Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Van Gundy's coaching style under fire

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Stan Van Gundy sprang off the Orlando Magic's bench as if he had been shot out of one of those T-shirt guns, flailing his arms and scrunching up his face as though his pregame meal was coming back to haunt him.

The impetus for this particular mini-rant from Van Gundy was Magic forward Mickael Pietrus giving up a blow-by dunk to Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala, but really it could have been any of a dozen or so moments from a Magic game.

If this is how the coach reacts to one blown coverage, just imagine what his mindset was as his Magic fell into 1-0 and 2-1 holes against the heavy-underdog 76ers before pulling ahead 3-2 on Tuesday night. In three of the first four games of the series, Orlando either blew or almost squandered a big lead, leading some to wonder if Van Gundy's antics were causing the Magic to grow tighter and sweatier than, well, a Van Gundy.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...anGundy-090430

"When it gets tough in the playoffs, he will become the master of panic like he did before and he will quit like he did before. When it gets time for his team to go into the postseason and do certain things, he will let them down." --Shaq

thoughts?....
    Last edited by pd7631; 04-30-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Philadelphia 76ers

"All the time us."

Thanks to JDink24 on the sig

A link to the article would be nice.

But I think he's a fine coach, and while he may be panicky at times, too much is being made of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

my bad...i knew i forgot something lol

Philadelphia 76ers

"All the time us."

to put a shaq quote is ridiculous! hes at home watching these games. Stan the man is a great coach! he demands the most out of our players and he wont take anything less!! he doesnt praise anyone too much, he doesnt pick favorites and that is exactly what u need!! i personally like him a lot! and he is a lot of fun to watch

i kinda feel what they saying, i always tought he does over react sometimes but id rather have a passionate coach than..... someone who stares aimlessly,looks like he just got a face lift, then at the post game whine about howard being in the paint too long and basicly get sonned by SVG.........fukkkkk atta here philly fan..........

The article has some merit, I guess we'll see how it plays out though. Sometimes these type of things are overblown and nit picking, sometimes they're spot on. If they win this series, and the next one, and push the Cavs to 7 or win the ECF, I don't think we'd be signing the same tune about him as the article does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

Quote Originally Posted by magicbucs4eva View Post
    to put a shaq quote is ridiculous! hes at home watching these games. Stan the man is a great coach! he demands the most out of our players and he wont take anything less!! he doesnt praise anyone too much, he doesnt pick favorites and that is exactly what u need!! i personally like him a lot! and he is a lot of fun to watch
    yeah, for what...only the 2nd time in his career?

Philadelphia 76ers

"All the time us."

idk i dont keep up wit shaq but SVG is better then the coach he has in Phoenix! the only reason shaq said he panicked is bc shaq flopped against howard

idk i dont keep up wit shaq but SVG is better then the coach he has in Phoenix! the only reason shaq said he panicked is bc shaq flopped against howard

What?

did u not see the magic vs suns a few months ago? thats why shaq got all heated bc svg said shaq flopped

did u not see the magic vs suns a few months ago? thats why shaq got all heated bc svg said shaq flopped
    Shaq was also coached by SVG, so he has first hand experience with how SVG can set a team into panic mode

Philadelphia 76ers

"All the time us."

that was the year they won the championship lol. except pat reilly wanted to coach again so he fired him

Quote Originally Posted by JNore151 View Post
    i kinda feel what they saying, i always tought he does over react sometimes but id rather have a passionate coach than..... someone who stares aimlessly,looks like he just got a face lift, then at the post game whine about howard being in the paint too long and basicly get sonned by SVG.........fukkkkk atta here philly fan..........
    Since when does it matter what coach you'd rather have? I didn't know you played in the NBA! You say all that trash, but even the ORLANDO MAGIC'S OWN PLAYERS have some to say about SVG, including THEIR BEST PLAYER.

And just because Tony DiLeo (who you did not name but are clearly making immature, ignorant remarks about) has a different demeanor than SVG does not mean that he is not passionate. I don't know your definition of passionate, but if being a star high school player, then playing college ball, then coaching internationally, then being with an NBA organization for the past 17 years is not passionate enough then I don't know what is.

Besides, what is wrong with him pointing out that an OFFICIAL RULE is not being enforced? Grow up. The Magic's players complain on the court, and so does every other team's players.

Magic are getting crushed tonight, see you in Orlando.

that was the year they won the championship lol. except pat reilly wanted to get the ring and the fame instead so he fired him
    Fixed it for ya!

lol thanks man! but that was not stans fault he was doing great

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast