Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

"These deals need to happen now!"

by Dayn Perry

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...-to-happen-now

Matt Holliday to the Braves---------Thoughts and comments

hell no to gorkys for a 2 month rental of holliday...i want to lock him up long term before a deal goes through for a top prospect

Not for a rental. No thank you.

Here is the deal with Holliday, Tex, or any other RENTAL. It is a GREAT value only if you plan on paying whatever...and I mean WHATEVER it takes to re-sign them. The rental tag automatically drives their price tag lower than normal, under a fear that they may walk at the end of the year. Therefore you are getting a player like Holliday, who is a proven stud, for a package centered around unproven PROSPECTS. That in its own right, is a good deal.

The part of it that complicates thing, is the players WILLINGNESS to resign with the club. Tex is a good example. He spurned a HUGE contract from Texas, and gave every indication that he had no intentions on signing early, and not hitting the free agent market. With Holliday being a Boras client as well, it wouldn't suprise me if he was the same way. BUUUUUUUT, if the team that gets the rental IS ABLE to resign them....it is a great deal. If we had locked up Tex for 10 years or so....that deal wouldn't be QUITE (although still) as awful as it is right now.

So ultimately, what I am trying to say....is that we need to get a solid feel for how he FEELS about Atlanta....and we need to tender him an extension before he ever even plays a game. For a mid-market team....this is the risk you have to take to get a player of Holliday's calibur.....for ultimately a prospect or two. If he is not willing to sign an extension....then screw it. We MUST let it pass.

This only makes sense if the Braves still think Schafer is their best CF propsect and Heyward will be ready next year. If that is the case, then Gorkys can be traded and Frenchy traded/dumped. Heyward could take over if the OF for Holiday, plus Cody Johnson will be around in a 2-4 years.

A rental makes sense if a guy is blocked (which Gorkys may be) and the out-going player (Holliday) can be replaced (Heyward). Diaz would hold the Braves over till Johnson was ready.

Not saying this is a great trade or it should be done, but there seems to be some possibilities.

The only way this works is if Holliday signs a new contract the day of the trade and with Boas, that ain't happening. PASS

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    This only makes sense if the Braves still think Schafer is their best CF propsect and Heyward will be ready next year. If that is the case, then Gorkys can be traded and Frenchy traded/dumped. Heyward could take over if the OF for Holiday, plus Cody Johnson will be around in a 2-4 years.

A rental makes sense if a guy is blocked (which Gorkys may be) and the out-going player (Holliday) can be replaced (Heyward). Diaz would hold the Braves over till Johnson was ready.

Not saying this is a great trade or it should be done, but there seems to be some possibilities.
    I wounldn't mind trading Gorkys with him being block with Schafer but since Fookie has left this team as the leadoff guy this team has down right bad in that #1 spot in the lineup. I guess it is the price you have to pay to get a bat like holliday which would be great plus once we offer him Arb and he signs else where (Yanks) then we will get two top 50 picks as Comp. So as long as we value the other prospects in the trade to thoughs two picks I have no problem dealing for Holliday as a short term solution. But will have the same issue in getting the RH OF Bat in the lineup next off season. The problem the braves have that all their young bats are LH (Heyward/Freeman/CJohnson) our whole lineup will be all LH almost from top to bottom which is really bad. I just hope that we go out and give Bay the 5/75 next year which is what this team desperately needs. Otherwise be prepared to dump a TON of prospects in getting a RH OF Bat longterm via the trade route.

we should do what the mets did with santana. only trade for him if he signs a long term deal with the braves. Tell liberty media group to cough up some cash if they want to make a solid run for a WS title. I have always wanted Holliday. Lets face the facts we cant make a run if we have a miserable outfield.

Well stated Braves4Life.....I agree completely

Brave4life is right. We have a miserable outfield.

Scott Boras has ruined the game of baseball. He is a fluke, he wants money and thats it.

But Bay for 5 years...where will everyone fit? Schafer, Gorkys, Heyward, Johnson and then Bay? Where do all these guys go? A rental makes more sense in terms of the young guys coming up. Depends on what the Braves want.

Brave4life i definetly agree with you about the only way we should get him is if he signs a long term deal and also that Boras has ruined the game of baseball

I started a new thread.....BRAD HAWPE baby....who's with me Look at the stats before you rip me apart

9/10 Always take the PROVEN player over the PROSPECT.

I like Gorkys. If at all possible I would love to see him stay in the ATL organization. However, it would be very nice to have a player of Holliday's caliber in the middle of the Braves lineup.

Jones
    Holliday
    McCann

^That looks a lot better than anything the Braves have thrown out there this year. The NL East (surprisingly) is wide open. The Braves need to strike while the proverbial iron is hot and pull the trigger on this trade. The Braves of the mid 90s ALWAYS made these kind of trades to stay competitive and win now while also keeping a good farm system. In order to get FAs to come to Atlanta, the Braves need to start winning now, otherwise they run the risk of falling into baseball mid-market obscurity, which would be devastating as a fan...

Also, not to start an argument, but many of you guys that are so adamant on passing on a trade like this are the same ones who are complaining that the Braves need to do something 'now'. Holliday is probably the best marquee name on the block, and he fills a HUGE void in the Braves outfield and lineup, and Gorkys (or any other prospect not named Hanson or Heyward) are nice, but replaceable. There are a lot more 18-21 yr old prospects running around the US, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, etc, than there are 29yr old LFers who can slug .550 with 30hr and 120rbis.

Lastly, just think guys, even if the Braves don't resign Holliday, he will most certainly end up as a Type 'A' FA and net the Braves another 1st rd pick to replenish what they will lose in a trade with the A's.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast