Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 114
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Exton
    Posts
    18,713
    Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    two years in a row we got beat by Pittsburgh. They have superior talent.
    Relax, I wouldn't call them superior quite yet. Did they beat us? Yes. However they did have some things go their way that could have gone our way.

    The goalie in this series made a huge difference IMO. For a guy who's normal selling point is he doesn't get rattled by bad goals, it seemed like after the first one went in, the next couple saves/non-saves looked very shaky.

    He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

    Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,506
    Gagne Richards Knuble
    Hartnell Carter Lupul
    Briere Giroux Asham
    Cote Ross Nodl

    Timomen Parent
    Carle Coburn
    Sbisa (free agent)

    Nitty
    (whoever)
    Last edited by lbz88; 04-27-2009 at 12:24 AM.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cape may nj
    Posts
    652
    I would love to trade jvr for either mason or another top line young goalie. Obviously it would have to work with the cap but i would love to be in the in just the top 3rd of teams in goals for and in the top 5 in goals against. We have so much forward depth yet not enough solid defenders or an elite goalie. I would trade away JVR and some forwards to help this. The cap just needs to be handled well.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    515
    Another tough ending. The moves I would make. Let all our FA go. We have a back-up goalie, I would sign Craig Anderson from Florida, a FA making 500k, 28 yrs old looking for a starting shot. He would probably sign a 2yr deal worth aroun 2 million and depending on what Backlund gets we save around a 1.5 on goaltending and not take a step back. Put Jones on waivers, if no one pks him up, let him play in the minors and become a FA, and look to sign Nick Boynton, Komiserik, a more Physical, gritty D-Man. The last signing for me would be Bertuzzi, who would replace Knuble. A better player that will sign for under 2 million and do all Knuble did for us.

    Gagne-Richards-Bertuzzi
    Hartnell-Carter-Breier
    Lupul-Giroux-Powe/JVR
    Asham-Ross/Powe-Caecillo

    Timmone-Boynton/Kmoiserik
    Carle-Coburn
    Sbisa-Parent

    Anderson
    Backlund

    This should save us some Cap space, and give us the option to move Lupul with JVR and Powe with the ability to fill in and us still put a 3 top line we would need for a playoff run.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Exton
    Posts
    18,713
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeovie8 View Post
    I would love to trade jvr for either mason or another top line young goalie. Obviously it would have to work with the cap but i would love to be in the in just the top 3rd of teams in goals for and in the top 5 in goals against. We have so much forward depth yet not enough solid defenders or an elite goalie. I would trade away JVR and some forwards to help this. The cap just needs to be handled well.
    There's really no way either Mason moves, especially when one of the team's traded their previous number one starter at the deadline. I'd say our best shots are teams with two good/great netminders such as Atlanta, Montreal, Vancouver, Nashville, and Buffalo. Any of the following would make me very happy: Pavelec, Price, Halak, Schneider, Pickard, Enroth, or Miller.

    He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

    Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    993
    -Let Knuble, Alberts, Biron, and Nitty sign elsewhere.
    -Re-sign Jared Ross.
    -Sign JBo or Komisarek
    -Waive Cote and pray some team needs a punching bag.
    -Trade Lupul, Jones, picks/specs for a Price, Halak, Rinne, Quick? type goalie.
    -^^(If unsuccessful, sign Khabibulin)

    Gagne - Richards - Carcillo
    Briere - Giroux - Powe
    Hartnell - Carter - Nodl until JvR is ready
    Kalinski - Ross - Asham

    3 very potent scoring lines and a great energy line

    JBo/Komisarek - Timonen
    Carle - Coburn
    Sbisa - Parent

    Price/Halak/Rinne/Khabibulin
    Backlund

    Why is this so crazy?

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    cape may nj
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by theLgndKllr35 View Post
    There's really no way either Mason moves, especially when one of the team's traded their previous number one starter at the deadline. I'd say our best shots are teams with two good/great netminders such as Atlanta, Montreal, Vancouver, Nashville, and Buffalo. Any of the following would make me very happy: Pavelec, Price, Halak, Schneider, Pickard, Enroth, or Miller.
    Miller and Price would be very difficul to get and the rest dont excite me. The only cups the flyers ever won where behind an amazing goaltender. I want a real #1 who isnt a back-up somewhere else. I would pay the price for a legit #1 no problem. Ive seen enough playoff runs without a true #1 and they always end in failure for the flyers

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lancaster/Blacksburg
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by theLgndKllr35 View Post
    There's really no way either Mason moves, especially when one of the team's traded their previous number one starter at the deadline. I'd say our best shots are teams with two good/great netminders such as Atlanta, Montreal, Vancouver, Nashville, and Buffalo. Any of the following would make me very happy: Pavelec, Price, Halak, Schneider, Pickard, Enroth, or Miller.
    pavelec is unproven, price is softer than a pillow, halak is meh, pickard isn't ready to play in the nhl yet, enroth isn't ready to be a starter yet, and ryan miller isn't going anywhere anytime soon for just about any player.

    if i were in charge, this is what i would do:

    gagne - richards - knuble
    hartnell - carter - giroux
    JVR - briere - asham
    carcillo - powe - nodl/ross

    timonen - parent
    coburn - alberts
    carle - gill

    giguere
    nitty

    bringing back knuble should be a no-brainer here. he was the ONLY player on the team this year with a cup ring, and he's ideal for our powerplay. he's a solid veteran player who provides a calming influence on our young roster. he's also pubicly stated he likes it here in philly and would like to stick around. i have him resigned at $2.5 mil.

    next i would try to swing a deal with anaheim involving lupul, jones, and a high draft pick (2nd or 3rd round) for jiggy. he's the #1 goalie this team has lacked for far too long, he's not too old, and he has a proven playoff pedigree. this year was a statistical fluke, and if his history has shown anything its that he usually rebounds with a stellar season. once lupul is gone, giroux gets bumped up to take his place on the 2nd line. giroux + carter = jizz in my pants.

    since giroux gets moved up to 2nd line duty, i'd bring in JVR to replace him on the 3rd line. here he will get enough ice time to acclimate to the pace of the league, while playing with another gamebreaker in danny briere. the addition of asham to this line ensures no liberties will be taken on our new rookie. if JVR struggles, the lines can be reshuffled to include some of the phantoms players that have seen limited time with the big club (ross, kalinski, nodl, gratton, etc). i have estimated JVR's contract to count $1.5 mil against the cap.

    the 4th line would be carcillo ka-powe and either nodl or ross. riley overcote is gone, as we have all the enforcement we need in asham and carcillo. he can either be sent to the minors, bought out, or thrown from a tall building for all i care.

    for the defense, the top pairing remains timonen and parent for obvious reasons. next is coburn and alberts, because despite certain people's hatred towards alberts i like his play and the fact that both he and coburn are 6'5" should make it easier for this pair to clear the porch. I'm giving coburn a contract worth $3 million. alberts has shown he isn't afraid to take the body, and that's just what he needs to continue doing. 3rd pair should be carle and hal gill. i don't really care how we get him, but i think that hal gill represents the second coming of derian hatcher to our blue line.

    as stated before, the addition of jiggy as our #1 goalie finally solves the question of "who's the starting goalie?" and gives us a potential gamebreaker in the crease. he has a proven track record, a cup ring, and 2 finals appearances (one of which resulted in the rare conn smythe awarded to the losing team). nitty is a perfectly capable backup, and is absolute money against the thrashers. i've got him resigned for $1.5 million.

    this team i think should be able to beat the penguins, which by all accounts seems to be all you have to do to win the stanley cup. also, it puts us at a total cap hit of just a smidge under $59 million for the team so it is technically feasible.

    any thoughts on my essay?
    Last edited by HokieDude17; 04-27-2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: forget about carle

    Officer Carcillo doesn't want a f*cking liter of cola

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boyertown, Pa
    Posts
    6,697
    Gagne Richards Briere
    Hartnell Giroux Carter
    JVR Brendan Morrison Knuble
    Carcillo Powe Asham

    Parent Kimmo
    Coburn Carle
    Alberts Sbisa

    Biron
    Jhonas Enroth (from Buffalo for Lupul, a prospect like Michael Ratchuk, and possibly a later round pick?)

    I like our offensive depth, but Brendan Morrison just makes us deeper, and gives us a much needed veteran. I also Like the defense how it is already because guys like Parent, Coburn, and Carle just keep getting better, and Alberts is one of my favorite defensmen even though most hate him. When it comes to the goalies I would resign Biron for 2 years and trade for Enroth because I think this kid is going to be very good, but right now hes stuck behind about 4 other very talented and experienced goalies up in Buffalo.

    p.s. This post is subject to change

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Louisa Virginia
    Posts
    4,789
    I agree with you on Alberts...with the right person guiding him while he's young he could become a poor mans Derian Hatcher...

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    133
    My offseason plan requires alot of development and trust in our prospects and I think these prospects can handle it.

    Gagne-Richards-Bertuzzi/Knuble
    Hartnell-Carter-JVR
    Nodl/Maroon-Giroux-Briere
    Carcillo-Powe-Asham

    Timonen-Parent
    Sbisa-Bouwmeester
    Carle-Bourdon

    Cory Schneider
    Backlund

    This team fits under the 56.7 million cap. I'm signing Knuble or Bertuzzi, who ever will sign for 1.5 mil. They are essentially the same player at this point in their careers.

    I assigned JVR a cap number of 3.2 mil. That is the average between Kane and Turris. I figured that was a good starting point. He didnt show much with the Phantoms but I think an off-season in Philly will do wonders for him.

    Pat Maroon had a great year for the Phantoms. This kid has been progressing at an excellent rate. I dont want to put too much pressure on him but I think he should be given a chance. Nodl can fill in on this line if it proves to be too much for Maroon.

    Same 4th line as this year. Not much to say there.

    Bring in J-Bo at 7.5 mil per. He replaces Coburn who we use to trade for Cory Scheider. Throw in whatever draft picks you want. Schneider has been the nest goalie in the ahl for 2 years. He will Never get any burn with Luongo in Vancouver. Bring him to Philly.

    Trade Lupul and Jones for a box of TastyKakes, a cheese steak, and some cream cheese.

    Give Bourdon a chance to make the team. He is playing at a point/game pace. He's a big body and can bring the physical presence that our team has been missing.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State College
    Posts
    1,189
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieDude17 View Post
    pavelec is unproven, price is softer than a pillow, halak is meh, pickard isn't ready to play in the nhl yet, enroth isn't ready to be a starter yet, and ryan miller isn't going anywhere anytime soon for just about any player.

    if i were in charge, this is what i would do:

    gagne - richards - knuble
    hartnell - carter - giroux
    JVR - briere - asham
    carcillo - powe - nodl/ross

    timonen - parent
    coburn - alberts
    carle - gill

    giguere
    nitty

    bringing back knuble should be a no-brainer here. he was the ONLY player on the team this year with a cup ring, and he's ideal for our powerplay. he's a solid veteran player who provides a calming influence on our young roster. he's also pubicly stated he likes it here in philly and would like to stick around. i have him resigned at $2.5 mil.

    next i would try to swing a deal with anaheim involving lupul, jones, and a high draft pick (2nd or 3rd round) for jiggy. he's the #1 goalie this team has lacked for far too long, he's not too old, and he has a proven playoff pedigree. this year was a statistical fluke, and if his history has shown anything its that he usually rebounds with a stellar season. once lupul is gone, giroux gets bumped up to take his place on the 2nd line. giroux + carter = jizz in my pants.

    since giroux gets moved up to 2nd line duty, i'd bring in JVR to replace him on the 3rd line. here he will get enough ice time to acclimate to the pace of the league, while playing with another gamebreaker in danny briere. the addition of asham to this line ensures no liberties will be taken on our new rookie. if JVR struggles, the lines can be reshuffled to include some of the phantoms players that have seen limited time with the big club (ross, kalinski, nodl, gratton, etc). i have estimated JVR's contract to count $1.5 mil against the cap.

    the 4th line would be carcillo ka-powe and either nodl or ross. riley overcote is gone, as we have all the enforcement we need in asham and carcillo. he can either be sent to the minors, bought out, or thrown from a tall building for all i care.

    for the defense, the top pairing remains timonen and parent for obvious reasons. next is coburn and alberts, because despite certain people's hatred towards alberts i like his play and the fact that both he and coburn are 6'5" should make it easier for this pair to clear the porch. I'm giving coburn a contract worth $3 million. alberts has shown he isn't afraid to take the body, and that's just what he needs to continue doing. 3rd pair should be carle and hal gill. i don't really care how we get him, but i think that hal gill represents the second coming of derian hatcher to our blue line.

    as stated before, the addition of jiggy as our #1 goalie finally solves the question of "who's the starting goalie?" and gives us a potential gamebreaker in the crease. he has a proven track record, a cup ring, and 2 finals appearances (one of which resulted in the rare conn smythe awarded to the losing team). nitty is a perfectly capable backup, and is absolute money against the thrashers. i've got him resigned for $1.5 million.

    this team i think should be able to beat the penguins, which by all accounts seems to be all you have to do to win the stanley cup. also, it puts us at a total cap hit of just a smidge under $59 million for the team so it is technically feasible.

    any thoughts on my essay?
    i really like your idea with giguere. If Jonas Hiller continues to play as well as he is in the playoffs here, the Ducks would forseeably give up jiggy for a little trade package from us.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,027
    Gagne - Briere - Giroux
    Hartnell - Carter - Lupul
    JVR - Richards - Knuble
    Carcillo - Ross - Asham

    Kimmo - Parent
    Jbo - Sbisa
    Coburn - Carle

    Craig Anderson - Nitty

    Don't think it would work under the Cap though

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,454
    Lupul, Jones, Maroon, picks, and say Coburn for Giguere and Pronger. I know I know getting rid of Coburn, waaahhhh get over him hes overrated and Pronger is a perfect hall of famer we need.

    If that doesnt work rework the deal to get just Giguere.

    Pickup Komisarek if Pronger doesnt work.

    Drop Knuble and pickup a Brendan Morrison or Bertuzzi like player.

    Khabibulin if Giguere doesnt work.

    JVR up when ready, until then Nodl.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lancaster/Blacksburg
    Posts
    2,573
    what's with all the talk about brendan morrison? he's a shadow of his former self, not worth the paper his contract would be written on. and bertuzzi isn't an upgrade over knuble at all, nor would he sign for much less than knuble would. remember, noobs is a guy who can score 30 goals, play on the top PP unit, and be a veteran leader all for around $2 million or even less. he wants to stay in philly, why should we kick him out the door? he hasn't done anything wrong.

    Officer Carcillo doesn't want a f*cking liter of cola

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •