are still kind of prospects but not really. I usually remove the term prospect once a player is unable to qualify for rookie of the year. For the likes of Donnie Veal an obvious exception should be made but he too wont be included on my list.

Clement and Pearce do deserve a mention here though. I will cover them in my big league piece, which should start mid to late february.

I am hoping to do about two positions a week. Next up second base which doesnt look too much more promising than 1st. By far 1st and second are our two worst positions.

Wow, Anderson is a BEAST. 1B is one of the positions that the Pirates will need to explore in the future. I don't know if a 1B of Anderson, Clement, Pearce, or Jones can lead a contending team, unless Anderson rapidly develops a tremendous eye.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseWithFleas View Post
    Wow, Anderson is a BEAST. 1B is one of the positions that the Pirates will need to explore in the future. I don't know if a 1B of Anderson, Clement, Pearce, or Jones can lead a contending team, unless Anderson rapidly develops a tremendous eye.
    Yes he has some potential to be possibly deadly. But he has to fix his swing or else he wont hit the ball nearly enough to be effective.

anderson is another brad eldred

Quote Originally Posted by AaronDeGlau View Post
    anderson is another brad eldred
    He definately has that look. Free swinger, tons of raw power who has a lot of trouble making contact. That describes him well. If he can improve his contact he could be a dominate player but that is indeed a giant IF.

My grading system is apparently confusing, so I'll make it simplier and repost grades.

5 - Elite/Very Good
    4 - Good
    3 - Fair/Avergae
    2 - Marginal/ Not Established
    1 - Organizational Player/ Minor League Vet

I will also use +/- to distinguish between the ranks. Note 1's and 5's wont have these.

1st Base
    Calvin Anderson: 3+
    Matthew Hauge: 3-
    Kyle Morgan: 2+
    Aaron Baker: 2
    Chris Garcia: 2

Note: Anderson + is optimistically added. He has a ton of raw power. So he keeps it for now.