Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

All things Greinke!

CHICAGO -- Zack Greinke was asked the obvious: How it felt to finally win a game at U.S. Cellular Field after going 0-6 there?

"Is that the first one?" Greinke said. "That's exciting."

Oh, sure, like he didn't know. Greinke certainly did a bully job of expunging that zero by pitching six-plus shutout innings of the Royals' 2-0 victory over the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday night.

Juan Cruz retired six straight batters and Joakim Soria pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for the save as the bullpen recovered nicely from the Opening Day letdown by Kyle Farnsworth.

"It lined up pretty good for us tonight," Royals manager Trey Hillman said. "I was glad Cruzy was able to get through both innings. We had Ronnie [Mahay] heated, but it was good to see him get through those lefties as well."

This was the first time the Royals shut out the White Sox in Chicago since Aug. 3, 1995, when Melvin Bunch, Billy Brewer, and Jeff Montgomery combined to pitch a 9-0 victory.

Greinke got through six innings, nimbly dancing around two singles, two walks and a hit batter. When Jermaine Dye led off the White Sox seventh with their third hit, Hillman summoned Cruz. The Sox didn't get another baserunner.

White Sox starter Gavin Floyd roared through the first eight Royals batters with four strikeouts and looked in perfect-game fettle.

"The funny thing is, he has that kind of stuff," the Royals' Mike Aviles said. "That guy is very talented. He comes at you and doesn't let up, so I was fortunate to get a ball up and was able to drive it."

Aviles, the No. 9 batter, drove a double to the center-field wall and immediately scored as Coco Crisp's double bounced off the warning track over the fence.

Aviles scored again in the fifth after leading off with a single, though he was almost picked off rounding first base. Right fielder Dye's throw to catcher A.J. Pierzynski just missed. But Aviles heard the catcher's footsteps behind him, was warned by first-base coach Rusty Kuntz and got his hand back just before Pierzynski flopped on him.

After advancing on a wild pitch and Crisp's bunt, Aviles crossed home as Mark Teahen singled to right.

Teahen, by the way, not only had two hits but made a gliding stop to his right and whirled to throw out swift Dewayne Wise in the eighth inning. Yep, that's Teahen the second baseman.

"I'm starting to look more and more like one, so I'll take it," he said.

Greinke dutifully made note of the play, made while Cruz was pitching.

"Solid defense," Greinke said. "Teahen made a web gem so it was nice out there."

And Greinke made a pitching gem, getting seven strikeouts.

"He was pretty darn good. I mean 95 [mph], just painting, inside, outside, up and down," Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski said. "He had a good slider, a good curveball. That's what he can do. We've seen him like that before and he's tough. You have to match him pitch for pitch and Gavin tried."

Gavin even got nine strikeouts in his seven innings but couldn't beat Greinke.

The White Sox began their second with Jim Thome's walk and Dye's single, but Greinke induced a double play and got Pierzynski to roll out.

"They had a couple guys on in the second inning and if I made one bad pitch, it could've looked like a completely different game," Greinke said.

There was one disquieting moment when, after Carlos Quentin absorbed a Greinke pitch on his back, he made a step toward the pitcher but was quickly diverted toward first base. Greinke thought Quentin's reaction was probably residue from a wayward pitch over the batter back in the first inning.

"That was scary," Greinke said. "It was right at his head."

But nothing came of it and the bullpen gave Greinke a perfect ending to his evening.

"Cruz looked 'sick' today, everything was working, locating everything," Greinke said. "Soria didn't look like he was on, but he made the pitches when he had to."

And the Royals had rebounded from the Opening Day disappointment.

"Hopefully that's a sign of our maturity as a team," Teahen said. "We can take a tough loss like yesterday and come back and play good quality baseball and win a ballgame."

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I love Zack Greinke

^agreed. haha

So far tonight, he has 4 K's in 2 innings!

Greinke's insane, by far the best pitcher in the Central.
    Loose seal. Watch out for loose seal.

I don't care about Lucille. She lies.

Great game by Greinke!

Scoreless innings streak at 34!

ARLINGTON - It's safe to say that Zack Greinke is zeroed in. On opposing hitters. On the stat sheet, where he has a 0.00 ERA. On Saturday night, when he hung up nine zeros for the first time in his Major League career.

In fact, the only thing that has slipped by him this year is his scoreless innings streak, which reached 34 after his 2-0 gem over the Rangers at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

"That kind of blew me away," Greinke said when someone told him about Orel Hershiser's record 59-inning scoreless streak after the game. "It's just about impossible to get to 34 nowadays. Fifty-nine, that's impossible. I would have been happy with 20."

The 25-year-old rising star is pitching beautifully in 2009, opening the season with 20 scoreless innings. And he had to be at his best, with the Rangers' Kevin Millwood also throwing a complete game in a battle of aces with the top two ERAs in the American League.

Greinke was sharp, pitching out of trouble in the early innings. He allowed seven hits and didn't issue a walk while striking out 10. Greinke threw 111 pitches after using 104 to get through five innings in his last start against Cleveland.

He was at his best in the second and third innings. Greinke gave up a leadoff triple to Hank Blalock in the second, but came back by getting Marlon Byrd to ground out and then striking out Nelson Cruz and Chris Davis.

The Rangers played for an early run in the third as Jarrod Saltalamacchia led off with a double and was sacrificed to third by Elvis Andrus. It didn't faze Greinke, who struck out Ian Kinsler and induced Michael Young to ground out to second.

"Greinke has great stuff, but the biggest difference I've seen the last couple of times we've faced him is he's had great command," Young said. "That's a big key for a pitcher."

Greinke credited catcher Miguel Olivo, who has caught him in all three starts this season. Royals manager Trey Hillman said before the game that it's becoming a certainty that Olivo will catch Greinke.

Greinke said that Olivo is forcing him to throw inside more than he likes to. It makes sense with a 94-95 mph fastball. And it sets up his slider, curveball and changeup.

"If he shows the inside, then the hitter has to start looking inside," Olivo said.

Greinke said Saturday was the first time that he has shaken off Olivo this season and the catcher said no.

"He's been right with me," Greinke said. "He's calling his game and it's working. I'm adjusting to his style. He calls the inside pitch more than I'm used to."

The Royals' No. 1 battery worked perfectly together in the ninth. After getting the first two outs, Greinke gave up a single, bringing up the possible tying run. Hillman had planned on taking his young starter out for standout closer Joakim Soria, but Greinke convinced his manager otherwise when he visited the mound after Cruz's hit.

"I told him I was fine," Greinke said. "I needed to stop hanging my put-away pitch."

Greinke got ahead of Davis and then bounced a slow curve for a 2-2 count. Having gone inside early in the count, Greinke threw a fastball to the outside corner, and the game ended as Davis took strike three.

Greinke threw the first complete game in the AL this season, and set the franchise's record for the most consecutive scoreless innings, passing one of the Royals' all-time best, Kevin Appier (1993).

"Zack is going to be one of the premier pitchers in the American League for a long time," Hillman said. "It's good for us, and it's good for Zack Greinke."

The Royals scored their first run in the sixth, taking advantage of a leadoff walk by Coco Crisp. Crisp advanced to third on two groundouts, then scored on Billy Butler's ground-ball double down the left-field line.

Kansas City got an insurance run when Olivo delivered a two-out solo shot in the seventh. The ball just cleared the left-field fence for Olivo's first homer of the season.

"That was good to get," Olivo said.

Todd Wills is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Complete game shutout = hardon

Another complete game! Gave up a run, though....it was unearned! So he is 4-0 and has an era of 0.00!

greinke proved tough against us last night. he is definately much better than previous, but will it last? to be honest, i think so. i like him, he has great potential, hopefully he keeps performing for you guys.

Greinke for AL Cy Young. Such a baller. He really has matured into the pitcher we have been waiting on for the past couple years. Go Zack! He's tearin' it up right now.

Greinke, marry me

Greinke gets the cover of Sports Illustrated!

Twenty-nine scoreless innings to start a season will do a lot of things for a Major League pitcher.

Zack Greinke is hoping it doesn't bring him a jinx.

Thanks to a 4-0 record and a 0.00 ERA in four starts for the Royals this season, Greinke will be appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week, according to The Kansas City Star.

Newsstand copies will be available closer to the weekend.

The 25-year-old right-hander is the first Royals player to appear on the cover since pitcher David Cone on April 5, 1993 for the magazine's baseball preview. The last Kansas City player to appear in an in-season cover was back on June 12, 1989 when SI featured outfielder Bo Jackson.

Greinke didn't seem too excited about the honor, according to The Star, which said he declined to sit for a portrait, prompting SI to use an action shot instead.

But his reluctance is not directed towards the magazine. Greinke simply just doesn't think it's a big deal.

"There's a lot more interesting stuff going on right now," Greinke told The Star, whose columnist, Joe Posnanski, will write the story chronicling Greinke's emergence as one of the game's premier pitchers despite a rocky start. "They should have something else on the cover. Playoff basketball or something else.

"So it's a mistake. They'll probably sell their least amount of magazines in a long time -- except when NASCAR was on the cover."

Greinke, a first-round pick by the Royals in the 2002 First-Year Player Draft, went 13-10 with a 3.47 ERA in 32 starts last season.

As for the SI cover jinx, the Orlando, Fla., native said he had never even heard of it.

"They have a jinx?" Greinke asked The Star. "Really, all that matters is winning games. Winning is what always mattered, but I would still like the other stuff. But now, I don't care one bit about it -- any of it, any award stuff, All-Star or anything."

Alden Gonzalez is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Haha declined to sit for a portrait. Does that mean his SAD is back?

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast