Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    I am going to divide some guys into groups here as prospects that could be traded in the next week.

Huira is really the only young untouchable, I probably would have added Woodruff had he not gotten hurt.

Rather not trade- Turang, Grisham
    Teams will likely ask for Turang and/or Grisham for any quality starter or big name reliever. I really like that both of these guys walk about as much as they strikeout. If I were Stearns I would be super hesitant to include either unless it is a top of the rotation pitcher with 2+ years of control.

Players other team will want as secondary pieces- Supak, Ashby, Lutz, Dubon, Feliciano, Williams, Rasmussen, Henry, Lazar, Hill, Zavolas
    These are players who have played well this year and other teams will look to be ancillary pieces in a bigger deal or possibly the main piece for a 2nd tier trade.

Players we will like to try and trade at a past value- Ray, Erceg, Brown, Burnes, Peralta
    These are probably the guys we would prefer to add as a main piece in trades, however we will likely try and insist that their value is where it was at the beginning of the year. I doubt these guys will get traded because we will likely overvalue there price and others will undervalue it.

Lottery Tickets- Gray, Bello, Ward, Lemons, recent international players
    Usually in bigger trades teams ask for a throw in that fits the unknown high ceiling classification and we have a couple.

I believe when all is said and done we will likely lose 2-3 players from the secondary pieces list to improve the bullpen and possible a couple higher thought of players to get a potential top of the rotation starter.

I agree by and large but guys like Erceg aren't going to have much value. Dude is 25 and in the minors and struggling. Ray had one good year and is in AA at 24. Doubt GMs will be fooled into thinking they are that valuable. I want to hang on to Ashby, Lutz and Supak too if possible. This team has a need for at least one starter and two pen arms. Doubt can fill the holes so I wouldn't mind dealing Thames or someone to a team in need of a DH or something and not really buying unless a pen arm for none of the minor leaguers I even hesitate to move.

Post-Season Ranking
    1-Turang=It would be nice to see Turang hit well in high A and get a chance in AA next year, maybe he could make a case for a 2021 call up and sure up SS. Without much tape to go on he has a chance to be a left-handed Trea Turner with a smidge less speed.
    2-Lutz= Just power potential and relative age bust him up high. If he can continue to improve his discipline he could be a solid starting OF in a couple years (maybe when Cain's contract is up)
    3-Small=Looked good at least by the numbers. If he can get his velo into the 92-94 range he could develop into a top of the rotation guy a la Dallas Kuechel
    4-Ashby=Probably more of a 3-4 starters ceiling but has been extremely consistent.
    5-Feliciano=Proabaly was the best hitting prospect in the minors (after Huira and Gris got moved up). If he can improve the strikeout to walk ratio, I could see him as a top 100 prospect by mid-season.
    6-Rasmussen- Best stuff in the system and if he can stick as a starter maybe the highest ceiling starter. Arm injuries make me hesitant to go much higher than 6.
    7-Kelly- Like Rasmussen, amazing stuff and good results make a high ceiling. He just has a long way to go to be a starter.
    8-Brown- I believe in him a more than Corey Ray, it is hard to judge pitching based on AAA stats last year becuase of the probably juiced balls. Brown should get a chance to be a Houser type pitcher who gets a couple call-ups next year when the pen is thin and maybe work his way onto the staff.
    9-Ray- 3 and a half years in the system and still hasn't hit above .240. I'm willing to say injuries zapped power this year but he is losing prospect appeal very quickly.
    10-Supak- Disappointed in AAA, but like Brown most starters did. If he pitches well he should get a chance like Brown at some point.
    11-Devin Williams- Has a decent chance to make the pen next year, I don't like putting relievers this high but the list gets thinned down a lot from this point. Maybe some closer potential in a couple years.
    12-Payton Henry- Not bad results but not great
    13-Mario Bello= 13-18 are all young without much to go on except raw ability so I doesn't matter which order
    14-Joe Gray
    15-Eduardo Garcia
    16-Pablo Abreu
    17- Carlos Rodriguez
    18- Eduarqui Fernandez
    19-Max Lazar-Not great stuff but I think he is easily underestimated by scouting services.
    20-Victor Casteneda- Best pitcher in AFL, could easily jump up to top 10-15 range depending on observer
    21-David Fry- Old but can play multiple positions, I kind of think of Kevin Youkilis without the extreme walks.
    22-Justin Jarvis- Like Lazar under ranked but not huge upside.
    23-Luis Medina- young, not much to go on
    24-Adam Hill- Like Jarvis and Lazar but a little older
    25-Noah Zavolas- See Hill
    26-Thomas Dillard- Results showed some interesting potential. Could a fast riser
    27-Alexis Rameriz- Just based on stuff
    28-Lucas Erceg- I wanted to write him out of the top 30 but couldn't quite, still has some good tools.
    29-Clayton Andrews- A nice novelty who can pitch and play OF, but I can't see him being more than a Nate Orf type prospect.
    30- Korry Howell- Speed and decent plate discipline give him some potential.

This system really has not depth, after about 11 all the players have big question marks or are too raw to really know much about.

As much as it sucks to say, our farm is in a pretty rough spot. We did recently graduate a few nice young players, so the org isn't in an awful spot if you include them. But from a pure minor league perspective, we don't have a good system. We do have a few really high upside guys who could strengthen the farm if a couple of them can get it all to click, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Corey Ray is the one that really hurts. We didnt engage in a full tank when we stunk and had a fairly quick turnaround. He was our high pick and he's a bust. He's also realtively old and really hasn't shown many signs of developing. He had one good year in a very friendly left handed hitting environment. Other than that, he's had virtually no development.

And I really like turang. Thought it was a really good pick. Problem is he's not really a huge upside guy. He's not an all star caliber player most likely and he's probably not a guy who's going to headline a huge deal. And he's really the only thing close to a headliner in the org. Small and Ashby could be coveted as well, but either of them probably isn't going to net us someone huge either.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    As much as it sucks to say, our farm is in a pretty rough spot. We did recently graduate a few nice young players, so the org isn't in an awful spot if you include them. But from a pure minor league perspective, we don't have a good system. We do have a few really high upside guys who could strengthen the farm if a couple of them can get it all to click, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Corey Ray is the one that really hurts. We didnt engage in a full tank when we stunk and had a fairly quick turnaround. He was our high pick and he's a bust. He's also realtively old and really hasn't shown many signs of developing. He had one good year in a very friendly left handed hitting environment. Other than that, he's had virtually no development.

And I really like turang. Thought it was a really good pick. Problem is he's not really a huge upside guy. He's not an all star caliber player most likely and he's probably not a guy who's going to headline a huge deal. And he's really the only thing close to a headliner in the org. Small and Ashby could be coveted as well, but either of them probably isn't going to net us someone huge either.
    Yeah not a lot to get excited about in the system now that Grish (who no one saw jumping from AA to MLB this year) and Hiura graduating from prospect status. I still think Zack Brown could do something this year moving out of launching pad in AAA to contribute. Rasmussen maybe as well but no sure fire, this guy will help the Brewers soon guys. A lot of question marks and really nothing to get excited about after top-10.

There are some upper level bullpen arms that could provide decent depth but at this point we can't count on the system to provide much in the way of a useful player until maybe next year. Hopefully some of the lower level talent flourishes and the organization can advance them quickly through the system.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    There are some upper level bullpen arms that could provide decent depth but at this point we can't count on the system to provide much in the way of a useful player until maybe next year. Hopefully some of the lower level talent flourishes and the organization can advance them quickly through the system.
    I do like some of the arms in the lower levels right now. I think the Brewers have some strong starters but it's going to be a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    I do like some of the arms in the lower levels right now. I think the Brewers have some strong starters but it's going to be a couple years.
    But those are still very high risk. Like, people like Ashby. I like Ashby. But Ashby has really high variance. He's very realistically just as likely to never be a major leaguer as he is to be a really good starter.

Kelly has an electric fastball. But he's also a guy who is just as likely to get a bust or be a low end reliever as he is to be impactful.

I like small as well. But guys with his profile are much more likely to be a 4th starter than a great starter.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122