Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

"Hey NHL: Ovechkin's the star of the show" response

The sad thing was that it was another wasted opportunity to exploit the talents of league's most charismatic and skilled player: Alexander Ovechkin.

The highlight of the event was the sight of the Washington sniper clowning around by donning a silly hat and glasses while carrying two sticks. It was more Three Stooges than Bobby Orr.

That may have been the weekend's biggest missed opportunity. As he showed Saturday, the effervescent Ovechkin is the star the league should be hitching its wagon to, not Sidney Crosby.

Ovechkin is as outgoing an athlete as there is, but not in a Sean Avery way. He's out front without being in your face. Last night, every time he touched the puck there was a notable buzz in the crowd at Montreal's Bell Centre.

Crosby appears to be a nice young man who may even have more potential than Ovechkin on the ice. But as he demonstrated in a CBC interview Saturday, off the ice he's about as charismatic as a pylon."

Here's an excerpt from the full article on the main board titled "Hey NHL: Ovechkin's the star of the show "

The first portion was talking about how no star could get passed the junior goalie with their trick shots. This portion talks about how the NHL should be focused on selling Ovie to the masses, instead of Sid. Your thoughts on this Penguins fans?

My thoughts: Look around at other sports. Do they have one superstar they push on their audience? No. Basketball, football, baseball, all push multiple stars. They recognize the talent base and use ALL of it to it's full potential. And they even recognize during the season who's awesome this year, and who's a goat.

So why does the NHL push Crosby constantly? Why not add more superstars to that list? Why can't Bettman broaden his very narrow pea-brain into a widespread sell of the whole sport? No wonder Crosby gets boo'd in a lot of arenas, he's been pushed so much into opposing audiences they're sick of him. Why can't superstars and up and comers be pushed equally? Not just the Ovies and Crosbys.

Why not jump on the Vanek, Kessel, Kane, super scorers? Why not show the brick wall goalies, like Thomas, Carey, and Luongo? Sell the game as a whole, instead of one person...

Frankly I see nothing but benefit for the league, fans and players alike. And if more stars step up and take over some of the interviews and showcasing, Crosby would probably be less stressed with his off-ice tasks and perform even better having less responsibility shouldaring the face of an entire league and its impotent managerial style and one track marketing focus.

Quote Originally Posted by jzelenda View Post
    Here's an excerpt from the full article on the main board titled "Hey NHL: Ovechkin's the star of the show "

The first portion was talking about how no star could get passed the junior goalie with their trick shots. This portion talks about how the NHL should be focused on selling Ovie to the masses, instead of Sid. Your thoughts on this Penguins fans?

My thoughts: Look around at other sports. Do they have one superstar they push on their audience? No. Basketball, football, baseball, all push multiple stars. They recognize the talent base and use ALL of it to it's full potential. And they even recognize during the season who's awesome this year, and who's a goat.

So why does the NHL push Crosby constantly? Why not add more superstars to that list? Why can't Bettman broaden his very narrow pea-brain into a widespread sell of the whole sport? No wonder Crosby gets boo'd in a lot of arenas, he's been pushed so much into opposing audiences they're sick of him. Why can't superstars and up and comers be pushed equally? Not just the Ovies and Crosbys.

Why not jump on the Vanek, Kessel, Kane, super scorers? Why not show the brick wall goalies, like Thomas, Carey, and Luongo? Sell the game as a whole, instead of one person...

Frankly I see nothing but benefit for the league, fans and players alike. And if more stars step up and take over some of the interviews and showcasing, Crosby would probably be less stressed with his off-ice tasks and perform even better having less responsibility shouldaring the face of an entire league and its impotent managerial style and one track marketing focus.
    I just think the NHL sees Crosby as a better fit to be the poster boy of the league because he is somewhat reserved, a professional, and one of the best players in the league. But I agree they should start marketing Ovechkin as well as other players to draw more interest to the sport.

In all of the commercials I've seen with Crosby, they all feature him playing hockey but with absolutley no aspect of a personality at all. You look at the top names in sports endorsments, the Mannings, Lebron, Big Ben, LT, Jeter, all of their ads, whether playing their sport or not, leaves you with a taste of their personality. Just as an example the Peyton pep talks where he reminds us all if we're over 25 and not a professional athlete, we'll never have abs, classic. Compare that to a Crosby ad where they'll show close ups of him skating around the ice, he scores a goal, product shot, Crosby smile, another product shot. If any company wanted to capture the hockey market right now, grab Ovechkin for a goofy commercial, and he'd surpass Crosby's popularity with in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsUCCB View Post
    he'd surpass Crosby's popularity with in a month.
    I think they're neck in neck with popularity, with a minor backlash to Crosby for being EVERYWHERE. I don't know many other products that he pushes besides the NHL and Reebok (can anyone name another?)

As for companies grabbing NHL personalities for products, it won't happen, only because the NHL hasn't been in the limelight for years, purely because THERE'S NO REAL TV AIRPLAY. They leave ESPN, and I can't find a highlight on that channel for squat. I watch the NHL Network just to see who's doing what in the league.

If the knuckleheads of the NHL swallow their pride, agree to a damn deal to put them on a REAL station, it'd be a real positive step to getting the NHL back into the mainstream audiences. Then companies will ask for the big names, then more people get out there, and the NHL grows, negating the smaller TV deal you signed, you chumps (I'm looking at you Bettman)

Also, eliminate all teams that are located in areas that don't see snow, with the exception of Dallas, and the California teams (for now)

Sincerely your wake up call,
    Jason

i agree with your first post jzelenda, the nhl is by far the worst marketing leaue in all of pro sports, they dont recongnize all of our stars only one or two, but they need to wake the **** up and leave sid alone for a while and market Ovie, or Malkin the people are bored of seing crosby, get some new faces in there
    **** SIGS