Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what happens if Jeff Clement kills it in spring training...

Alright. Let's say that jeff clement has a great spring training while Kenji is playing in the WBC. And let's say Kenji does not play well for team Japan. Is it possible for Clement to get the bulk of the catching time? It seems to me that the Mariners would be better off if Clement was the full time catcher... I want to see what he can do in a full season. Opinions?

If both play well or at basically the same level I don't see any reason not to play Clement more. He is the future and has more potential. Maybe if Griffey plays in the outfield a few times Clement will DH, while Kenji catches. Another possibility is the two of them platooning a lot. They won't let Clement sit on the bench though, he'll get more playing time.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

If Clement is playing better he'll win the job.

Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    i hope so. Then we have one expensive arse backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkindrublic03 View Post
    Alright. Let's say that jeff clement has a great spring training while Kenji is playing in the WBC. And let's say Kenji does not play well for team Japan. Is it possible for Clement to get the bulk of the catching time? It seems to me that the Mariners would be better off if Clement was the full time catcher... I want to see what he can do in a full season. Opinions?
    I really hope this is a "problem" we end up having. I'd love to see Clement take that starting job. Kenji would be an expensive backup but, unless he turns things around, he is a liability in that starting lineup.

I think between Clement, Griffey, and Johjima they will all see at bats. Griffey with rotate with LF and DH, and the C's will rotate with DH and C. I wonder who Bedard will have to catch for just him this season LOL

I forget, who was his catcher last season?

Quote Originally Posted by BoundByAxioms View Post
    I forget, who was his catcher last season?
    Anyone but Johjima.

what happens if Jeff Clement kills in spring training?
    Prob end up in jail?

Quote Originally Posted by DieHardColtsfan View Post
    Prob end up in jail?
    trying to be funny but failing miserably

If Clement tears it up in Spring then we could have 5 lefties(Ichiro, Griffey, Branyan, Clement, Endy) in the starting lineup which will cause havoc on opposing managers. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshman4 View Post
    If Clement tears it up in Spring then we could have 5 lefties(Ichiro, Griffey, Branyan, Clement, Endy) in the starting lineup which will cause havoc on opposing managers. I'm looking forward to it.
    very good point, I personally dont see Branyan lasting past the All Star Break. I hope he proves me wrong, but hes a lefty poor man sexson in my eyes. Atleast his contract isn't a 1/16 as ludicrous.

1B is our biggest issue to me. Far too tough to compete when your main offensive spot in the lineup is basically a platoon spot..

Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    Not so fast. Aren't we forgetting something? ... Japanese ownership. What is the reason why Kenji was signed to an extension anyway? He was playing like crap. But it all points back to what the owners want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by *ALL SEATTLE* View Post
    Not so fast. Aren't we forgetting something? ... Japanese ownership. What is the reason why Kenji was signed to an extension anyway? He was playing like crap. But it all points back to what the owners want to see.
    Doesn't matter. Ownership doesn't make those calls. The guy hasn't even been to a Mariner game before.

Quote Originally Posted by clang7777 View Post
    very good point, I personally dont see Branyan lasting past the All Star Break. I hope he proves me wrong, but hes a lefty poor man sexson in my eyes. Atleast his contract isn't a 1/16 as ludicrous.

1B is our biggest issue to me. Far too tough to compete when your main offensive spot in the lineup is basically a platoon spot..
    Russell the Muscle will last all season. He's extremely powerful and he can be dominant against right-handed pitching at times. I don't like that they keep talking about putting him out there against lefties too, but as a platoon guy I think he'll more than earn his salary. If he ends up on the bench, it'll be because a young guy is playing great ball and earns the job, which would be awesome. I do not expect that to happen though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast