Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Crystal Ball..Future Contenders of the west

i was reading a thread about the Minnesota T-Wolves being a playoff team in a few years..it got me wondering about how the west will Re-shape within the next 5 years. We all know Le'Bron will more then likely stay on the East Coast, same can be said for Wade..unless by some odd occurance one them ends up -GULP- with the Lakers.. Look around the West 4 teams really stand out as being legitimate contenders once the Lakers and Spurs hit the down slope..
    #1 Oklahoma City.. Legit Super-star in Kevin Durant has already got a better supporting cast then Le'Bron has ever seen in my opinion, If Presti keeps this team together and can add a good shot-blocker..this team will be scary, I'm already picking them to contend for the 8th or 9th spot THIS season, Harden is going to balance this team, he'll be like Joe Johnson on the 04-05 Suns. I Think Westbrook is fantastic. Green needs to get stronger if he's going to be a 4 in this league and Thabo will be a good 6th man. I've only seen these guys play maybe 5 or 6 times against the Suns, but they bring it everytime.

#2 Memphis.. This might be a long shot to say they will be contenders because we know their history. I think its a shame if they bring in both A.I and Randolph because it will hurth the growth of Gay and Mayo, the owner obviously doesn't know what he's doing.. He's trying to sell the team but cant because they stink..but they have a lot talent. To be honest I don't see Gay sticking around and I don't see Mayo sticking around, but if you get new owners then who knows.

#3 Minnesota.. I questioned in an early thread what Ricky Rubio's trade value is because I don't think he'll ever play a game in a wolves Jersey. If they can flip Rubio into a few good role players, well watch out. Big Al is a stud, Love is suprisingly good, they have Corey Brewer but from what I hear the Gomes kid is better? (Is that right Minny fans?) If they get the right pieces for Rubio then they are going to be a constant playoff contender in the next decade. I like Laimbeer coaching Al and Love, i don't think Rambis is a head coach in the NBA and i think Big Bill will replace his old adversary by the middle of the season.

#4 Portland.. Already a playoff contender but when do we start considering them Championship material? The Minute Greg Oden becomes Hakeem instead of Sam Bowie

Of course trades and free agency all have bearing on whether these teams fall or rise..But in 5 years..would you be suprised if these 4 teams were the tops in the western conference? (Barring Memphis doesnt give all its players to the Lakers)

Imagine the Grizzlies lineup in the future if everyone lives up to their potential.

C-Hasheem Thabeet
    PF-Marc Gasol
    SF-Rudy Gay
    SG-OJ Mayo
    PG-Mike Conley

6th-Darrell Arthur

The Kings aren't lookin' bad for the future either with a few more pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Imagine the Grizzlies lineup in the future if everyone lives up to their potential.

C-Hasheem Thabeet
    PF-Marc Gasol
    SF-Rudy Gay
    SG-OJ Mayo
    PG-Mike Conley

6th-Darrell Arthur

don't the grizz have zack randolph? so he woudln't be starting or coming off the bench?

C-Hasheem Thabeet
    PF-Marc Gasol
    SF-Rudy Gay
    SG-OJ Mayo
    PG-Mike Conley

6th-Darrell Arthur

If they sign Iverson, and he Randolph accept the team first concept..I think they have a better shot at the 8th seed then OKC this season oh and if Thabeet can even play like a 37 year old Dikembe

You didnt really just put a team with the second best record in the west and Nortwest division co champs in with three of the worst teams in the west.

All of those teams have a "chance" in a few yrs but the Blazers are leaps and bounds ahead of the others and just because a team is young and has a few good players doesnt mean they will continue to progress. Look at the Clippers they have a top 5 pick every yr and they always challenge to be the west dooormat.

when any of those teams hit 50 wins and make the playoffs then you can make an arguement for those teams(not talking about the Blazers).

The Blazers are establishing themselves as a top west team and title contender now(still got some work to do) but the only thing those other teams have in common with the Blazers is youth on their team.

I have nothing against those teams at all, even kinda like all 3 but there's a ways to go for all three.
    Last edited by blazerman; 09-05-2009 at 02:22 AM.

The Lakers will always be contenders. I think the Clips have a bright future along with GS.
    Greatness is a Virtue

You said in a couple of years.

Iverson or Randolph will be gone by then.

Golden State anyone?

C-Hasheem Thabeet
    PF-Marc Gasol
    SF-Rudy Gay
    SG-OJ Mayo
    PG-Mike Conley

6th-Darrell Arthur

Gasol wouldn't be useful at PF. Oden still has a higher ceiling than Thabeet imo.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mac22 View Post
    Golden State anyone?
    hopefully. i have a hunch that Don Nelson's lasting legacy will be the demise of this once proud franchise

OKC and Portland should be contenders long term. The Clips also have a good chance.

it's a close call, but besides O.K. City, everyone else doesn't stand a chance. (mayb Grizzlies though)