Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Opinions on Rush Limbaugh

What are your opinions on Rush?

With his wanting Obama and his policies to fail.

----------

I can't believe he wants Obama to fail. Obama's economic plans failing means this economy going into a complete nosedive. Probably worse than the great depression.

I just don't understand how someone could be so clueless.

Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    I'm sure this is pretty well worn territory for most of the posters here. Personally I can't stand Rush, he's an absolute blowhard and the majority of his character traits are ones that I attribute to what is wrong with humanity (or at the very least the most annoying and counter-productive).

That being said, I tend to agree that this particular statement was for the most part taken out of context and that people are jumping all over it because of who he is rather than for what he said. The full quote seems to be saying simply that he doesn't agree that Obama's plan is what is in the nation's best interests, and in that regard he hopes it fails.

I don't personally think that by saying what he did he would want the country to fail (which is the leap a lot of my friends seem to be making), but rather that I guess he hopes that if Obama's plan fails, people will be forced to look at alternatives more in line with his own idea of fiscal responsibility.

Personally I don't think now is the time to inject anymore instability (be it real or imaginary) into an already shaky market. But at the same time I'll take his words for what they are, the stance of someone who ardently opposes the Obama economic policy, and relies on oversimplification of that disagreement to garner ratings from those on the moderate to extreme right.

But to say that the guy wants the nation to fail is pretty black and white, and to deal in absolutes is usually a bad idea.
    Last edited by Zep; 03-04-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    I'm sure this is pretty well worn territory for most of the posters here. Personally I can't stand Rush, he's an absolute blowhard and the majority of his character traits are ones that I attribute to what is wrong with humanity (or at the very least the most annoying and counter-productive).

That being said, I tend to agree that this particular statement was for the most part taken out of context and that people are jumping all over it because of who he is more than for what he said. The full quote seems to be saying simply that he doesn't agree that Obama's plan is what is in the nation's best interests, and in that regard he hopes it fails.

I don't personally think that by saying what he did he would want the country to fail (which is the leap a lot of my friends seem to be making), but rather that I guess he hopes that if Obama's plan fails, people will be forced to look at alternatives more in line with his own idea of fiscal responsibility.

Personally I don't think now is the time to inject anymore instability (be it real or imaginary) into an already shaky market. But at the same time I'll take his words for what they are, the stance of someone who ardently opposes the Obama economic policy, and relies on oversimplification of that disagreement to garner ratings from those the extreme right.

But to say that the guy wants the nation to fail is pretty black and white, and to deal in absolutes is usually a bad idea.
    You get an A for the day. That's exactly how it played out, and exactly what he meant.

As for me I love Rush. I already know my first born son will either be named Rush something, or something Rush. Rush will def be in the name. I also am a Rush 24/7 subscriber, and since I can't figure out how Ipods work, I have the fiance load up Rush recaps or the friday show if I miss it, for when I work in the yard on the weekend.

I personally don't like Rush. But, I don't really have anything to say about him. He's one of those people that I think is just better ignored, so what he says doesn't concern me.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    That being said, I tend to agree that this particular statement was for the most part taken out of context and that people are jumping all over it because of who he is rather than for what he said. The full quote seems to be saying simply that he doesn't agree that Obama's plan is what is in the nation's best interests, and in that regard he hopes it fails.

Personally I don't think now is the time to inject anymore instability (be it real or imaginary) into an already shaky market. But at the same time I'll take his words for what they are, the stance of someone who ardently opposes the Obama economic policy, and relies on oversimplification of that disagreement to garner ratings from those on the moderate to extreme right.
    Yeah I see where he's coming from in the complete context.

Think about this for a minute. What will this country be if his plan fails? What will there be to do?

I'm not completely happy with Obama's plan right now either. I still think it's one of our better options.

Quote Originally Posted by cubsneedmiracle View Post
    Yeah I see where he's coming from in the complete context.

Think about this for a minute. What will this country be if his plan fails? What will there be to do?

I'm not completely happy with Obama's plan right now either. I still think it's one of our better options.
    Very true, if it fails we will be hurting, and with more debt and more inability to pay it back.

But now look at the opposite from the Republicans side. It's my belief (not eveyrone's) that if Obama plan works even 25% he'll be able to push threw a lot of his liberal agenda. And we as republicans don't want that either.

Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Very true, if it fails we will be hurting, and with more debt and more inability to pay it back.

But now look at the opposite from the Republicans side. It's my belief (not eveyrone's) that if Obama plan works even 25% he'll be able to push threw a lot of his liberal agenda. And we as republicans don't want that either.
    Yeah, any success and he will have quite a bit of political power.

From Gallup (http://www.gallup.com/poll/114163/Li...publicans.aspx)

(link entered this way because psd not working correctly)

PRINCETON, NJ -- Conservative talk-show host Rush Limbaugh is viewed favorably by 60% of Republicans nationwide, while 23% have an unfavorable opinion of him. In sharp contrast, only 6% of Democrats view Limbaugh favorably, while 63% view him unfavorably.

Limbaugh has been much in the news recently as media outlets have played up his highly vocal opposition to President Obama in general and to Obama's economic stimulus plan in particular. The president himself was provoked enough by Limbaugh to bring up his name in his public comments about the stimulus plan, saying, "You can't just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done." Since then, Limbaugh's role in influencing Republican positions on public policy issues, including in particular the stimulus package, has been a topic of discussion.
    Given the deliberately partisan and ideological nature of Limbaugh's radio program, the sharp divide in views of the talk-show host by partisanship are not surprising. Still, the data from Gallup's Jan. 30-Feb. 1 poll show that Republican support for Limbaugh is not monolithic. Although a clear majority of 60% of Republicans have a favorable opinion of Limbaugh, a not-insignificant 23% have an unfavorable opinion. Seventeen percent of Republicans say they have no opinion of Limbaugh either way (either because they haven't heard of him or don't know enough about him to say).
    Almost a third of Democrats say they have no opinion of Limbaugh, but negative views of him among Democrats outweigh positive opinions by more than a 10-to-1 ratio. Among independents, negatives outweigh positives by a 45% to 25% margin.
    To me the interesting part of this poll is not the large GOP favorable, nor the even larger Democratic unfavorable, but the independent negatives being so much higher than the positives.

If I were in charge of getting GOP candidates elected, it would seem that I need Rush to win the primary, then need him to back off in the general election.

My personal feeling about Rush is that he is a non person to me. I admire his business acumen, but find his show to be boorish. If I am in my car, listening to my radio, I would rather listen to ESPN.

I don't listen to him, so I don't really have an opinion. Although, if liberals hate him so much, he must be doing something right. So I guess he's ok in my book.

Never listened to him. Actually seeing him at CPAC was the first time I've ever heard him speak.

But I too want Obama to fail in the Rush sense. I want his liberal policies to not get enacted. That doesn't mean I want his administration to fail... I just want what liberals would view as a success to not come about while at the same time I want us to succeed with the economy (and promoting capitalism) and in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

And for those liberals who sit there and say "How could anyone want a sitting president to fail? If he fails, aren't we as a people and country worse off?"

To which I respond: Welcome to my point of view when I listened to numerous liberals seemingly hoping Bush failed in Iraq, never giving the surge a chance, accusing generals of betraying their country, etc because it would mean electoral success.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    You get an A for the day. That's exactly how it played out, and exactly what he meant.

As for me I love Rush. I already know my first born son will either be named Rush something, or something Rush. Rush will def be in the name. I also am a Rush 24/7 subscriber, and since I can't figure out how Ipods work, I have the fiance load up Rush recaps or the friday show if I miss it, for when I work in the yard on the weekend.
    Except that at CPAC he reiterated that he hopes Obama fails in general.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    Except that at CPAC he reiterated that he hopes Obama fails in general.
    He didn't really. Most of his speech dealt with how good of a politician Obama was, how smart he was, and he actually said he wants Obama to succeed so the country succeeds. Trust me, I was there. He emphasized that bit.

RIP Jesse Helms

Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    He didn't really. Most of his speech dealt with how good of a politician Obama was, how smart he was, and he actually said he wants Obama to succeed so the country succeeds. Trust me, I was there. He emphasized that bit.
    You were at Cpac, that's awesome. It was a hell of a speech.

Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    To which I respond: Welcome to my point of view when I listened to numerous liberals seemingly hoping Bush failed in Iraq, never giving the surge a chance, accusing generals of betraying their country, etc because it would mean electoral success.
    Anyone who hoped Bush failed in Iraq (be it "seemingly" or overtly) is pretty stupid. Personally I don't think I've ever met anyone (liberal or conservative) who hoped for our nation to fail in any endeavor. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just saying that if they do, they most likely represent the "fringe" that is inherent on both sides of the aisle (albeit very different fringes. See: those who believe that Obama is the anrichrist vs. 9/11 "truthers" ).

Regardless of that fact, if I may play devil's advocate here, there is a HUGE difference to a group of people disagreeing with the way things were handled in a war (which I guess some people construe as a hope for failure? ), and a major figure in a political movement explicitly stating that he hopes for failure (as you can see above, I agree that the context was altered for at-best questionable reasons).

When we went to war in 2003, I was decried by LOTS of friends as being unpatriotic (one person went so far as to call me a traitor ) simply for questioning the reasons for the war. But at no point was I like "well I hope all those marines die over there, and we fail miserably". If anything, I was sincerely hoping for total success in spite of what I felt were the failings of the administration in regards to how the war plan was crafted.

I guess the major question I would pose to my fellow Americans on the right is that IF (and yes, I realize that's a big "if") the Obama economic plan turns out to be a resounding success (and of course the definition of "success" can be debated), do you think someone like Rush would ever say "wow, I was totally wrong there, sorry Mr. President"?

Personally, I don't think I could ever see that happening, and I guess that's what irritates me so much about someone like Limbaugh.

Edit: Also, it seems to me that hoping for a failure of an economic plan in order to stop the "liberal agenda" is kind of petty, especially when the "liberal agenda" is pretty much:

Wikipedia:

Liberalism emphasizes individual rights and equality of opportunity. Within liberalism, there are various streams of thought which compete over the use of the term "liberal" and may propose very different policies, but they are generally united by their support for constitutional liberalism, which encompasses support for: freedom of thought and speech, limitations on the power of governments, the rule of law, an individual's right to private property,[2] and a transparent system of government.[3][4][5] All liberals, as well as some adherents of other political ideologies, support some variant of the form of government known as liberal democracy, with open and fair elections, where all citizens have equal rights by law.[6]
    Last edited by Zep; 03-04-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast