Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Too bad Tazawa is out for the year. Saw the Portland game. Iglesias and Kalish off to a hot start in 1 game . I'm excited to see Kelly pitch. He is Portland's #5 pitcher I think.

Just bought tickets to Casey Kelly's first home start, pretty pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston-Born View Post
    Just bought tickets to Casey Kelly's first home start, pretty pumped.
    Nice! If he can do well against Tampa Bay regulars, he should do well in the AA! Hopefully he brings his success into Portland.

doubront sort of reminds me of a casey fossum, lefty with a big hook, could be in the rotation in a year or 2 and has a big curve

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan7493 View Post
    doubront sort of reminds me of a casey fossum, lefty with a big hook, could be in the rotation in a year or 2 and has a big curve
    I actually like this comparison a lot, I guess my only means of nitpicking are that Doubront's got a nicer changeup than Fossum did, and I think his frame possibly projects to fill out a little better. Fossum was a twig.

Kelly allows no earned run in his first start. Iglesias hitting 350 with a 400 OBP through 5 games. Good so far! Man I hope I get to see Iglesias in Fenway.

Quote Originally Posted by avrpatsfan View Post
    Kelly allows no earned run in his first start. Iglesias hitting 350 with a 400 OBP through 5 games. Good so far! Man I hope I get to see Iglesias in Fenway.
    Before we get too carried away with Kelly's debut, it was ONLY 2IP. It's also worth noting that he gave up three hits and a walk. It was not really that great a start I don't think.

What's interesting is that they REALLY seem to be limiting his IP up front. Most SP prospects are going for 4IP the first few turns in the rotation right now (at least in the Sox org). It seems that they want to make sure he lasts longer into the season. I'll leave it to others to draw out the implications there.

The start here in Greenville has been pretty lame. Derrik Gibson has hit pretty well and "who's he?" candidate Chris McGuinness (1B from the Citadel in relatively nearby Charleston) has been on fire: four multi-hit games in his first five with two 3-hit games carrying him to a .474/.565/.526 line so far. Still, the Drive have dropped four straight since winning opening day.

Drake Britton struggled with control, walking 4 in his 4.2IP debut. He also gave up 3 hits.

Kendall Volz looked good as a "piggyback starter", allowing only 1 hit, 1ER, in 4IP. He had 3K.

Roman Mendez was a mess, though. He failed to make it out of the second inning, giving up five hits and three walks (3K) for 4 ER in only 1.2IP. I think he hit 98 on the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    The start here in Greenville has been pretty lame. Derrik Gibson has hit pretty well and "who's he?" candidate Chris McGuinness (1B from the Citadel in relatively nearby Charleston) has been on fire: four multi-hit games in his first five with two 3-hit games carrying him to a .474/.565/.526 line so far. Still, the Drive have dropped four straight since winning opening day.

Drake Britton struggled with control, walking 4 in his 4.2IP debut. He also gave up 3 hits.

Kendall Volz looked good as a "piggyback starter", allowing only 1 hit, 1ER, in 4IP. He had 3K.

Roman Mendez was a mess, though. He failed to make it out of the second inning, giving up five hits and three walks (3K) for 4 ER in only 1.2IP. I think he hit 98 on the gun.
    I think Britton is a good candidate to have an excellent year since returning from TJS, but he's going to struggle with control for a while. But I look forward to him making slow strides in control/command to join his already impressive velocity.

Before we get too carried away with Kelly's debut, it was ONLY 2IP. It's also worth noting that he gave up three hits and a walk. It was not really that great a start I don't think.

What's interesting is that they REALLY seem to be limiting his IP up front. Most SP prospects are going for 4IP the first few turns in the rotation right now (at least in the Sox org). It seems that they want to make sure he lasts longer into the season. I'll leave it to others to draw out the implications there.

I wasn't getting carried away. I said good so far. BTW the reason he is only pitching around 50 pitches or 2-4 innings is so he isn't shut down at mid season like a lot of minor league pitchers do. He said something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by avrpatsfan View Post
    I wasn't getting carried away. I said good so far. BTW the reason he is only pitching around 50 pitches or 2-4 innings is so he isn't shut down at mid season like a lot of minor league pitchers do. He said something like that.
    I am not suggesting that you were getting carried away. I am saying that we need to be careful about reading "no earned runs in his debut!" The way that was phrased could be misleading without more context. For example, it sounds as impressive as the debut of Aroldis Chapman, but Chapman threw 4.2IP and fanned nine while yielding five hits and a walk. It sounds slightly better than Strasburg because he allowed 1ER but he also pitched 5IP with 4H, 2BB, and 8K. Kelly's debut was not nearly as impressive as either of those other highly anticipated pitching prospects.

I know that his pitch count is very limited. My point on that is that it is MUCH more limited that most prospects (4-5IP is typical in April). It's quite obvious that the answer to the question "why" is "so he can pitch more later in the season." There is no doubt that he has to make up significant ground in his IP build up having capped 2009 at 100 IP (incl ST). I was inviting you (and others) to speculate WHY they would want him to pitch more later in the season.

To be less subtle, feel free to project Kelly into the PAW rotation later this year and to fantasize about Kelly joining the Sox in a Sept call up this year. I doubt that he'd get significant mound time with BOS but I think it's entirely reasonable that he could get to the BP in Sep simply because of the way the Sox are bending over backwards for him; they might get him there simply to soak up the experience and possibly knock out his first MLB appearance in a meaningless mop-up inning of a meaningless game.

I am not suggesting that you were getting carried away. I am saying that we need to be careful about reading "no earned runs in his debut!" The way that was phrased could be misleading without more context. For example, it sounds as impressive as the debut of Aroldis Chapman, but Chapman threw 4.2IP and fanned nine while yielding five hits and a walk. It sounds slightly better than Strasburg because he allowed 1ER but he also pitched 5IP with 4H, 2BB, and 8K. Kelly's debut was not nearly as impressive as either of those other highly anticipated pitching prospects.

I know that his pitch count is very limited. My point on that is that it is MUCH more limited that most prospects (4-5IP is typical in April). It's quite obvious that the answer to the question "why" is "so he can pitch more later in the season." There is no doubt that he has to make up significant ground in his IP build up having capped 2009 at 100 IP (incl ST). I was inviting you (and others) to speculate WHY they would want him to pitch more later in the season.

To be less subtle, feel free to project Kelly into the PAW rotation later this year and to fantasize about Kelly joining the Sox in a Sept call up this year. I doubt that he'd get significant mound time with BOS but I think it's entirely reasonable that he could get to the BP in Sep simply because of the way the Sox are bending over backwards for him; they might get him there simply to soak up the experience and possibly knock out his first MLB appearance in a meaningless mop-up inning of a meaningless game.
    If he is called up to AAA I wouldn't be surprised to see him in our pen in september the way it has been performing. It's more likely he ends the year in AAA.

WF's speculation.. Kelly's never pitched past June in his life. While the IP count is a factor, I'd imagine that stretching him out past that June end date to August or September is pretty well on their minds.

Pimentel and Doubront both looked great last night..
    Pimentel 5 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 5 Ks
    Doubront 4 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 6 Ks

What type of player does Reymond Fuentes project to be like ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYY NYJ NYK View Post
    He's really fast...and I'm not sure I ever see him really bulking up. My early guess would be that he could end up a slap-hitting leadoff guy, with high caliber defense.

He is Carlos Beltran's cousin, though, so I'd take any bit of talent that gene pool could provide.

Quote Originally Posted by NYY NYJ NYK View Post
    He's Carlos Beltran's cousin. According to Beltran himself, the two are comparable. Hopefully without the injuries, though!

Patriots Playoffs 2012: Go Hard Or Go Home!

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast