Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    43,031

    Superstar Extensions This Summer?

    Here is something to keep an eye on.....The salary cap is going down next season. That has already been announced.

    Maximum salaries are based on the salary cap during the year in which they were signed.

    Therefore, does player X sign an extension this summer in order to maximize his contract value?

    If he waits until the following summer, the cap will have decreased again, and therefore the total of a maximum contract will have decreased as well.

    This is something to keep in mind, even amidst all of the Summer of 2010 madness.
    Last edited by IndiansFan337; 03-07-2009 at 02:03 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,314
    Here is my opinion on this. Crap that gets uber-hype like Summer 2010 NEVER turns out to be worth the hype. The ending will anticlimactic with few superstars, if any, switching teams. In fact, I see some being extended this summer like you say.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,405
    I don't think any of these millionaires have to worry about money. They will probably sign with whoever they think puts them in the best position, whether that means staying put or moving.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    43,031
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    I don't think any of these millionaires have to worry about money. They will probably sign with whoever they think puts them in the best position, whether that means staying put or moving.
    Well, if that is the case then expect a lot of turnover with so many good/great players being available. But personally, I think a good amount of them will remain with their current team if they offer them more money. But if you're right we could see 1-2 teams form a dynamic team, possibly a dynasty. Portland & Cleveland could be the two hottest teams at that point. It will be interesting to see if money speaks moreso than winning, especially when you factor in the current lack of desire there is to live in those two communities.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    411
    Link to where salary caps are going down, because every year they go up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    University of Miami
    Posts
    3,942
    Quote Originally Posted by -Juice- View Post
    Link to where salary caps are going down, because every year they go up.
    It's because of the economy, it's been announced but I don't have a link, the NBA isn't making enough money to increase the cap, the cap is based on revenue.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    I don't think any of these millionaires have to worry about money. They will probably sign with whoever they think puts them in the best position, whether that means staying put or moving.
    That's what you'd think, and that's how NORMAL people like me and you think. But every day you see pro athletes do dumb stuff that will make them a few extra million dollars.

    EDIT: Not saying staying with their current team is DUMB, I'm just making a point.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    34,178
    Quote Originally Posted by hotpotato1092 View Post
    It's because of the economy, it's been announced but I don't have a link, the NBA isn't making enough money to increase the cap, the cap is based on revenue.
    I heard this also. Won't be official till after the season.

    I don't see players like Lebron or Wade extending this summer since the "Max" might be worth more in 2010.

    I can see Amare signing it though if Phoenix offers it to him. With the eye injury now, there's no telling how much longer his career will last.
    Last edited by king4day; 03-07-2009 at 07:10 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,044
    Until the CBA is fixed, the players will still make more if they wait until 2010 and then get the max. It may have some lesser stars not getting the max when they would have before but it really won't affect Wade or Lebron. It might hurt Bosh or Amare a little though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    23,520
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiansFan337 View Post
    Well, if that is the case then expect a lot of turnover with so many good/great players being available. But personally, I think a good amount of them will remain with their current team if they offer them more money. But if you're right we could see 1-2 teams form a dynamic team, possibly a dynasty. Portland & Cleveland could be the two hottest teams at that point. It will be interesting to see if money speaks moreso than winning, especially when you factor in the current lack of desire there is to live in those two communities.
    Portland is one of the most desirable cities to live in in the United States....
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by superkegger View Post
    Portland is one of the most desirable cities to live in in the United States....
    True, Portland is a beautiful place.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,746
    You are Fn crazy, I have lived in Portland and it rains way too ****ing much I hated it.

    Quote Originally Posted by superkegger View Post
    Portland is one of the most desirable cities to live in in the United States....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    23,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers4ItAll View Post
    You are Fn crazy, I have lived in Portland and it rains way too ****ing much I hated it.
    Well, the growth rate of portland has been among the highest in the US, and is still growing even in this time of recession, and standards of living and happiness rating in portland are also among the highest in the US. It's a simple fact that Portland is rated among the best cities in the US to live in. Especially once we start talkin cities over two or three hundred thousand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by superkegger View Post
    Portland is one of the most desirable cities to live in in the United States....
    Portland is beautiful, but it does get a lot of rain and is rated the most depressed city in all of the US.

    http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09...e_cities/2.htm
    U MAD???

    "As a matter of fact, talking some time ago to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, 'If they don't make the playoffs, you don't work here anymore."
    Jerry Buss

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    43,031
    Quote Originally Posted by king4day View Post
    I heard this also. Won't be official till after the season.

    I don't see players like Lebron or Wade extending this summer since the "Max" might be worth more in 2010.
    It's not going to be worth more in 2010. I don't think Wade will re sign this summer, unless Miami take a step forward. He doesn't have very much around him right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by b_rad23 View Post
    Until the CBA is fixed, the players will still make more if they wait until 2010 and then get the max.
    That is not true. Why would you say that. If the cap goes down, the maximum a team can offer goes down with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by superkegger View Post
    Portland is one of the most desirable cities to live in in the United States....
    Not for a rich NBA superstar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •