Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 605
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake's Fastball View Post
    I don't know where you're getting the "Kalish has no power" idea from. 18 HRs in 400 ABs last year, combined with a .460 SLG% and .840 OPS are certainly pretty good power numbers from a 5-tool guy like Kalish, coupled with the fact that he was still on his way back from a bad wrist injury all last season.

    In other news, Sox released the Portland roster today, and both Casey Kelly and Jose Iglesias will be starting the season with the Sea Dogs in AA.
    My guess is that he dismissed Kalish based on ignorance of the wrist injury that slowed his progression between SS Lowell and Greenville. The kid's been awesome and was a joy to watch. He's a more complete player than Ellsbury, for sure.

    Oh, and it just so happens that he projects to hit Fenway around the time that Boras clients like Ellsbury and Drew hit FA. Fancy that. What a coincidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake's Fastball View Post
    Daniel Nava's also starting the season in AAA, a move I know a number of board members have been clamoring for. Time to see what he's made of.


    Okay, a bit over the top but IMO Nava is no more than an answer to a trivia question. Consistently playing a few years older than the competition he'll be fairly well exposed at AAA. It could make a nice feel-good movie but I think it stops here. See Bell, Bubba.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    12,325
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Okay, a bit over the top but IMO Nava is no more than an answer to a trivia question. Consistently playing a few years older than the competition he'll be fairly well exposed at AAA. It could make a nice feel-good movie but I think it stops here. See Bell, Bubba.
    To be fair, Nava's track record is slightly more promising than Bell's. Bubba had an unreal half a season in Lancaster, but his line there was so far out of whack with the rest of his career that it was pretty clear he wasn't as good as his stat line advertised. While I'm not on the Nava bandwagon, the fact that he's been consistent as he's gone through the levels and didn't have the problems adapting to AA ball that Bell did I'm a little more optimistic with Nava than Bell.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake's Fastball View Post
    To be fair, Nava's track record is slightly more promising than Bell's. Bubba had an unreal half a season in Lancaster, but his line there was so far out of whack with the rest of his career that it was pretty clear he wasn't as good as his stat line advertised. While I'm not on the Nava bandwagon, the fact that he's been consistent as he's gone through the levels and didn't have the problems adapting to AA ball that Bell did I'm a little more optimistic with Nava than Bell.
    The comparison with Bell was primarily that they were both older than their peers with some eye popping numbers. Nava has admittedly been more consistent. Still, playing in AA at age 26 as a positional player is WAY behind the curve. He has been a consistent hitting machine but he's also never played 100 games in a season either. I just don't see it.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,930
    These are the tentative rosters the Red Sox e-mailed over yesterday.

    AAA PAWTUCKET

    Pitchers: Randor Bierd, Michael Bowden, Fernando Cabrera, Fabio Castro, Alan Embree, Kris Johnson, T.J. Large, Robert Manuel, Adam Mills, Joe Nelson, Chad Paronto, Ramon A. Ramirez, Dustin Richardson.

    Catchers: Dusty Brown, Gustavo Molina, Mark Wagner.

    Infielders: Aaron Bates, Kevin Frandsen, Tug Hulett, Jorge Jimenez, Ryan Khoury, Angel Sanchez.

    Outfielders: Bubba Bell, Darnell McDonald, Daniel Nava, Josh Reddick.

    Manager: Torey Lovullo. Pitching coach: Rich Sauveur. Hitting coach: Gerald Perry.

    Tickets/Schedule: Go to PawSox.com.

    Breakdown: Major League rehabs Boof Bonser and Daisuke Matsuzaka are also with the Pawsox for several weeks. As is typical for AAA, this is an older team with a lot of big-league experience. You'll see plenty of these guys with the Red Sox over the course of the year. The PawSox should have a better team than last year and will be interesting to watch.

    ------------

    AA PORTLAND

    Pitchers: Robert Coello, Bryce Cox, Andrew Dobies, Felix Doubront, Stephen Fife, Tommy Hottovy, Casey Kelly, Ryne Lawson, Ryne Miller, Eammon Portice, Jason Rice, Kyle Weiland.

    Catchers: Juan Apodaca, Luis Exposito, Jon Still.

    Infielders: Lars Anderson, Ray Chang, Jose Iglesias, Yamaico Navarro, Nate Spears

    Outfielders: Chih-Hsien Chiang, Ryan Kalish, Che-Hsuan Lin, Jason Place, Matt Sheely.

    Manager: Arnie Beyeler. Ptching coach: Bob Kipper. Hitting coach: Dave Joppie.

    Tickets/Schedule: Go to Seadogs.com.

    Breakdown: Do yourself a favor, go see this team play because there are a lot of players on this roster who could be important members of the Red Sox in the next 12-24 months. This is probably one of the more talent-laden teams the Red Sox have had in years. Kelly, Iglesias, Kalish, Exposito, Lin, Navarro, Weiland and Doubront were all in big-league camp and looked good.

    ------------

    HIGH A SALEM

    Pitchers: Caleb Clay, Kyle Fernandes, Mitch Herold, Brock Huntzinger, Jeremy Kehrt, William Latimer, Michael Lee, Blake Maxwell, Stolmy Pimentel, Fabian Williamson, Alex Wilson.

    Catchers: Tim Federowicz, Ryan Lavarnway, Will Vazquez.

    Infielders: Ryan Dent, Drew Hedman, Jon Hee, Will Middlebrooks, Anthony Rizzo,Oscar Tejada.

    Outfielders: Mitch Dening, Alex Hassan, Peter Hissey, David Mailman.

    Manager: Kevin Boles. Pitching coach: Dick Such. Hitting coach: Carlos Feebles.

    Tickets/schedule: So to the Salem web site.

    Breakdown: Lots of prospects here, too. Pimental is a fast-rising starter. Federowicz got caught in a numbers crunch and could be in Portland before the year is out. Rizzo is a solid prospect at first base and Middlebrooks has a lot of fans in the front office.

    ------------

    LOW A GREENVILLE

    Pitchers: Anatanaer Batista, Drake Britton, Cesar Cabral, Yeiper Castillo, Jordan Flasher, Roman Mendez, Dennis Neuman, Pedro Perez, Ryan Pressly, Manuel Rivera, Pete Ruiz, Kendal Volz.

    Catchers: Dan Butler, Mike Thomas, Will Vazquez.

    Infielders: Mike Almanzar, Zach Gentile, Derrik Gibson, Chris McGuiness, Ken Roque, Luis Segovia.

    Outfielders: Ronald Bermudez, Rey Fuentes, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Wilfred Pichardo, Shannon Wilkerson.

    Manager: Billy McMillon. Pitching coach: Kevin Walker. Hitting coach: Luis Lopez.

    Schedule/Tickets: Go to the Greenville Drive web site.

    Breakdown: Lots of familiar names from Lowell on this roster. Fuentes is a former first-round pick.
    Source: Boston Globe


    Bummed out that I missed Alex Wilson, but Britton, Mendez, and Volz should be fun to watch and maybe Younginer makes it up from Lowell before season's end.

    Almanzar has got to be on a "make it or break it" season. My guess is the latter.

    OF of Fuentes, Hazelbaker, and Wilkerson should be fun to watch for (most of) a season.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    12,325
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Source: Boston Globe


    Bummed out that I missed Alex Wilson, but Britton, Mendez, and Volz should be fun to watch and maybe Younginer makes it up from Lowell before season's end.

    Almanzar has got to be on a "make it or break it" season. My guess is the latter.

    OF of Fuentes, Hazelbaker, and Wilkerson should be fun to watch for (most of) a season.
    Manny Rivera's a nice prospect too.. right in the Pimentel mold. Derrik Gibson and Ken Roque is a solid MI combo to watch as well.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    44,353
    As usual Portland is the must see team. I have tickets for two games up there already - yeah.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

    Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,525
    Portland wow.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    24,473
    Gotta get myself up to Portland at some point this summer.

    Patriots Playoffs 2012: Go Hard Or Go Home!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    As usual Portland is the must see team. I have tickets for two games up there already - yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Portland wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Intimidator View Post
    Gotta get myself up to Portland at some point this summer.
    Wish I could live in Boston and catch Sox games all summer, but I'm fine with catching 4 or 5 games a year in Boston and as many Sea Dog games as I have time for.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    12,325
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    As usual Portland is the must see team. I have tickets for two games up there already - yeah.
    Thankfully Pawtucket finally has a few prospects (Reddick, Jimenez, Bowden) that are actually worth going to watch.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake's Fastball View Post
    Manny Rivera's a nice prospect too.. right in the Pimentel mold. Derrik Gibson and Ken Roque is a solid MI combo to watch as well.
    I'm interested to see Gibson but can't really say I'm excited about it. For all the fanfare when he was selected, he's been a slow-and-steady type progressing through the system.

    Side note: Interesting to see that Tejeda has been switched to 2B in favor of Dent at SS.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    I'm interested to see Gibson but can't really say I'm excited about it. For all the fanfare when he was selected, he's been a slow-and-steady type progressing through the system.

    Side note: Interesting to see that Tejeda has been switched to 2B in favor of Dent at SS.
    I don't think he was switched in favor of Dent as much as he was switched in anticipation of Jose Iglesias being the SS of the future.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,525
    Last edited by Station 13; 04-09-2010 at 12:34 AM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,445
    Portlands looking good tonight.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    12,325
    Kalish, Exposito and Lin all hit opening-night HRs, Iglesias went 2/4 and Felix Doubront allowed 2 ER over 5 IP, striking out 2. Brock Huntzinger and Drake Britton are prospects of note on the mound tonight for their respective clubs

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •