Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: should rashard be labeled as a "cheater"?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

19 35.19%
  • no

35 64.81%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Steroid Rashard Lewis Tested Positive For Completely Legal in Baseball

Source: NBA Fanhouse

As Tim Povtak wrote earlier, Magic star Rashard Lewis has been suspended for 10 games by the NBA for testing positive for dehydroepiandrosterone, a substance on the NBA's banned peformance enhancing drug list.

But what is dehydroepiandrosterone? Is it anything like the steroids baseball and football players have been disciplined for?

Dehydroepiandrosterone, more commonly known as DHEA, is a substance found in over-the-counter supplements. It is not against the law to possess or consume DHEA in the United States. Bills in both the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate which would have added DHEA to the nation's controlled substance list -- effectively banning DHEA in the United States -- were introduced in 2007, but ultimately never got out of committee. DHEA has been banned by the NBA, obviously, but also by the NFL, the NCAA, the NHL and both the international Olympic and cycling governance bodies.

Major League Baseball, however, does not prohibit the use of DHEA by its players. Yahoo! baseball writer Jeff Passan wrote about DHEA in May, when he reports the representatives of Manny Ramirez considered blaming high testosterone levels found in the slugger's blood on the supplement before other evidence pointed to a more sinister doping program (which included feminine fertility pills).

Passan reported that Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, whose son is a lobbyist for a major DHEA production firm, killed the Senate bill attempting to reclassify DHEA. But baseball bans only compounds demarked as controlled substances by the government; hence, so long as Hatch keeps DHEA off the controlled substance list (or until the union can be convinced otherwise), baseball will allow its players to use DHEA. No such "luck" for Lewis. (Obviously, when you're a pro athlete, you need to know what you put in your body.)

This is the first major NBA suspension for PEDs. Lindsey Hunter, a sparingly used veteran playing for Detroit, was suspended 10 games in 2007 for testing positive for phentermine, a drug he blamed use of his wife's diet pills on. Darius Miles was also suspended 10 games last season on an outstanding PED violation: he also tested positive for phentermine. Phentermine is a controlled substance legal to obtain in the United States by prescription only -- in other words, phentermine falls under stricter possession/use guidelines according to the law than DHEA does.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

interesting. i thought the banned substance list was pretty much the same in all sports.

MLB can hardly be used as any kind of positive standard when it comes to drug testing and regulations.

So, basically, if they allow DHEA it just shows once again that baseball is completely screwed up. It certainly doesn't change the fact that PEDs are being used in both leagues, and it definitely doesn't excuse the fact that Lewis used them.

This just underlines that they're both incompetent at dealing with the situation.

As much as I think this ordeal is blown out of proportion, it is illegal in the NBA and that is what matters.

should rashard be labeled as a "cheat" ?

i am a complet homer, and will admit it, but rashard lewis is prolly one of the nicest and calmest nba players to ever play on our team. i have been reading different sides of this supposive "steroid" scandal. ive read up on the substance and it sounds so stupid (imo) that this is even labeling rashard lewis as a sterioid user........b.s...........imma stand behind and say NO , rashard lewis is not a cheat and should be guilty of stupidity and nothing else

He did technically cheat but I think people are overhyping this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC10TIZZY View Post
    i am a complet homer, and will admit it, but rashard lewis is prolly one of the nicest and calmest nba players to ever play on our team. i have been reading different sides of this supposive "steroid" scandal. ive read up on the substance and it sounds so stupid (imo) that this is even labeling rashard lewis as a sterioid user........b.s...........imma stand behind and say NO , rashard lewis is not a cheat and should be guilty of stupidity and nothing else
    There are already lots of threads about this so no need for a new one. I merged a couple of them.

Fact is, the drug isn't allowed. He used it. Call that what you want. Remember, baseball fans were in denial for at least a decade about this stuff too. Every sport has cheats. Lewis got caught. There are lots more.

uhmmmmmm no.. just let it go and move on, he took something he shouldnt have and now he's punished.. end of story

No
    Seattle Seahawks- New Orleans Pelicans- Atlanta Braves- Anaheim Ducks

blazerman

Well maybe Rashard should go play baseball.

The only reason it's legal in baseball is because if they suspended players for it then they would have to call the season off because teams would only have enough players to cover the infield.

Considering the circumstances. I don't think this is too bad at all and is being over blown a bit by everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by blazerman View Post
    Well maybe Rashard should go play baseball.

The only reason it's legal in baseball is because if they suspended players for it then they would have to call the season off because teams would only have enough players to cover the infield.
    I agree.

I really am sick of the excuses professional athletes and professional leagues use when they cheat.

How many friggin years did we have to listen to MLB and its fans say "well, technically it wasn't illegal" when all the pitchers and hitters were on the juice.

Now we have some writer suggesting that somehow Rashard Lewis isn't really guilty because in another sport his PED is legal.

We really have to get out of our denial about drugs in sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High Champ View Post
    Considering the circumstances. I don't think this is too bad at all and is being over blown a bit by everyone.
    It's not really about Lewis at all. It's more about the way fans make excuses and don't want to know the truth. Can anyone really blame athletes for cheating when the fans are so desperate to avoid the truth? What are the chances of them ever getting caught when everyone is desperately trying to look the other way so as not to spoil the fantasy?

Just watch this thread. It will fill up with all the usual excuses and denials. Happens every time.

Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    It's not really about Lewis at all. It's more about the way fans make excuses and don't want to know the truth. Can anyone really blame athletes for cheating when the fans are so desperate to avoid the truth? What are the chances of them ever getting caught when everyone is desperately trying to look the other way so as not to spoil the fantasy?

Just watch this thread. It will fill up with all the usual excuses and denials. Happens every time.
    Gotta agree with you there Ink, I can see that happening very easily. Its just a terrible situation that Lewis has gotten himself in, The drug seems not to be a legitimate steroid and now Lewis will carry the label of being a supposed user by fans. I really do like his game and he really showed a lot this season as a starting PF.

Some people just can't move on.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast