Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Callahan, Rangers agree to terms

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has agreed to terms with forward Ryan Callahan.

Callahan, 24, established career-highs in games played (81), goals (22), assists (18), points (40), and penalty minutes (45) last season. He also won the Steven McDonald Award, voted by the fans as the player who performs ďabove and beyond the call of duty.Ē

Callahan ranked second on the team with a career-high, 237 shots, first with a plus-seven rating and tied for fourth on the club in goals. In addition, he led the team and ranked fourth in the NHL with 265 hits. Callahan posted a team-high, six-game scoring streak from March 12 at Nashville to March 22 against Ottawa, recording eight points (four goals and four assists) over the span, and tied for the team-high with a three-game goal streak (March 17 at Montreal to March 22 vs. Ottawa).

He reached the 20-goal plateau for the first time in his career on March 28 at Pittsburgh, and skated in his 100th NHL contest on December 16 at Anaheim. Callahan also skated in all seven playoff games with the Rangers, and tied for the team lead with two goals.

On June 30th, the Rochester, New York native was one of 34 players who were invited to the U.S. Olympic Menís Ice Hockey Camp to be held August 17 to 19.

Callahan has skated in 147 career regular season games in three seasons with the Rangers, registering 34 goals and 25 assists for 59 points, along with 85 penalty minutes. He ranked fourth in the NHL among rookies with 139 hits and tied for third on the team with a plus-seven rating during the 2007-08 season.He finished that season recording a plus or even rating in 36 of his last 40 contests.

In 2006-07, Callahan tallied two goals, including his first career NHL point, on March 17 against Boston. He made his NHL debut on December 1, 2006 at Buffalo. In addition, Callahan has skated in 27 playoff contests with the Rangers, recording six goals and three assists for nine points, along with 20 penalty minutes.

Callahan was originally the Rangersí fourth round selection, 127th overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
    NYR

Thanks for the post. I wonder at what salary. I'm happy they could avoid arbitration even though I'm not as high on Cally as the rest of the board.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite regardless of their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful, dishonest, or an extremist type poster I may not waste my time replying to you.

Very nice, better to get them locked up then not before arb. I saw somewhere the other day his arb date was coming up. I think Zherdev's or Dubi's is the 31st... could be wrong.

I like Cally, I think he could potentially be a 30 goal scorer for a few years before coming back down. Most likely though he's going to be a 25 goal scorer, that's how many I'll be looking from him this year.

New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

I would think its in the 2.5-3 mill range. Anything more is Sather being Sather.

Great move. I am relieved to see they got the deal done. Cally could do some real damage now that the roster has some more weapons to play with.

I read that it is a 2 year deal, 2 years is a definite and it is believed to be worth 1.8-2 mill per year. That is a steal if you ask me at least saved couple hundo

Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Thanks for the post. I wonder at what salary. I'm happy they could avoid arbitration even though I'm not as high on Cally as the rest of the board.
    I know you like Duby better, but what is it you don't like about a guy who's motor never stops, is tough in the trenches, finishes his checks, etc. Just curious?

korpiksoski also gone thank god if we had one more overated 4th liner on this team would have lost it, just get rid of third line dubinsky and cant shoot staal and we are on the way to as total rebuild 13th overall in the east is in sight,

For some reason I have a feeling someone's making multiple accounts...

What ever he's getting paid he's worth it, by far one of the better Ranger's

2 years, 2.3 mill each year. i like the deal, maybe expected it to be closer to 2, but i am a big fan of cally, so 2.3 is good.

Bleh... he should have gotten $2 million at most.

One 20+ goal season shouldn't net you that good of a deal.
    Play Well... Or Play Somewhere Else

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanAlways View Post
    I know you like Duby better, but what is it you don't like about a guy who's motor never stops, is tough in the trenches, finishes his checks, etc. Just curious?

I like his hustle for sure and I like him personally. I'm just not very high on him as a passer and I think he will have a hard time keeping up this kind of physical pace at his size. I feel that he is working his butt off to get to a level I do not think he will sustain for many years. I respect him a lot. I just think Duby is the much better prospect.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite regardless of their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful, dishonest, or an extremist type poster I may not waste my time replying to you.

2.3? Kinda sucks, figured he would get up to 2.5 but I was stil hopin for 2... we need all the extra room we can get

He's pretty good right now, hopefully he can continue to develop and get even better

BRAIN TRUST
    johnnylee722 | MetsFan19 | dwright3b5 | jetsfan89 | Twinke Masta | ritz | MrSexy | jetsfan28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast