Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should be the Red Sox starting catcher in 2009?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jason Varitek

3 7.89%
  • Jarrod Saltalamacchia

20 52.63%
  • Taylor Teagarden

9 23.68%
  • Kelly Shoppach

4 10.53%
  • Miguel Montero

2 5.26%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kelly Shoppach

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kelly Shoppach

Ant thoughts on trading for kelly shoppach? The Indians have Victor Martinez so they dont really need him.

He hit 21 HR last yr in only 112 games.

Maybe we could get him for something like Bowden strait up..or Delcarmen and another prospect?

This is all assuming they dont bring back tek..If they do bring back tek, we should just make do for a year and see what happens with Joe Maur.

i want tek starting and salty backing him up

Quote Originally Posted by Nickday View Post
    i want tek starting and salty backing him up
    I'm telling you right now that Jason Varitek is not coming back to Boston. The only reason the Sox even discussed bringing him back was to try to grease Scott Boras to try to make him give the Sox a little discount on Teixeira by signing both Tex and Tek at the same time. Now Varitek supposedly wants Posada money. LOL. He will not get it from Boston. It's clear that last year wasn't a fluke because Varitek didn't hit ALL YEAR LONG. He's shot and we didn't want him back to begin with and, I'm pretty sure Theo and John Henry are done dealing with Boras for this offseason.

I'm high on the idea of Varitek "tutoring" Saltalamacchia, we'd have to trade to Saltalamacchia (I see the Red Sox biting the bullet and trading away Buchholz for Saltalamacchia and perhaps a 4th outfielder like Byrd or Catalanotto) and of course sign Varitek at a reasonable cost.

Also I really don't see the Indians trading away Shoppach. When what I was reading while back there was some talk to moving Martinez to 1st and having Shoppach starting catcher.

Back to the Saltalamacchia trade, sure we'd lose Buchholz but we don't "need" starting pitching as bad as we need a catcher right now. Also trading Buchholz for Saltalamacchia is somewhat "cheap" when compared to trading for someone say a Joe Mauer where you'd have to give up multiple prospects as opposed to one. Granted, Mauer is a proven catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by 4GIVEBILLBUCK View Post
    Ant thoughts on trading for kelly shoppach? The Indians have Victor Martinez so they dont really need him.

He hit 21 HR last yr in only 112 games.

Maybe we could get him for something like Bowden strait up..or Delcarmen and another prospect?

This is all assuming they dont bring back tek..If they do bring back tek, we should just make do for a year and see what happens with Joe Maur.
    Trade Bowden for Kelly Shoppach? Are you nuts? Michael Bowden has the best arm outta all our pitching prospects. I know Buchholz threw his no hitter and, Masterson was clutch in the bullpen at the end of last season but, this kid Bowden is going to be a stud. Paplebon and Lester both said Michael Bowden has better composure on the mound at this stage of his career than both of them had and, Paplebon said he has some of the nastiest stuff he has ever seen. You don't trade a guy like that for a average at best catcher.

Sure, I'll take Shoppach, just as long as we realize he's not the long term solution nor worth any top prospects.

So in other words, I don't think a deal is getting done.

Salty can't play defense.

The Sports Current
    All the News for All the Teams. Are you in the Current?
    Like This Page

Quote Originally Posted by nygiants242 View Post
    Salty can't play defense.
    i bet he can throw out more runners then varitek did.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox47 View Post
    i bet he can throw out more runners then varitek did.
    Statistically, so could just about every catcher in MLB.

At this point I would do one of two things:

1. Sign tek and wait for Maur to be a FA and blow him away with a long term contract.
    OR
    2. Dont sign tek and get a shoppach or a Saltalamacchia + Vet

Having tek and salty is ok too but tek would have to know he's only playing half the time now. I just hope our pitchers dont get mad when thy dont get tek...I know if I was beckett I wouldnt want a stupid kid catching me...I'd want the guy whos called 4 no hitters

Quote Originally Posted by 4GIVEBILLBUCK View Post
    At this point I would do one of two things:

1. Sign tek and wait for Maur to be a FA and blow him away with a long term contract.
    OR
    2. Dont sign tek and get a shoppach or a Saltalamacchia + Vet

Having tek and salty is ok too but tek would have to know he's only playing half the time now. I just hope our pitchers dont get mad when thy dont get tek...I know if I was beckett I wouldnt want a stupid kid catching me...I'd want the guy whos called 4 no hitters
    We can't wait around for guys that MIGHT hit the open market. First off, he may not, and secondly, he's going to have SO many suitors it's not even funny.

Mauer is most likely not hitting the free agent market so we should just wait

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    Mauer is most likely not hitting the free agent market so we should just wait
    Wait for what? If Mauer isn't hitting the free agent market then we can't wait. We need to get somebody fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    Wait for what? If Mauer isn't hitting the free agent market then we can't wait. We need to get somebody fast.
    **Shouldn't. My bad.

The Twins dont have the money to pay him the 17 mill a year he'll get...or more!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast