Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should retired NBA players just stop becoming GMs?

Anytime there's a discussion of the league's crappiest GMs, it seems to me like there are a disproportionately heavy number of former players in the mix.

Maybe dudes should just stick with coaching?

yes. That job should be reserved for real Basketball Operations Experts. Like Billy King
    For All The News On All The Teams

I get really annoyed when former players become GMs with no front office experience, there are people who have worked for the team for years and have a lot of experience in the front office who are a lot more qualified, but owners want to make a splash so they hire the unexperienced former player who will inevitably fail. It's ridiculous. what happened to starting at the bottom and working your way up?

Yeah, Ainge sucks so bad....

No what needs to happen is that they need to have the proper training before they assume such responsibilities. If you stopped having players that are general managers you then have guys in suits who are good with numbers but not really understanding what type of players mix together, the on and off the court chemistry needed to make a team and it personnel work cohesively. You don't give guys like Steve Kerr who sounded smart because he was on the tnt booth the job; you don't give Isiah Thomas a job because he smiles alot, you make them either take NBA provided training or on the job training as assistants to GMs. There is something valuable to the GM position when the guy who is changing peoples lives by offering them work, or uprooting them from their families, getting international players is somebody who's been a part of it and knows what it feels like. The numbers aspect and the player/personell part they can learn.

^^Good post. Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Iodine View Post
    Josh is like sex, but better
    Follow me on Twitter! @ josh_the_truth

The old saying is, those who can't do, teach. Some of the best players are terrible judges of talent, and bad teachers. Just because someone is awesome at something personally, doesn't mean they are anything short of inept passing it on

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

other than joe dumars i agree, they've all sucked.

Geoff Petrie is the exception. He would have been more known for his playing days and not his drafting skills if a knee injury hadn't happened to him. People forget he was a rookie of the year and got 24.8 ppg his rookie year, not to mention 5 assists. He was also won the GM of the year award.
    Last edited by DerekRE_3; 12-08-2008 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2shady4u View Post
    DerekRE 3 just get the **** out. i mean no one takes you seriously and i bet im the only one with enough balls in my shorts to tell you to **** off. you're not a good poster. go **** yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan89 View Post
    other than joe dumars i agree, they've all sucked.
    Jerry West? The GM who nabbed Shaquille O'neal, Kobe Bryant, and Derek Fisher all in one summer. The GM who drafted James Worthy and Eddie Jones and is credited for building the Showtime Lakers. Not to mention the GM who traded Norm Nixon for Byron Scott. Yet he sucked?

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Yeah, Ainge sucks so bad....
    Actually Ainge did get alot of heat before he acquired Garnett and Ray Allen.

You can thank Kevin Mchale for that one.

there is always an exception to the rule

I think really good players need to stop becoming GM's. Being a great basketball player doesn't give you a good eye for talent. You might recognize who can play basketball well, but thats the extent of it, not how it will fit on the team, and within your style of play. I mean lets be honest, there have been a lot of bad GM's period, not just former players. As mentioned, they've not gotten the proper training and so on and so forth. To be a good GM requires quite a bit, and I think a lot of people have failed at it, and assembling a good team is no easy task.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

Quote Originally Posted by superkegger View Post
    I think really good players need to stop becoming GM's. Being a great basketball player doesn't give you a good eye for talent. You might recognize who can play basketball well, but thats the extent of it, not how it will fit on the team, and within your style of play. I mean lets be honest, there have been a lot of bad GM's period, not just former players. As mentioned, they've not gotten the proper training and so on and so forth. To be a good GM requires quite a bit, and I think a lot of people have failed at it, and assembling a good team is no easy task.
    Which is why Jerry West should never have become the Lakers GM.

Quote Originally Posted by sp1derm00 View Post
    Which is why Jerry West should never have become the Lakers GM.
    what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast