Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum = Shaq? A Comparison

I've always thought that since the big trade, the Lakers have needed Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum to replace the presence of Shaquille O'neal. To justify my reasoning, I took a look at their physicality, age, and stats.

Andrew Bynum is a big guy; so is Shaquille. Let's survey their stats at an early age to see who's better:
    21-year-old Andrew Bynum: 14.3 pts, 8 reb, 1.4 ast, 1.8 blk
    21-year-old Shaquille O'neal: 23.4 pts, 13.9 reb, 1.9 ast, 3.5 blk

Shaquille O'neal easily performed 75% better than Andrew Bynum when they were the same age.

Let's take a look at Pau Gasol and Shaquille O'neal when they were first allowed to drink in the United States:
    21-year-old Pau Gasol: 17.6 pts, 8.9 reb, 2.7 ast, 2.1 blk

His play-making was better, but playing for the Spanish team will make you a very talented facilitator. Gasol performed much better in comparison to Shaquille than Bynum, but still not nearly as good.

Proportional to age, Shaquille has shown to be a much better player. Now it's time for the grand finale. Let's compare Shaquille's best year in the playoffs with a championship-caliber Laker team with Gasol and Bynum's:

2001: 30.4 pts, 15.4 reb, 3.2 ast, 2.4 blk

2009 Bynum(so far): 6.6 pts, 3.8 reb, .4 ast, 1 blk
    2009 Pau (so far): 18.1 pts, 11.2 reb, 2.4 ast, 2.1 blk
    ----------------------------------------------------
    2009 Bynum and Pau (so far): 24.7 pts, 15 reb, 2.8 ast, 3.1 blk

Those two are impressive. Together, they blocked 77% more shots than Shaquille. Despite that impressive showing, Shaquille still scored 23% more points, rebounded 2.6% more basketballs, and assisted 21.4% more field goals.

Plus, Shaquille O'neal is 7'3" and over 300 pounds. Bynum is 7'0" and 285 pounds. Gasol is 7'0" and 250 pounds. Combined, those two guys are way bigger than Shaquille.

While he wasn't quite as good as both of them combined, I'd say Shaquille was about 75-85% better than Pau and Andrew combined. I guess the real test will be if the duo can win three championships in a row. You shouldn't feel disappointed about any of this, though, because Shaquille still has one more ring than the 21st century Lakers.

no

what math did you complete so far in college

Quote Originally Posted by pete_one View Post
    what math did you complete so far in college
    x2, im curious as well lol.

You can crunch numbers all day long, but in no way, shape or form do Bynum and Gasol come close to Shaq.

Neither one of them commands the attention that Shaq did and neither one of them are capable of taking over the game like he did. Bynum and Gasol are two options that you have to account for, but they arent the guys you gameplan against, Shaq was that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    I've always thought that since the big trade, the Lakers have needed Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum to replace the presence of Shaquille O'neal. To justify my reasoning, I took a look at their physicality, age, and stats.

Andrew Bynum is a big guy; so is Shaquille. Let's survey their stats at an early age to see who's better:
    21-year-old Andrew Bynum: 14.3 pts, 8 reb, 1.4 ast, 1.8 blk

Shaquille O'neal easily performed 75% better than Andrew Bynum when they were the same age.

Let's take a look at Pau Gasol and Shaquille O'neal when they were first allowed to drink in the United States:
    21-year-old Pau Gasol: 17.6 pts, 8.9 reb, 2.7 ast, 2.1 blk

His play-making was better, but playing for the Spanish team will make you a very talented facilitator. Gasol performed much better in comparison to Shaquille than Bynum, but still not nearly as good.

Proportional to age, Shaquille has shown to be a much better player. Now it's time for the grand finale. Let's compare Shaquille's best year in the playoffs with a championship-caliber Laker team with Gasol and Bynum's:

2001: 30.4 pts, 15.4 reb, 3.2 ast, 2.4 blk

2009 Bynum(so far): 6.6 pts, 3.8 reb, .4 ast, 1 blk
    2009 Pau (so far): 18.1 pts, 11.2 reb, 2.4 ast, 2.1 blk
    ----------------------------------------------------
    2009 Bynum and Pau (so far): 24.7 pts, 15 reb, 2.8 ast, 3.1 blk

Those two are impressive. Together, they blocked 77% more shots than Shaquille. Despite that impressive showing, Shaquille still scored 23% more points, rebounded 2.6% more basketballs, and assisted 21.4% more field goals.

Plus, Shaquille O'neal is 7'3" and over 300 pounds. Bynum is 7'0" and 285 pounds. Gasol is 7'0" and 250 pounds. Combined, those two guys are way bigger than Shaquille.

While he wasn't quite as good as both of them combined, I'd say Shaquille was about 75-85% better than Pau and Andrew combined. I guess the real test will be if the duo can win three championships in a row. You shouldn't feel disappointed about any of this, though, because Shaquille still has one more ring than the 21st century Lakers.
    Shaq is 7'1

Quote Originally Posted by FaceDown91 View Post
    x2, im curious as well lol.
    I know. I got the blocked shots incorrect. The scoring, rebounding, and assisting should be right, though. The percentages at the end were total guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by dee279 View Post
    Shaq is 7'1
    Your point is well taken, and it makes Shaquille look even more impressive.

no never.

pau is soft. he will forever be soft.

That whole screaming and pounding of the chest act this year cannot makeup for the pussyfest i saw in last years finals where his ineptitude throughout the series cost me 200 bux in a bet with one of my rival celtics fans. he got chewed up and even his own fans called for his head.

that would never happen to shaq.

dont get me started on bynum.

Lakers fans were calling bynum the second freaking coming of Jabbar and i know hes still young and i see him getting better but, he has shown nothing so far that makes me believe he will be a dominant big in years to come.

there's no fire in his game and i thought he had post moves (from what all the lakers fans were sayin on this board) but from the 30+ Lakers games ive seen over the past two years he just seems like a less athletic dwight howard, which isn't a compliment in his case.

Shaq in his prime was the most dominant player the NBA has ever seen. More than MJ, Lebron, what have you. He commanded a triple team whenever he played as he was the biggest player uve ever seen, yet he was more coordinated than most forwards and he had amazing leaping ability.

He also had the natural killer instinct and arrogance to take over any game, because he KNEW he was bigger and better than you, and that trait isnt found in most players today, ESPECIALLY not gasoft or bynum.

idk why i used to think shaq was 7'3 also

just a weird rumor
    No acting here!

I know. I got the blocked shots incorrect. The scoring, rebounding, and assisting should be right, though. The percentages at the end were total guesses.
    dude, you can use those numbers and twist them all you want but the fact is, bynum and gasol don't come close to shaq. Just stick with actually watching the game instead of stats please.

Not

Even

Close.

Does Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton = Michael Jordan?

(Adding their best seasons almost competes with MJ's best lol)
    No acting here!

honestly, this is the biggest mockery of stats i have ever seen. terrible analysis. just terrible. your post has zero merit
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

Quote Originally Posted by madiaz3 View Post
    Does Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton = Michael Jordan?

(Adding their best seasons almost competes with MJ's best lol)
    Great comparison.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast