Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Granato on shaky ground

The same faith that won Tony Granato a second chance as coach of the Avalanche could cause him to lose his job for a second time.

By standing loyally behind overhyped, underperforming young NHL players on a disappointing team, Granato has presided over the worst season since the Avalanche moved to Colorado in 1995.

"Things haven't gone perfectly through the first 60-plus games. But I'm not going to go back and say, 'Geez, what did I get myself into?' Or 'Why did I do this?' " Granato told me this week, while standing with his back against a wall at the team's practice facility. "I believe in this organization. I believe in the people around me. I believe in the people in the locker room."

Here's the bummer for Granato: The coach has set himself up to take the fall for hockey and economic problems not of his making.

"We haven't been good enough to be where we want to be. That's a fair enough statement. I can't tell you, 'Hey, we're one of the top eight teams in the conference right now.' We don't deserve to be, because we haven't played well enough," Granato said.

Why is he the Avalanche coach now instead of Joel Quenneville? A major reason is that Granato expressed optimism in the team's future, while Quenneville cast his vote by leaving town.

For trusting Peter Budaj and Marek Svatos to perform better than their talent allows, Granato finds himself on thin ice, with little visible support from the general public.

He takes responsibility for a team that tarnishes a winning tradition. Worse, Granato regularly stares up at rows of empty arena seats whispering the Avs have become dangerously close to irrelevant in the daily conversation about Denver sports.

While NHL attendance at the Pepsi Center is often listed at 15,000-and-change per game, too often almost half those ticket-buyers have been no-shows during weeknight dates.

It doesn't matter if there is one person in the stands or 15,000, Granato insists, the Avs must wear their sweaters with pride.

The Avalanche desperately need Joe Sakic to return from a long absence spent recovering from back and hand injuries. Not because there's any real expectation Sakic can lead a late charge for the final berth in the Western Conference, but because Sakic might put some fannies in the seats and sell some beer to toast his glorious career.
    http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_11901493

i think he should be fired. we could have been better, even with the injuries we had.

Welcome to the Future

He learned all the things that bugged me about Coach Q. What is the point of switching goalies every night? I could care less if Tony is gone after the season.

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

what do u think of a bob hartley return?

^I wouldn't mind it. I thought he was pretty good. But the veteran guys all hated him. I'd like to see some new blood that will put the young guys in a position to succeed. Some of the lines that get put out there doesn't give players the chance to succeed.

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

lets bring in teddy nolan or someone along those lines..we can bide our time with him until patrick roy steps up to the plate :P

I'm gonna sound like beavis....FIRE FIRE FIRE

Hartley wouldn't be bad, not sure who else would fit a young team like us
    Time for some hootenanny.

love the Ted Nolan idea. he was the man with Buffalo back in the day n was ok with NYI

Welcome to the Future

The best thing Granato could do for the Avs now is lose out the rest of the year for a chance to get Tavares
    Time for some hootenanny.

Quote Originally Posted by ksneil2000 View Post
    lets bring in teddy nolan or someone along those lines..we can bide our time with him until patrick roy steps up to the plate :P
    just cuz u hired him in the td mock