Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Durant singled out for praise

LAS VEGAS -- Pencil in Kevin Durant for a spot on the 2010 version of Team USA.

Better yet, put it in ink.

Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski singled out Durant and showered him with praise following the first day of a three-day mini-camp for a group of 20 young players trying to make the senior national team.

Durant was the most dominant player on the floor in the team's 12-minute scrimmage after the squad spent the bulk of Thursday's practice working on drills. Friday's practice was expected to be more focused on scrimmaging.

"Everyone who was watching from our group said you could tell that Durant was a little bit on a mission -- and that's good for them to see that, it picks everybody up," Krzyzewski said. "He's that versatility guy, and the other thing is he's a shooter, and with the way we were playing defense for most of the Olympics, with his length, he could be a heck of a defender.

"So he's really at the head of the list for me," Krzyzewski said.

Durant was given serious consideration for the 12th and final roster spot on the Redeem Team that won the gold medal in Beijing, part of a threesome that also included Tayshaun Prince and Tyson Chandler.

Prince ended up getting the spot, and eventually moved ahead of Carlos Boozer in the rotation.

Durant, along with Andre Iguodala and Jeff Green, is now back for his third consecutive summer of practices with the so-called Select Team, and his familiarity and comfort level with the Team USA system were superior to that of anyone else on the court Thursday. Others who caught the coaches' eyes included Rudy Gay, Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon and JaVale McGee, and several team insiders said they were surprised how spry Greg Oden looked.

Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo and the coaching staff are concentrating on three areas where they expect to have to fill out the roster -- a third point guard to play behind Deron Williams and Chris Paul; an extra big man with the combination of quickness, defensive intensity and shooting range to play inside or outside; and a Mr. Versatility who would have the ability to spell LeBron James at the power forward spot, Carmelo Anthony at small forward, and Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade at shooting guard.

Durant fits the bill for that third guy.

"The more versatile team you have, especially at 3 and 4, when they can do both that adds a lot because so many of the international players play away from the basket and are really perimeter players," Krzyzewski said. "And the big guys, we try to envision if we got all the guys back, who would complement the guys that we have.

"That's why I'm putting him at the head, because I know him the best, and then he comes out and he's terrific [in practice]. Plus his attitude and commitment, he's made a hell of a commitment each summer, three in a row."

Next summer will be No. 4 in a row, and from the sound of things, Durant can expect to have his passport stamped with a Turkish visa when Team USA heads overseas in 13 months to attempt to win the world championship for the first time since 1994.
    From ESPN

He keeps showing more and more promise on the floor as the time goes by. He is turning into one of the most special players in the NBA. I am sure the OKC Thunder will win more games next year because of his improvement. Not to mention that he is learning how to be a good leader. I give my props to Kevin Durant for his hard work.

If Coach K is praising you, then you've got to be a special player. He doesn't say that about his Duke players or any other players unless he thinks the player will be a special player.

Yeah I think this just confirms the obvious that Durant will be playing for the U.S. team. He'll be a stud no doubt, all he has to do now is put on some weight. And yea anytime Coach K praises you, its a big deal.

looks like the Blazers have done it again, drafting a dud center over a bonafied stud. KD looks like he's gunna be awesome

I have always thought Durant is the next superstar. I think he moves into a top 5 player this year. The kid is sick

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

kid is hard

Yes this is my own tat i got the main tat in 2007 or 2008 i added the 3 trophies nov 2010

Props to SFGiants4life for hosting

good thing he's on our side... this is a real good look for Team USA

https://twitter.com/#!/JohnnyTroubleLC
    Follow Me on Twitter -> @JohnnyTroubleLC [strictly comedy & my daily ramblings]

My 3rd favorite player in the NBA already thanks to the NBA League Pass! Durant is awesome, dudes the truth. He'd look realy good alongside Roy in Portland...oops

Durant is just nasty this kid is going to be a 30 ppg guy without a doubt. Imagine if he was built like Lebron damn now that would be crazy.

Its Over.

yup KD is the man im glad the blazers took oden i wanted Durantula from the start but the thing about him is hes got all the skill in the world but the smallest ego to go with it hes just a big time humble team player and if he stays like that hes gonna something else

I'm fairly certain that one day, Durant will be just as dominant as Lebron.

The guy can shoot with the best of them, finish, grab boards, dish, and he's already a good defender.

this kid is amazing, top 3 in the nba for sure, the 2003 is so talked about this kid does not get enough credit but in a nab re-draft i would surely take this guy first overall, imagine if Portland drafted this kid instead of greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Illustrator View Post
    From ESPN

He keeps showing more and more promise on the floor as the time goes by. He is turning into one of the most special players in the NBA. I am sure the OKC Thunder will win more games next year because of his improvement. Not to mention that he is learning how to be a good leader. I give my props to Kevin Durant for his hard work.

If Coach K is praising you, then you've got to be a special player. He doesn't say that about his Duke players or any other players unless he thinks the player will be a special player.
    How soon can we get him on the Lakers, and will it be before Kobe retires?

Quote Originally Posted by Fmartinez86 View Post
    yup KD is the man im glad the blazers took oden i wanted Durantula from the start but the thing about him is hes got all the skill in the world but the smallest ego to go with it hes just a big time humble team player and if he stays like that hes gonna something else
    I think thats the key with Durant. He is very humble and he's got the talent to go with the smarts. He'll be an All-Star this season most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by omarz8 View Post
    this kid is amazing, top 3 in the nba for sure, the 2003 is so talked about this kid does not get enough credit but in a nab re-draft i would surely take this guy first overall, imagine if Portland drafted this kid instead of greg
    so he's better than wade, kobe, lebron??? your nuts.....mayb in a couple years, but now, no way

Chalmers/Arroyo
    Wade/House
    Lebron/Miller/Jones
    Bosh/Haslem/Howard
    Dampier/Big Z/Anthony/Magloire/Pittman

I played back with KD in elementary school and I must say he is going above and beyond the expectations I thought he would have at this point in his soon to be long career. He is going to be one of the greatest scorers this league has seen undoubtedly if he can continue to stay healthy and hungry to get better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast