Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Markus Naslund to retire

From the New York Post

Proud and classy to the apparent end, Markus Naslund has told his Rangers teammates he is retiring despite having one season at $3 million remaining on the two-year, $8 million free agent contract he signed last summer, The Post has learned.

It is believed that the 35-year-old Naslund, who wore down dramatically as the season and then the seven-game series against the Caps progressed, notified GM Glen Sather of his decision at his exit interview on Thursday, though The Post has not been able to confirm that.

Naslund, whose total of 46 points (24-22) represented a fifth straight season of decline from his career-high of 104 (48-56) he registered with the 2002-03 Canucks, owns a no-movement clause in his contract, meaning that the Rangers could not have assigned him to the AHL Wolf Pack next year in order to escape his $4 million cap hit.

The Blueshirts, however, could have -- and assuredly would have -- bought out Naslund for $2 million during the June 15-30 buyout period. Under that scenario, the team would have been hit with a $2 million cap charge for 2009-10 and a $1 million charge for 2010-11. Knowing that, Naslund simply could have said nothing and collected the $2 million to which he would have been entitled.

But that wouldn't be Naslund; that wouldn't be the man he is, and the classy individual he has been throughout a 15-year NHL career during which he recorded a total of 395 goals and 869 points in 1,117 games. Naslund was a first-team All-Star left wing three straight seasons, from 2000-01 through 2002-03, scoring 41, 40 and 48 goals, respectively.

Naslund came to New York hoping to rejuvenate his game after 11 seasons in Vancouver. But while the heart and the head were willing, his legs weren't. The winger just could not keep up. As such, he would not have fit next year in coach John Tortorella's high-octane system. Hence, the likelihood of the buyout.

But Naslund's retirement -- pending an official announcement, of course -- eliminates that prospect. It also critically gives the Rangers additional cap space with which to work and to accommodate potential Group II offer sheets to Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky.

Without Naslund, the Blueshirts have approximately $37.87 million committed to nine core players under the cap that is expected to come in between $56-57 million if the NHLPA exercises its 5-percent bump.

As a rangers fan two things come to mind

1. Congrats on a great career Markus classy to the very end. i know he'll be always be remembered as a canuck, but thanks for helping us out this year.

2. Huge for the rangers as they clear up 4 million in cap room.

He's a Hofer IMO
    **** SIGS

^^ he better be

thanks Nazzy for the memories. You had one helluva career. Looks like i gotta find a new favorite player now.

Not a hall of famer imo but the nhl hall of fame isnt tough to get into. A great career but imo not a hall of famer

Borderline Hofer, IMO.

Great, great player, but after his injury he wasn't the same.

Not to sound like a dick, but thank god.

I couldn't watch Naslund try to play for the Rangers for another year and he clears up much needed cap space.
    Play Well... Or Play Somewhere Else

I don't think he is a sure bet to get in the HOF. But, he definitly had a great career and I want him to get in.

Good news

Markus Naslund is a great player with all the attributes you want in a player, in the begining of the year i was more than glad to have him on the team but with the cap space and such what I am thrilled to see him go. Yes he was a point leader but thats not saying much for our team. We need a goal scorer, no dounbt about it. Heres a few guys i wouldnt mind on my team with 4 million dollars now back in the rangers possesion...

1) Marian Gaborik- Expensive, but without Zherdev and Naslund maybe we can afford an actual goal scorer.
    Daniel Sedin- There going 2 probably re sign him especially if they go farther in the playoffs but hes nasttyyyy...
    2) Martin Havlat
    3) Petr Sykora
    4) Alex Tanguay

He's a HOFer in my book.

He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Rangers will probably move one of Drury/Gomez/Roszival/Redden.

Roszival and Gomez are probably the most movable of the 4 and Redden is damn near un movable.

i highly doubt he'll get voted into the HOF..no cups,way less than PPG and below not enough other stats..only had like 384 goals i believe

Quote Originally Posted by PB#37 View Post
    Rangers will probably move one of Drury/Gomez/Roszival/Redden.

Roszival and Gomez are probably the most movable of the 4 and Redden is damn near un movable.
    i think both of them are gone imo

great career close to the HOF but maybe not in

2 Time Sim League Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mlisica19 View Post
    Markus Naslund is a great player with all the attributes you want in a player, in the begining of the year i was more than glad to have him on the team but with the cap space and such what I am thrilled to see him go. Yes he was a point leader but thats not saying much for our team. We need a goal scorer, no dounbt about it. Heres a few guys i wouldnt mind on my team with 4 million dollars now back in the rangers possesion...

1) Marian Gaborik- Expensive, but without Zherdev and Naslund maybe we can afford an actual goal scorer.
    Daniel Sedin- There going 2 probably re sign him especially if they go farther in the playoffs but hes nasttyyyy...
    2) Martin Havlat
    3) Petr Sykora
    4) Alex Tanguay
    Even with Naslund being gone, there's no way they can afford Gaborik, the Sedins or Havlat.

If you trade Gomez, Rozi, Drury or *laughs* Redden... you'll have to take a decent amount of salary back.
    Play Well... Or Play Somewhere Else

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast