Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Untouchable Coaches

How many coaches in the NBA can be considered "untouchable"?

Ten. By my count.

Gregg Popovich. Phil Jackson. Jerry Sloan. Doc Rivers. Nate McMillan. Mike Brown. Stan Van Gundy. Rick Adelman. Mike D’Antoni. And Don Nelson.
    http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress...-untouchables/

Don Nelson?

I'd say Popovich, Jackson, Sloan.

Pop, Jackson, Sloan, Would have thought Avery before last year, Stan Van Gundy, Doc Rivers after the title (even though I actually think he's not really a good coach).

Sloan and Pop are the only real ones in my book, the rest could be ousted in my mind. Especially Doc, he is such a ****** coach, just with an unbelievable team, its hard not to win. He'll get bounced if the C's get bumped from the playoffs for 2 straight years

Quote Originally Posted by MooseWithFleas View Post
    Sloan and Pop are the only real ones in my book, the rest could be ousted in my mind. Especially Doc, he is such a ****** coach, just with an unbelievable team, its hard not to win. He'll get bounced if the C's get bumped from the playoffs for 2 straight years
    That's my point though. Rivers has job security for two straight years because of the recent title. Making him untouchable for the next two years.

That's practically a decade of job insurance by today's NBA standards.

I'm just wondering, but let's say the Celtics fired Doc after the '06-'07 season and hired Larry Brown. How would they have done last year? What if they would have made Tom Thibadeau the head coach? Just wondering what people think

Quote Originally Posted by hotpotato1092 View Post
    I'm just wondering, but let's say the Celtics fired Doc after the '06-'07 season and hired Larry Brown. How would they have done last year? What if they would have made Tom Thibadeau the head coach? Just wondering what people think
    Doc is a horrible x's and o's coach. But it seems like he's able to foster a good team ethic with the Celtics. I don't know if Larry Brown could have done that. He's an extreme micro-manager.

I think the team probably would have won the title with Thibadeau as head coach. But I don't know much about him in terms of leadership ability so it's hard to say for sure.

Pop Sloan and Jackson.... thats it

Sloan, Pop, Zen Master.

Doc Rivers is a good coach, really classy person.

Jerry Sloan is a great coach... but he isn't untouchable, well in the Jazz FO he problley is, 20 years and hasnt won a title. if he was with any other organization he woulda been fired 15 years ago.

D'Antoni is pretty untouchable based on his previous credentials, even though he has yet to win the big one

Quote Originally Posted by AIMelo=KillaDUO View Post
    Jerry Sloan is a great coach... but he isn't untouchable, well in the Jazz FO he problley is, 20 years and hasnt won a title. if he was with any other organization he woulda been fired 15 years ago.
    Sloan is untouchable. He's not with another franchise. He's with the Jazz. And it's clear from everything the owner says that he is welcome to coach there until he's ready for retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by AIMelo=KillaDUO View Post
    Seems relevant here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...e=Sloan-081209

Jerry Sloan is in charge of Utah, he has more power and influence than the people above him, and I dont think anyone would dare fire him. The job is his until he decides enough is enough, which I hope is neverrrr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast