Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Can players develop a killer instinct on the court over time?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 40.00%
  • No

9 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can players develop a killer instinct on the court over time?

Can players develop a killer instinct on the court over time or do they need it from the beginning?

I look at someone like Derrick Rose and he seems to be wayyyy too passive and I hope he can get a killer instinct over time. But do players get that instinct over time or do they have to already have it?

Thoughts!!!!
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

Killer Instinct isn't like talent, it can't be taught or learned. Either you have it or you don't.

While there's always motivational issues that may arise and temporarily make someone play above their level, or with higher aggression (e.g. Bo Kimble after Hank Gathers died), that will usually come back down to normal. I would have to say that it's either there or it isn't, and it can't just be turned on and kept on later in your career.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

I think it can be honed, but it isn't something that players learn to have.

Rose is a bad example though. He has decent instincts, he's just on an unbalanced team and he's had some nagging injuries this season.
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."
    Dr. Johnson

I think it can be coached I think there are coaches smart enough to say to a guy "we need you to be aggresive in that situation", and players smart enough to listen...

I say yes many players have developed that clutch factor after a couple of seasons in the NBA.. Look at Dirk, Lebron, and Kobe. In the begining of their carreers they were not the guys you thought could take over a game and also finish games in a last second shot, but now you can't deny them.

The killer instinct is in your personality and personality is in your genes, can't be taught.

Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    Can players develop a killer instinct on the court over time or do they need it from the beginning?

I look at someone like Derrick Rose and he seems to be wayyyy too passive and I hope he can get a killer instinct over time. But do players get that instinct over time or do they have to already have it?

Thoughts!!!!
    No, I don't think it's something you can develop over time as it is part of someone's personality. You look at guys like Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Bird, etc... those guys are assasins on the court and always want to go for the jugular, so to speak....
    Last edited by Lakersfan2483; 12-07-2009 at 03:54 PM.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nl7ngy.jpg

Bring Back the Zen Master.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Killer Instinct isn't like talent, it can't be taught or learned. Either you have it or you don't.
    Yep.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nl7ngy.jpg

Bring Back the Zen Master.

Guys who have gone down as the most clutch ever have all had it in their personality but that doesn't mean every player has to be like that to perform late in the game.

Pau Gasol is the best example for me. Since coming to the Lakers he's become much more assertive at the end of games. Look at how scared he looked in the '08 Finals and how assertive he was in '09.

I think it has something to do with how you are raised or genetics. No chance you can learn it.
    ٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃̃)۶

Instinct is within you dogg, your born with it. You don't develop instincts.

Honestly that is one thing that Kobe has that Lebron doesnt. Lebron is great, but he doesn't have that ruthless aggression. When Kobe steps on the court, he's out for blood.

nope. you can get more aggressive. But to take that ball with 2 seconds left down 2 and to make that dagger 3. You gotta be a killer.
    Got the Shades Ready for All those $hiny Rings

Quote Originally Posted by MSG34 View Post
    Carmelo Anthony has now hit as many game winning shots in a knick jersey as the Lebron, Wade and Bosh have this season

it cant be taught. its natural.

#24 Kobe "The Black Mamba" Bryant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast