Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Build a team around Allen Iverson of 2001

Going by this poll: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums...d.php?t=397920 over 75% of you on PSD believe that it is possible to build a championship team around the Allen Iverson of 2001.

So I want to determine if it's actually possible to win with AI. Person who comes up with the best team wins a prize.

Rules:
    -AI has to unquestionably be the best player on his team, no Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, etc. teammates.

-65 million in cap space to spend not including AI's contract. Salaries can be found here:
    http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

-Only 1 player is allowed to still be on there rookie scale contract.

-AI may be his 2001 self, but he's playing in todays NBA, meaning he'll need to compete against the Orlando/Cleveland/Boston teams of 09-10 to even get through the East.

Allen Iverson
    Raja Bell
    Caron Butler
    Elton Brand
    Marcus Camby

Quote Originally Posted by BkOriginalOne View Post
    Allen Iverson
    Raja Bell
    Caron Butler
    Elton Brand
    Marcus Camby
    That is a descent start, though I don't know about having AI at PG.

And I doubt a team is going to win with only 5 players.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNash View Post
    Going by this poll: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums...d.php?t=397920 over 75% of you on PSD believe that it is possible to build a championship team around the Allen Iverson of 2001.

So I want to determine if it's actually possible to win with AI. Person who comes up with the best team wins a prize.

Rules:
    -AI has to unquestionably be the best player on his team, no Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, etc. teammates.

-65 million in cap space to spend not including AI's contract. Salaries can be found here:
    http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

-Only 1 player is allowed to still be on there rookie scale contract.

-AI may be his 2001 self, but he's playing in todays NBA, meaning he'll need to compete against the Orlando/Cleveland/Boston teams of 09-10 to even get through the East.
    How come you didnt make one?
    When Ewing tells you to change your sig:

to many rules and things to think about. No thanks, interesting thread though
    P(NBA)S(NBA)D. Yeah we sometimes talk about other sports.

kirk hinrich- big pg and can maybe take on some of the two gaurds as a.i is quite small. also can hit the open 3 when needed and is comfortable with the ball in his hands and will make that extra pass

a.i- has to be in the team since the threads about him

shane battier- probably the best defender in the league, great team guy and will keep people in check, he will be the glue of this team and will instill a defensive mentality to this team

kevin garnett- we all have seen what he did for the celtics and hopefully he would do the same for this team. can create his own shot and can go for 20 a night if needed

tyson chandler- athletic big guy who will block shots and will catch lob passes from both kirk and a.i. will also bring solid defense to this team

starting salary is roughly 46-47 million (not including a.i's contract as he doesn't have one and it said in the thread not to include his contract, so that leaves me with roughly...18 million for a bench)

bench
    steve blake-solid pg
    rudy fernandez- instant offense of the bench
    grant hill- great veteran, plays defense, can pass and can score the ball. also great team player
    rasho nesterovic- always need a solid big guy off the bench

i think i may be a slight bit over the cap but big whoop, throw in a couple of draft picks and a few vets min players and thats a solid team i think

i tried following the rules and tried to make a team that was slightly plausible, not something like ai lebron d-12 etc etc and didnt put rookies in there. i tried to make up for a.i's lack of size and D with the players around him

Tough, but interesting. Here's my team:

C - Al Jefferson (12mm)
    PF - Sheed (5.8)
    SF - Durant (4.8)
    SG - AI (0)
    PG - Jose Calderon (8.2)
    Ben - Al Horford (4.3)
    Ben - Glen Davis (3)
    Ben - Trevor Ariza (5.8)
    Ben - Mickael Pietrus (5.3)
    Ben - Jameer Nelson (6.1)
    Ben - Reggie Evans (4.9)
    Ben - Kyle Korver (5.1)
    TEAM (65.3mm)

I'll eat the $300,000 luxury tax, or if you're going to be really anal then just swap Korver out for Reddick or some other generic shooter. With '01AI out there, your primary needs are shooting and defense, so I tried to pick guys who could do a bit of both (who weren't on rookie deals but also didn't make a ton of money, meaning a lot of MLE type guys). Though AI would dominate the ball, you still need a #2 scoring option (KD) and an inside scoring option (Jefferson). The bench is filled with guys who could come into the game and contribute in various ways without needing to get their hands on the ball, which is key with AI on the floor. What do you guys think?

Biedrins/Gortat
    Wallace/Kaman
    Durant/Artest
    Iverson/Ariza
    Nelson/Williams

Total Salaries: (without Iverson)
    around 58m
    Last edited by randomness; 08-17-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragan View Post

C - Al Jefferson (12mm)
    PF - Sheed (5.8)
    SF - Durant (4.8)
    SG - AI (0)
    PG - Jose Calderon (8.2)
    Ben - Al Horford (4.3)
    Ben - Glen Davis (3)
    Ben - Trevor Ariza (5.8)
    Ben - Reggie Evans (4.9)
    Ben - Kyle Korver (5.1)
    TEAM (65.3mm)

I'll eat the $300,000 luxury tax, or if you're going to be really anal then just swap Korver out for Reddick or some other generic shooter. With '01AI out there, your primary needs are shooting and defense, so I tried to pick guys who could do a bit of both (who weren't on rookie deals but also didn't make a ton of money, meaning a lot of MLE type guys). Though AI would dominate the ball, you still need a #2 scoring option (KD) and an inside scoring option (Jefferson). The bench is filled with guys who could come into the game and contribute in various ways without needing to get their hands on the ball, which is key with AI on the floor. What do you guys think?
    Nice team but you can only have 1 player at the rookie scale contract and you have 2. Durant and Horford.

Position Salary
    PG Iverson Allen $ -
    SG Johnson Joe $ 14,976,754
    SF Battier Shane $ 6,864,200
    PF Gasol Pau $ 16,451,000
    C Biedrins Andris $ 9,000,000
    SG/SF Gay Rudy $ 3,280,996 (Rookie Contract)
    SF/SG Ariza Trevor $ 5,854,000
    C/PF Camby Marcus $ 7,650,000
    PG Ivey Royal $ 923,050

Total: $ 65,000,000
    Surrounded him with shooters, defenders, some post-up guys. Decent depth, and AI in his prime was better than all of these guys.

i thought the point was to have only one person on a rookie scale contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragan View Post

C - Al Jefferson (12mm)
    PF - Sheed (5.8)
    SF - Durant (4.8)
    SG - AI (0)
    PG - Jose Calderon (8.2)
    Ben - Al Horford (4.3)
    Ben - Glen Davis (3)
    Ben - Trevor Ariza (5.8)
    Ben - Reggie Evans (4.9)
    Ben - Kyle Korver (5.1)
    TEAM (65.3mm)

Quote Originally Posted by randomness View Post
    Biedrins/Gortat
    Scola/Kaman
    Durant/Artest
    Iverson/Ariza
    Nelson/Williams

Total Salaries: (without Iverson)
    around 56m
    You could argue that Durant's better than AI, or atleast will be better.

And, aren't Jameer and Scola on rookie contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by ttam68 View Post
    You could argue that Durant's better than AI, or atleast will be better.

And, aren't Jameer and Scola on rookie contracts?
    My bad, Scola is on a rookie scale contract too. Jameer isn't though. I'll replace Scola now.

The first requirement would be a point guard of the variety that Shaun Livingston looked like he might become until he got injured. Tall and defensive-minded enough to legitimately guard the league's shooting guards, while still having the ball handling and playmaking ability to legitimately play the point, so AI could basically play the 2 on offense and the 1 on defense, which is really the only realistic way to minimize his defensive weaknesses (which of course is partially a function of his small size) and maximize his offensive strengths.

^And that really gets to one of the central reasons why it's so hard to build a good team around him: Guards who can play that role are exceptionally rare.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast