Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Rangers Top 20 Prospects, Fall 2009 (via Hockeysfuture)

Top 20 at a Glance

1. Evgeny Grachev, C/LW, 8.0C
    2. Artem Anisimov, C, 7.5B
    3. Ryan McDonagh, D, 8.0C
    4. Derek Stepan, C, 8.0C
    5. Michael Del Zotto, D, 7.5C
    6. Bobby Sanguinetti, D, 7.5C
    7. Chris Kreider, C/LW, 8.0D
    8. Ilkka Heikkinen, D, 7.0B
    9. Matt Gilroy , D, 7.0B
    10. Michael Sauer, D, 7.0B
    11. Nigel Williams, D, 7.0C
    12. Tomas Kundratek, D, 7.0C
    13. Dane Byers, LW, 6.5B
    14. Ethan Werek, C, 7.0C
    15. Ryan Bourque, C, 7.0D
    16. Brian Boyle, C, 6.5B
    17. Carl Hagelin, LW, 6.5C
    18. Chris Doyle, C, 7.0D
    19. Brodie Dupont, LW, 6.0B
    20. David Kveton, RW, 6.5D

The Fall 2009 Rangers Top 20 contains many changes, as the Rangers successfully retool their system to add top prospects, particularly along the blueline. Since the end of the 2008-09 season, two top defensive prospects were signed as free agents, and two defensemen and one forward were obtained in off-season trades. In total, nine new players populate the fall 2009 Rangers Top 20.

With eight defensemen and 12 forwards on the list this fall, it is the first time in five years that no goaltenders were named to the Top 20. Matt Zaba, who competed the 2008-09 season as the AHL Hartford Wolf Pack's No. 1 netminder, is no longer eligible for the list. Although the Rangers have Henrik Lundqvist in goal for the foreseeable future and Stephen Valiquette will return as backup netminder for the 2009-10 season, the Rangers are very happy with Zaba and are looking for him to compete for the backup NHL role for the 2010-11 season. Miika Wiikman, who lost his No. 1 spot on the AHL team to Zaba last season, is still an HF prospect, but has fallen off the Top 20.

The top position on the list has changed for the third time in the last year. This fallís new No. 1 prospect, Evgeny Grachev, had an outstanding season with the OHL Brampton Battalion during the 2008-09 campaign. Always considered a top offensive threat, he showed incredible strength on the puck, good two-way coverage, as well as an excellent ability to finish during his North American debut season.

1. (3) Evgeny Grachev, C/LW Grade: 8.0C
    Acquired: Third Round, 75th overall, 2008 NHL Entry Draft

Grachev has continually risen in both the eyes of the Rangers management and HF since he was drafted in June of 2008. Although at times early in the 2008-09 OHL season, he seemed to give an inconsistent effort on the ice, after he adjusted to North American play, he was a standout for the OHL Brampton Battalion. Named OHL Rookie of the Year in April 2009, Grachev was the top first-year scorer in the league.

Although the Russian forward was drafted as a center, he spent much of the 2008-09 season playing on the left wing. At 6í3, 212 lbs, and the ability to make things happen in front of the net, Grachev is a prototypical power forward, who is now thought to become NHL-ready sooner than originally expected. He will get a good look in the Traverse City Rookie Tournament, and then later in the month at the Rangersí main training camp. Although it is likely that he will start the season as a member of the Hartford Wolf Pack, an excellent showing this fall could lead to a spot on the Rangers roster this October.

2. (1) Artem Anisimov, C Grade: 7.5B
    Acquired: Second Round, 54th overall, 2006 NHL Entry Draft

Expected to center a line on the Rangers roster this fall, Anisimov had an outstanding regular season sophomore campaign with the Hartford Wolf Pack in 2008-09. Fifth overall in the AHL in scoring, Anisimov was the top point producer among all AHLers under the age of 25. A reliable contributor, he played in every regular season and playoff game in which the Wolf Pack participated last season. With good size, an excellent work ethic and solid two-way play, Anisimov has made an excellent adjustment to the North American game over the past two seasons.

At the present time, it is thought that Anisimov will become a second-line NHL center, however, if he is successful there, the Rangers may eventually try him on the first line. He has the hands, instincts, and vision to be a candidate to fill that role.
    Read the rest here

That is a sweet prospect pool.

Very nice find Jets. I think Slats and company did a very solid job rebuilding our farm. If Cherpy was alive it would seem that much greater.
    Last edited by SLY WILLIAMS; 09-01-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks sly. I like how Grachev, McDonagh, Stepan, and Kreider all have 8.0 Rankings. Also, three of our top 4 are forwards considering our strength of the farm is supposed to be defense.

Seems like a top 5 system to me.

I wish all 3 young fwds were ready to play now. I'm looking fwd to seeing them develop as Rangers.

Anisimov should definitely make the team. Grachev will be in Hartford and maybe he could be a mid season call up. Stepan however should be two-three years away.

The more interesting progress to follow for me is Kreider and Bourque. Bourque is a big time Boom or Bust player. He's either a first line player or he's not making the NHL. He's gonna play in the Q which is known to have elite scoring talents play in. Meanwhile we're gonna have to see if Kreider can translate his prep school success to college.

Good read, didn't finish yet. I will in a little though. We have a very exciting prospect pool so the next couple years are gonna be interesting to watch as it gradually gets inserted onto the team.

Cool to hear Kreider is going to BC, one of my closest oldest friends is on the football team so I'm gonna try and get some tickets to a couple games.

New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Very nice find Jets. I think Slats and company did a very solid job rebuilding our farm. If Cherpy was alive it would seem that much greater.
    Im not that good with following prospects and all that, but anyone who does, where would Cherepanov be on the list and what would his potential have been?

Quote Originally Posted by nyanks79 View Post
    Im not that good with following prospects and all that, but anyone who does, where would Cherepanov be on the list and what would his potential have been?
    first. i think he'd be very similar to nikita filatov, especially if he came over like he said he would.

i really think this deserves a bump

Cherpy had to have some legit skills I think he was playing first line with Jagr in that Russian league before the tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by nyanks79 View Post
    From everything I had heard about him, he was a super talent, and I assume would have been our #1 prospect today.

I found this article from last year on the same site (as you'll see, last year he was #1) ...
    http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ects_fall2008/. Interesting to compare last years list to this years.

I did a few searches - plenty of good stuff on the kids in our system - and nice to hear another "voice" besides our organization talking about the system.

Check out the current top prospects across all teams - from the spring (we have 4 in the top 50). http://www.hockeysfuture.com/hockey_top_50_prospects/

I should tell you that the writer who wrote our prospects' review is self-admittedly one of the more conservative writers from hockeysfuture.