Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Astros get Lou Palmisano from rule 5 draft

Catcher Lou Palmisano was sent from Baltimore to Houston after being picked in the Rule 5 draft.

The Astros still figure to add a catcher, which would leave Palmisano competing for the backup job with Humberto Quintero

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_MLB.aspx

I think this is a pretty solid pick. I wonder if the Astros are going to shop Quintero during spring training or not add a veteran starter and simply go with Q and Lou Palmisano next year.

I think they'll go out and get another catcher and I think Palmisano has a very long shot of making the team. I'll be upset if they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of O's View Post
    I think they'll go out and get another catcher and I think Palmisano has a very long shot of making the team. I'll be upset if they don't.
    Ed said that

“We think he has a legitimate chance to come in and compete for that slot alongside Quintero in the catching ranks,”

So solves the catcher problem with, Palmisano being the main catcher and Quintero a backup catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermster View Post
    Ed said that

“We think he has a legitimate chance to come in and compete for that slot alongside Quintero in the catching ranks,”

So solves the catcher problem with, Palmisano being the main catcher and Quintero a backup catcher.
    Your kidding right....
    This has Towles repeat written all over it...accept that Towles actually had a few major league at bats under his belt.

I still would have preferred James Skelton(arizona took him 11th) as a catcher, he is much more athletic, has a more reliable bat, and has stayed consistant with his OBP at every level in the minors. I hope Palmisano proves me wrong but I doubt he will ever have what it takes to be a starter in the Majors... either way though it didnt really cost us anything important and its another token for the slots as far as im concerned.