Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should be the Red Sox starting catcher in 2009?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jason Varitek

3 7.89%
  • Jarrod Saltalamacchia

20 52.63%
  • Taylor Teagarden

9 23.68%
  • Kelly Shoppach

4 10.53%
  • Miguel Montero

2 5.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kelly Shoppach

Quote Originally Posted by 4GIVEBILLBUCK View Post
    20 bucks the yankees get maur and offer him a 10 year 345 million deal with a club option for an 11 year worth 43 million...and a full no trade...and an opt out after every year..
    Deal.
    Mauer won't be leaving the Twins, so it won't happen. By then there will probably be a cap anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    Deal.
    Mauer won't be leaving the Twins, so it won't happen. By then there will probably be a cap anyways.
    I'd bet if there is ever a cap instituted, it's not for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Dont think so? They are bringing up so much with the Brewers and Marlins and such I think they will at least talk about it in 2011.

The MLBPA would never ever allow it. I honestly think they would (the players) strike before they allow it. Yeah there is love for the game but in the end most of them have very big egos that lead them to believe they are worth every little penny ( THEY'RE NOT) and those big contracts. Realistically certain owners need to stop just being cheap and put up the money (which they certainly have) to make their team competitive.
    -

I dont think a cap is a good thing...Its never been a problem for the sox till yanks went insane...even soo a cap would only hurt us unless it was 200 million or something..

Anyway...I hope to hear some redsox news soon...havent heard anything since Tex signed...maybe we can hear sum chatter about how we're talking to texas or clevland just to break the monotony

^^^i hope so

20 bucks the yankees get maur and offer him a 10 year 345 million deal with a club option for an 11 year worth 43 million...and a full no trade...and an opt out after every year..
    beat me to it.... you got the same source as me? That *****... you better not have given her anything if you know what I mean

I dont think a cap is a good thing...Its never been a problem for the sox till yanks went insane...even soo a cap would only hurt us unless it was 200 million or something..

Anyway...I hope to hear some redsox news soon...havent heard anything since Tex signed...maybe we can hear sum chatter about how we're talking to texas or clevland just to break the monotony
    Yanks are below the overall payroll level that were at last year..... So a cap would be irrelevant to the Yankees "going insane"

Quote Originally Posted by penuch View Post
    The MLBPA would never ever allow it. I honestly think they would (the players) strike before they allow it. Yeah there is love for the game but in the end most of them have very big egos that lead them to believe they are worth every little penny ( THEY'RE NOT) and those big contracts. Realistically certain owners need to stop just being cheap and put up the money (which they certainly have) to make their team competitive.
    Bingo!!! Strongest Union in the world... they will strike first IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    The MLBPA may have the strongest Union in sports.

In a year of immense economic uncertainty (let's not forget, people are using the "Depression" word, albeit quietly), their members are signing 160 and 180 million dollar deals.

If, in the near future, when the pendulum swings back, they're asked to accept a cap...........well, I more like the chances of me changing my name to Babe Ruth Mickey Mantle Berra Dent, than that happening.

Salty or wait for Mauer.

Thanks BostonRichie!

THE #1 Ranked BU Hockey Terriers 23-5-4 2008-2009 Beanpot Champs

For all of you guys begging for a cap answer for me a few questions...

1. How od you deal with internatinal FA? If you have a cap, that would not exclude any high revenue team from instead flooding the Pacific Rim and Latin America with those dollars that would otherwise be spent on payroll.

2. How do you deal with Japanese postings? Currently the RedSox are the recipent of the loophole that excluded DiceK's posting fee from the luxury tax?

3. How do you deal with the fact that if you add a salary cap you remove the fact that at least 2 teams are currently kept afloat by revenue sharing. By adding a cap you would automatically lose that goldmine. So do you just contract teams like the Marlins?

Sorry, a salary cap will never work in the MLB. Institute a tiered luxury tax based off of an expotential curve to put the biggest tax incident on the most excesive teams. Combine that with better policies in Latin America and draft slotting along with a minimum salary would go a long way towards normalizing the MLB. You would still have the high profit teams able to exploit Free Agency but it would fix some of the more glaring weakness if the current system.

Okay enough bout the cap...This is about Kelly Shoppach...Whatd we trade with him to CLE anyway?

Was it like Guilemo Moto, Kelly, and another reliver for Coco? Refresh me please!

O wait andy Marte also was in there

Quote Originally Posted by nygiants242 View Post
    Salty can't play defense.
    i bet he can throw out more runners then varitek did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast