Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Any Update about Ryan Westmoreland?

Only that he's not at a rehab facility. The family and team have been very guarded about the process. You can read the latest here.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Only that he's not at a rehab facility. The family and team have been very guarded about the process. You can read the latest here.
    Thanks for the Update

Hope he gets well soon

Lavarnway off to another hot start. 3 HR, hitting .471
    He had 21 HR last year.

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    Kelly 3.0 2 0 0 0 2 0 0.00

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Lavarnway off to another hot start. 3 HR, hitting .471
    He had 21 HR last year.
    http://soxprospects.com/players/lavarnway-ryan.htm

I don't know why he isn't talked about very much. He isn't very good on defense but has plus bat, plus power, plus vision. Probably worse defensively than Vmart and Tek. Probably will be a DH. I think he has a future with us. Casey Kelly with another good performance.

Went to the Sea Dogs first game today and half of the second to see Kelly pitch. He was unreal. So much better to see him in person. Made me a real believer.

Quote Originally Posted by avrpatsfan View Post

I don't know why he isn't talked about very much. He isn't very good on defense but has plus bat, plus power, plus vision. Probably worse defensively than Vmart and Tek. Probably will be a DH. I think he has a future with us. Casey Kelly with another good performance.
    I think it was the lack of defense that made people not talk about him, and at least the perceived notion that since he's a polished college kid he SHOULD hit well at the lower levels. I know they don't seem to want to move him up until he gets more reps in at catcher, but with Fedex planted there and others, they should maybe start thinking about getting him more playing time at LF/1B.

Im glad to see Lars doing well
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Quote Originally Posted by JMP83 View Post
    I think it was the lack of defense that made people not talk about him, and at least the perceived notion that since he's a polished college kid he SHOULD hit well at the lower levels. I know they don't seem to want to move him up until he gets more reps in at catcher, but with Fedex planted there and others, they should maybe start thinking about getting him more playing time at LF/1B.
    Agreed. It's not as though he's a mediocre prospect come out of nowhere to hit.. the Sox gave him $325k to sign. If they're really convinced his future isn't behind the plate I don't get why they're at least not giving him a look somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    Im glad to see Lars doing well
    Yeah he's had a nice start. The slight issue I've got is that he's got 10 Ks in 34 ABs, meaning his BABIP is up close to .450, which he's not likely to sustain.

Quote Originally Posted by avrpatsfan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JMP83 View Post
    Having watched Lavarnway and Federowicz share C/DH duties here in Greenville last year there is little doubt in my mind that Federowicz is the stronger candidate to stick in BOS. It's not that Lavarnway is bad but that Federowicz is just that much better. He _could_ end up as a DH but that's a fairly narrow gate through which to enter MLB. I'd be more convinced that he'd be a "sleeper pick" in a bigger trade for a team needing catching depth in their system.

Roman Mendez continues to be positively awful. In his second start he managed to make it through the second inning. But that was the good news. Opponents are hitting .455 off the kind and he failed to record a single ground ball out. He gave up 6ER on 5H (2HR) and 3BB.

Derrik Gibson is the offensive standout so far. He's putting up a .314/.385/.343 line so far with 3SB. He's had four multi-hit games in his first 9 contests so far.

Michael Almanzar is still not making great contact but he's finally starting to work the strike zone. He's at .219/.342/.469 with two doubles and two HR. Reymond Fuentes is in a similar mold with a .226/.342/.290 line, 2 doubles and 4SB.

Drake Britton had a great second outing, pitching five scoreless innings on three hits, no walks, and 5 strikeouts. He dropped his ERA to 2.00 with a 1.11 whip. Kendall Volz got credit for the win on the night after yielding two runs in his first inning of relief. Volz shut things down after that, though, finishing with those 2ER on 4 hits over 4IP. Volz now has 7K/0BB in 8IP.

Yepier Castillo just finished his third start and leads the team with 18K (8bb) in 14IP.

Oh, and should anyone still be tracking the kid, Lars Anderson is hitting to the tune of .295/.368/.559 with 3 doubles and a pair of homers on the young season.

Worth noting the opening lines of two of our prospects who need a good year..

Will Middlebrooks .343/.439/.486 in 35 ABs
    Oscar Tejeda .389/.395/.556 in 36 ABs

I really like Middlebrooks and he had a decent year last year turning things around in the middle of the season
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Quote Originally Posted by Wake's Fastball View Post
    Worth noting the opening lines of two of our prospects who need a good year..

Will Middlebrooks .343/.439/.486 in 35 ABs
    Oscar Tejeda .389/.395/.556 in 36 ABs
    Yeah, the whole Salem club is raking. I wish I lived a little further north.

Personally, I would not put Middlebrooks in the "needing to have a good year" category. He was a young (HS) draftee and has improved each year. He lost a fair amount of time while the Sox tried to get Almanzar to turn his "unlimited potential" into something more tangible. His second half was very good... once they ditched Almanzar in Lowell and got Middlebrook regular starts.

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast