Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    HCA (Homecourt Advantage)
    Posts
    66,620

    Greatest Baseball Team Ever?

    I'm curious on if anyone here knows any stats or sites where I can find a list of the greatest baseball teams ever?

    I'm also curious on where the 2005 White Sox fit in at? Are they one of the best or no?
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

    Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    77,702
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    I'm curious on if anyone here knows any stats or sites where I can find a list of the greatest baseball teams ever?

    I'm also curious on where the 2005 White Sox fit in at? Are they one of the best or no?
    What would you like to consider?
    Best record?
    Best competition?
    Best statistically (non-record, but OPS, ERA, etc)?


    2005 White Sox might be top 20 I would guess (without actually going through anything)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,450
    The 04 Sox team was pretty solid

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    14,291
    Lol at 04 Sox and 05 Sox.

    Heck even the 1986 Mets was better than those 2 teams.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17,861
    '74 Oakland A's.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,232
    As a strat player, us strat fans have many debates on this. The '27 Yankees, '69 Orioles, '98 Yankees, '06 Cubs, '53 Dodgers, '75 Reds, '74 Dodgers are all up there

    EDIT: Meant '72 A's, not '74
    Last edited by chicagofan71; 06-21-2009 at 07:53 PM.
    Welcome home, Jim.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,684
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiNYC View Post
    Lol at 04 Sox and 05 Sox.

    Heck even the 1986 Mets was better than those 2 teams.
    While the 86 Mets did win 108 games (!) they went 8-5 in the playoffs. They scored 783 runs and gave up 513.

    The 04 Sox went 11-3 in the playoffs scored 949 runs and gave up 768. The team with the lowest was 715 runs given up, so clearly we're looking at two diferent eras.

    You could argue that without the WC the 04 Sox wouldn't even have made the playoffs, but 'LOL@...even the 1986 Mets', isn't a very persuasive argument.

    Regardless, the 27 Yankees is probably the correct answer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavelb1 View Post
    While the 86 Mets did win 108 games (!) they went 8-5 in the playoffs. They scored 783 runs and gave up 513.

    The 04 Sox went 11-3 in the playoffs scored 949 runs and gave up 768. The team with the lowest was 715 runs given up, so clearly we're looking at two diferent eras.

    You could argue that without the WC the 04 Sox wouldn't even have made the playoffs, but 'LOL@...even the 1986 Mets', isn't a very persuasive argument.

    Regardless, the 27 Yankees is probably the correct answer.
    The 04 Sox had a run differential of less than 200, compared to 270 for the '85 Mets. When put as a % of the run totals, the disparity leans even more favorably towards the Mets.

    As for the playoff record, that doesn't quite work for me. That's not much better than picking any string of 12-15 games and comparing how they did overall. In the end, they both won.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,450
    Who would you all consider the weakest championship team? Kinda tough to know every team ever but in the past decade or so I would prolly say the 06 Cards.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    77,702
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagofan71 View Post
    As a strat player, us strat fans have many debates on this. The '27 Yankees, '69 Orioles, '98 Yankees, '06 Cubs, '53 Dodgers, '75 Reds, '74 A's/Dodgers are all up there
    Please make it known that you mean 1906 Cubs, not 2006 Cubs

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    3,779
    i want to see some stats!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    3,779
    here are the 1927 Yankees stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1927.shtml

    team Era of 3.20, team line of (.307/.384/.488) ((and that includes 7 non-starters))
    Last edited by Matt-the-great; 06-21-2009 at 06:30 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    23,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt-the-great View Post
    here are the 1927 Yankees stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1927.shtml

    team Era of 3.20, team line of (.307/.384/.488) ((and that includes 7 non-starters))
    Wow...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    3,779

  15. #15
    Zep's Avatar
    Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,791
    1998 Yankees

    Edit: Looks like I was beaten to the punch on all of them, damn this slow connection.

    I guess I'd have to say '27 Yanks.
    Last edited by Zep; 06-21-2009 at 06:37 PM.


    Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

    A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •