Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Doc Rivers: Finals just too painful to watch + trade rumor comments

Source: Bostonglobe

ORLANDO, Fla. - Doc Rivers doesn't live that far from Amway Arena. The Celtics coach has been offered tickets to NBA Finals games between the Magic and Lakers, too. But without the Celtics being involved, the admitted poor loser didn't plan on watching any Finals games in person, no matter how easy it would be to get in.

"No. I have no intent of going," said Rivers, while watching his son, Austin, play in AAU competition in Tampa yesterday. "I watched it because I wanted to see both teams play in preparation for next [season]. Other than that, I'll stay away and spend time with my family.

"I've been offered a ton of tickets. A lot of my friends have gone. My kids have gone, and the Magic were gracious to give them tickets. But I don't go to [NBA] games that my team isn't a part of."

Rivers and the Celtics were NBA champs last season, but the team was knocked off by the Magic in the conference semifinals this season. Although some time has passed since the Celtics were eliminated, Rivers acknowledged he is still having a tough time with the reality of it.

"The best teams are playing now," Rivers said. "That's very difficult for me to say. You feel like you have a team that can compete. It's tough knowing that someone else will be the defending champs. That's our goal next year, to get it back."

During the Finals, Rivers has called players to discuss game action.

"I've talked to them and called them a lot during and after games and the next day," said Rivers, who lives in nearby Winter Park in the offseason. "I call the young guys to see what they've learned."

When asked if he's relaxed right now, Rivers said: "I don't know if my wife would call me relaxed. I'm anxious to get started. I want to get back to what we want. I'm not a good loser."

Rivers wasn't surprised when the Magic beat LeBron James and the Cavaliers to get to the Finals.

"Orlando has a lot of guns. I wasn't shocked," he said. "I actually said during the press conference after we lost that Orlando can beat them and LeBron had to be amazing. LeBron was. But I don't think the Magic get enough credit for what they've done."

On the arrival of free agency next month, Rivers said: "[Celtics president] Danny [ Ainge] and I are talking every day. The free agency part I'll be very involved in since NBA players are someone I see every day. I know what I want."

Rivers said that two needs are backups at point guard and small forward. When asked if free agent guard Stephon Marbury is being considered, Rivers said: "Absolutely. I thought he will be great and better next [season] through training camp. He'll look and see what he can get at this point of his career and see what he can do."

On free agent forward Glen Davis, Rivers said: "We want him back. I hope he's back. He's taken steps each year. He improved his jump shot. We need him to get even better at it. We need him to become a better rebounder."
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

Good find, very gracious of Rivers to say that the better team (Orlando) made it to the Finals even though KG was injured.

I don't know why it seems like they aren't fond of Rondo. Rondo looked like the 2nd or 3rd best PG in the postseason.

How many times have you seen a coach of a team that just lost at an NBA Finals game. This wouldn't even be news if River's didn't live in a house he purchased from an Amway rep just down the street.

"Blood alone moves the wheels of history."
    - Benito Mussolini

Just to chime in on Rondo, I don't get it either. I think Rondo is good and can play lengthy minutes. He's young; he can take it. He reminds me of Old School Tony Parker. He could do everything except shoot. Now look where Parker is now. Rondo's going to be good for a long time if he learns how to make a jumper.

It surprises me that people would even consider trading him or offering ideas which have the net result of him playing less. Hey, we'll take him off your hands if you don't want him!

On the topic, I completely understand where Doc comes from. I don't remember watching the finals myself years ago when the Spurs knocked off the Lakers. I can only imagine how he, as a coach, feels

:cry:

I think it was great of him to congratulate the Magic and all that.

I don't like it how he gets a lot of credit for being a great coach. I think he is good, but he did nothing before he got the big three. I don't think he is one of the best in the league. I like the way he talks to his players, but I think KG Pierce and Allen have a great influence on what goes down. He turned into a cocky SOB after the big three.
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4MVP View Post
    Andrew Bogut is a better player then Dwight Howard. period.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboysKB24 View Post
    I think it was great of him to congratulate the Magic and all that.

I don't like it how he gets a lot of credit for being a great coach. I think he is good, but he did nothing before he got the big three. I don't think he is one of the best in the league. I like the way he talks to his players, but I think KG Pierce and Allen have a great influence on what goes down. He turned into a cocky SOB after the big three.
    he acts exactly the same. he is a good coach and of course the big 3 have a lot of influence, that is a given. all star players and leaders always have influence. he held the egos in check and turned them into a team with good chemistry. lets not turn this into a hate on doc thread.

Appalachian State Mountaineers
    UNC Tarheels
    Boston Celtics
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Washington Redskins
    Indianapolis Colts
    Carolina Hurricanes

I just hope next year every star/stars player is healthy for the playoffs for every team that makes it.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

i hope we meet them next year!!!!!!!!!!!