Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    I'm interested to see if we entertain trading some outfield prospects for a different position (1st,3rd) or pitcher. With Broxton, Santana, Brinson, Phillips, Reed at or just about ready and Ray and Clark a few years away it would seem to make sense to trade Phillips for a prospect at a position of need. It might make more sense to wait until next year however to see if Phillips can restore some of his top prospect shine. I wouldn't also count out packaging some guys like Coulter and Taylor together to a team like the Angels or White Sox who need some organization depth.

If the perfect deal came along, then maybe we'd move a guy like Phillips. But prospects are so fickle that it's tough to trade a guy because you have a bunch others. You're never going to think your guys are going to bust, but there's a good chance at least one of Phillips, Brinson, Clark and Ray is a bust, if not more. Broxton and Santana have definitely earned shots to play next year, but they are far from sure things too. I think you wait until you know you have 3 really good, major league caliber players rocking and ready to go before you move any of them, unless you get a crazy good offer. Not that you implied it, but it's definitely not a take the best deal you get type of thing like trading lucroy was.

That being said, I do think reed, coulter, wren and Roache are probably candidates to be sweeteners like you said. Like if we're moving Braun and or Carter, the team may ask us to throw in a guy like coulter to put some depth back in the org after moving prospects.

Saw some scouting stuff come along the brewers blogosphere through the website 2080 ball. Basically, he was talking about 2 brewers currently in the AFL.

The first was Nottingham. He was kind of down on him. The report was actually higher on nottinghams defense than most are. He thinks he has work to do but thinks he probably stays behind the plate. Wasn't as big on nottinghams bat as most are. Rated him as a 40 (below average) for both average and power. Doesn't think his bat is good enough to move off of catcher. Thinks he's probably a backup MLB Catcher or below average starter. Not a great report to hear as a brewers fan.

On the flip side, the same guy was still pretty high on Phillips. Went back and looked at some of Phillips underlying numbers and thinks he actually had a decent year. His true average (tries to more effectively measure average based on a range of factors) had him as an above average hitter for the league despite being younger than average for the level. He also added more pop and patience to his profile. After scouting him, the guy from 2080 still thinks Phillips is a top of the order hitter.

Bickford was suspended 50 games for getting failing a drug test for a recreational drug. Apparently had he been on the 40 man, he wouldn't have been suspended. So I don't think it'll impact his major league future. It's a little disappointing for his development, but it also may serve as a way of limiting his innings, which might not be the worst thing.

Yeah, I don't think it hurts the organization much but it does put him about a half season behind where he should be. Obviously he still has a lot of maturing to do especially after all the draft drama he went through.

Is it time to use Ray as a trading piece? 24.5 yrs old already and a .435 obs, yuck.

Ray has started playing again after the injury. I wouldn't mind trading him if we could get a good reliever or as a piece to get a good starter.

I am a little bored today and have time to burn so here is my personal mid-season top 30 prospects. I am leaving Keston Huira off as of now just because I am pretty sure he will lose his prospect status relatively soon but he would or is clearly #1 until then.

1) Brice Turang
    2) Corey Ray
    3) Aaron Ashby
    4) Trent Grisham
    5) Tristen Lutz
    6) Ethan Small
    7) Mauricio Dubon
    8) Trey Supek
    9) Mario Feliciano
    10) Drew Rasmussen
    11) Zack Brown
    12) Antione Kelly
    13) Joe Gray
    14) Payton Henry
    15) Jacob Nottingham
    16) Devin Williams
    17) Max Lazar
    18) Lucas Erceg
    19) Noah Zavolas
    20) David Fry
    21) Carlos Rodriguez
    22) Braden Webb
    23) Troy Stokes
    24) Marcos Diplan
    25) Adam Hill
    26) Micah Bello
    27) Caden Lemons
    28) Pablo Abreu
    29) Jevon Ward
    30) Justin Jarvis

Left Out- Eduardo Garcia, Eduarqui Fernandez, Larry Ernesto, and this years draft pick after Kelly.
    Relievers that will/should make the team at some point- Bobby Wahl, Angel Perdomo, Cody Ponce, Nate Griep
    Don't forget- Phil Bickford.

I'll probably give some analysis tomorrow.

1)Turang has an amazing k:bb rate, he might not be a 20 HR guy in the majors but he can be an elite lead-off man.
    2)Ray has had a disappointing year, I gave him a break with injuries but he could have fallen had some of the high prospect played well.
    3)Ashby has some of the best stuff in the system and should be able to climb through the system quickly if he pitches like he has this year.
    4)Grisham I was ready to write him off before the year but wow, he is still only 22 and another great k:bb rate with his power potential finally coming through. He might overtake Ray to be Braun's replacement after next year.
    5)Lutz is still young and playing better as of late, he still has one of the highest ceilings in the organizaion.
    6)I hesitated putting Small to high on this list, if he can get his velo at a constant level in the lower 90's he could probably be as high as 2 on my list. The 86-91 mph he showed this year won't cut it in the bigs.
    7)Dubon has shown better power and should get a shot at SS if Arcia struggles (I'm not a fan of the Saladino experiment)
    8)Supak has been phenomenal if his stuff was a little better he would rank way higher on my list.
    9)Feliciano is another young guy that has a lot of potential and played well, the only thing that worries me is how much he strikes out.
    10) Rasmussen was an absolute steal if he doesn't make it as a starter he will be a really good late inning fireballer.
    11) Brown has been probably the biggest disappointment from our prospects in my opinion, still has good stuff.
    12/13) I'm just going on potential on Kelly and Gray not much to look at yet.
    14) Henry has been unspectacular, he seems extremely streaky at the plate, solid behind it.
    15) Nottingham hasn't developed the power we were told he had when we got him but everything else looks good.
    16) Williams is a bit high on my list because he made the futures game, he might be a nice multi-inning relief guy in the near future.
    17)Lazar has great number in A-ball as a 19 year old, his stuff isn't great but it appears his command is.
    18)Erceg has been a huge disappointment hitting .199, only 8 doubles in over 250 PA tells me to be worried.
    19)Zavolas was the throw-in in the Gamel-Santana swap, really good results without blow away stuff.
    20)David Fry has 44 XBH in 86 games, he is a little old at 23 for A-ball and slightly blocked by our good catching corp from moving up, I could see a move to 1B.
    21)Rodriguez hasn't played much but showed enough last year not to be on the left out list with the other international signing unknowns.
    22) Webb has walked way to many guys to warrant a higher rating.
    23/24)Stokes and Diplan have been disappointing but not bad enough to fall extremely far because of there solid potential
    25) Hill like Zavolas and Lazar doesn't have top of the rotation stuff but has shown well this year.
    26/27)Bello and Lemons are pretty raw, at least Bello has some this year.
    28)Abreu has been hurt most of the year, some 5 tool upside.
    29) Ward hasn't been great but still has good tools.
    30)Jarvis is another young control pitcher shown pretty good results.

Left Out- I don't like rating International guys until they play a little rookie ball, maybe I'll call it the Gilbert Lara affect.
    The relievers I listed have all had a good showing in the higher levels this year (except Wahl) and could have been added but I don't like putting minor league relievers to high unless they have out of this world stuff.
    Phil Bickford is back, it is doubtful he can finally get it back together but he is only 23 and maybe he can finally catch a break.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    Ray has started playing again after the injury. I wouldn't mind trading him if we could get a good reliever or as a piece to get a good starter.
    I just dont think Ray carries much trade value. Someone may want him included in a deal, but hes not a major peice to get someone of legit value. Most lists will have Ray ahead of Grisham because of pedigree, but prior to this year, power and steal is all ra had on Grisham. Now that Grisham seemingly has unleashed some power, Ray no longer has that advantage. Plus Grisham walks more, strikes out less and is 2 years younger. I'm guessing in alot of front offices, Grisham is more valuable than Ray.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 07-10-2019 at 11:36 AM.

I agree Ray's value has plummeted and I am leaning towards Grisham as our top OF prospect more daily. I wouldn't sell too low on him however. I think he could be traded for a reliever like Mychal Givens or Alex Colome or possibly the 2nd piece for a bigger name starter.

Possibly. I just think I'd hold on Ray most likely. His value could still drop, but I just don't think it's very high right now. I'd try to rehab his image more and see what happens. I wouldnt hold him back from any deal if he's the guy to get something done, but I'm not actively shopping him either as you would be selling low most likely.

Agreed, I'd push lower ceiling prospects before him 1st and really only send him for a player with multiple years of control.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021