• C

23 41.07%
  • D

7 12.50%
  • F

3 5.36%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Grade Jay Triano

Interim or not, this man has been head coach of the raps from game 18 to now game 59 from what we ve seen so far as a head coach what grade would you give him to this poiint and please look at player development as well as record , defensive differences and offensive differences from b4,

and would you let him interview for the head coach job next yr??

frank gives him a D, wouldnt let him interview for the head job next yr, main reasons and the record is one but not the main one, he doesnt seem to motivate his players , he sits and frowns when they go down 6-8 and waits for them to fix themselves, sam only sat and did nothing when they went down 20+ and even then sometimes youd see him pacing up and down trying . Dont wanna make this a sam vs triano but the good nba coaches(not saying smitch is one) can fire up a team in a must win situ against a team ahead of them and get more out of them , the ny friday game was the point i realized Jay doenst have what it takes to head coach in this league and it will be hard for him to move over a couple seats to lead assistant, i think he leaves the team after this yr

I was sitting on the "C" then changed to a "B" only because he is a rookie head coach. I don't think he has done a good job but I like his offensive strategies and I think he has had a hard time with injuries.

I have a lot of faith in Triano because of what I've seen him do before. This Raptors roster was both injured and dysfunctional (no aggressive wing player rendered them the most predictable team in the NBA; redundancy at the PF position with Bosh and JO). And yet, the architect wanted them to run -- the most difficult game they could attempt.

People always point to Sam being 8-9 as some sort of evidence that he was a better coach. The euphoria of the beginning of the season wore off fast. They won 3 games and then came crashing down to reality, going 5-9 after. 5-9 is about right for a team that is discovering that it doesn't have the parts to compete. Triano inherited a team that was BEATEN and had no confidence that it could get anything done. Until the Marion trade, the composition of the roster beat itself. They regained their confidence gradually by having a coach that gave them roles, allowed players to understand their roles, stopped blocking the development of key players like Sam did (Bargnani, Graham, Ukic), and pushed other players hard (Kapono, now Calderon). If the success he's had with all of these players continues, and the much improved team structure improves, I expect him to do well with this made-over team. He's 2-2 since the Marion trade. That's all I care about.

Considering everything he's had to deal with in one single, interim season, I'd give him a B too.
    Last edited by ink; 02-25-2009 at 11:41 AM.

i give him a C. i understand that he 's a rookie coach but i really don't think he has the leadership skills to coach an NBA team

B+

I think he has done a great job with the young guys, which wasnt happening before. He has opened up the game of everyone. Even the likes of Graham who many deemed a lost cause. Habits are being broken that hindered our team in prior seasons.

Bad Things
    Defensive lapses. This is to be expected from a rookie coach though. Also I think he needs to lengthen the bench abit. Use the guys even if they dont perform right now because we are playing too thin for this run and gun game. Guys are going ot tire out.

I have faith in Triano though and I'm not a coach so I'll shut up. lol!

Whats average? I guess I would give him a C+/B-; he's done a similar job to many other rookie coaches. The record is obviously not great but he's got the raps running the ball more on offense.

Will he be hired again? I honestly don't think so. He might stay on as an assistant, by I see BC going out and getting a veteran head coach.

I notice the officals use it against him thats hes a rookie and we dont get many calls. Sam used to be crazy so it affected the officals, while Jay is more laid back so thats might affect it.

Quote Originally Posted by torontosports10 View Post
    I notice the officals use it against him thats hes a rookie and we dont get many calls. Sam used to be crazy so it affected the officals, while Jay is more laid back so thats might affect it.

You dont think triano has given his piece of mind to the officials? I dont know, I see him talking to them all the time.

And If I am not mistaken, he's gone off on them and been ejected 2 times. and I've seen several incidents where he had the reddest face yelling his lungs out and surprised they didnt even T him up, Oh well strange.

Overall a B, I blame more of the season on injuries and lack of flow thru the lineup, not to mention how horrid Bosh's play has been since they started going downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    You dont think triano has given his piece of mind to the officials? I dont know, I see him talking to them all the time.

And If I am not mistaken, he's gone off on them and been ejected 2 times. and I've seen several incidents where he had the reddest face yelling his lungs out and surprised they didnt even T him up, Oh well strange.
    I don't think the guy was saying that Jay wasn't going off on the refs, just the refs are ignoring him because they don't respect him.

Really have to wait until the end of the season to grade him to see what he can do with Marion and a hopefully healthy roster. If he finds a way to get them into the playoffs than I'm certain he'll be back.

In terms of strategy, adjustments, and managing the roster I think he's done a great job. In excells where Sam was clueless. We actually run plays after a timeout when we really need a basket and I think the players now have defined roles. He manages the game very well at the end too. The Sac game right after Xmas was a great example. He took Calderon out with 25 seconds left and used his best defensive guys.....something Sam would never dream to do.

My issue with Jay is can he push and motivate his players. That is just as big or bigger than x's and o's at this level. I'm not sure he is strong enough in this aspect.

I'd give him a B- so far.

The Raps record is a reflection of the GM just as much as the coach. JO didn't work and his fat contract killed our depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_at_york View Post
    I don't think the guy was saying that Jay wasn't going off on the refs, just the refs are ignoring him because they don't respect him.
    Well that could be the case. But he mentioned he was more laid back, he may be more laid back when we are losing but I dont think he just sits there when theres a bad foul call.

I gave him a D...cause C seemed like a passing grade and I won't give him that. I like what he's done with player development and his game plans. However, I don't think he has what it takes to coach a game in real time. Coming out of time outs yes. But, he doesn't motivate the players. Often takes time outs too late. Gets visibly depressed when things go south. All and all, excellent assistant...Poor head coach...

Maybe that changes with experience. He's got a few games left to prove he deserves another chance. I'm don't think he's earned it.

i think its to early grade for next years job... what if he turns it around and actually makes the playoff?

in terms of the players responding to him i would give triano a C-.
    Yes! the other players are responding quite well specially graham and bargs but! i think him and chris bosh has a poor relationship. Chris is the franchise. The franchise and the coach has to be bread and butter and not water and ice. cold.

in terms of player development i give him a B-
    bargs and graham came out of their shell this year and not burried at the end of smitches rotation. and ukic showing some grit. triano didnt really give these players anything but playing time. and maybe a lil bit of confidence

overall i would give triano C- and B if we make the playoffs from where we stand now.

...era ora caxxo.

Grade as of February 25, 2009: C+
    Interview for next season: No

Mediocre coaching throughout. Yes, he did take the job in a dysfunctional situation, that much is for sure. And yes, he is a rookie coach. But that doesn't change much if anything with regards to this question. He has done what he could and tried his best but the results have been overwhelmingly mediocre. Combine the already weak team that the Raptors have plus mediocre coaching ability and the result is a 23-36 team.

Only way I see BC giving Jay a chance next year is IF he can take the Raptors to the 8th playoff seed even with this underwhelming squad. If he makes the playoffs, he has a much better chance to stay than leave. Anything worse, even a strong finish to the season but out of contention and he's likely out for good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast