Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Orioes Revisit Trade For Pie; Could Be Involved In Peavy Deal

The Orioles have revisited trade talks with the Cubs about outfielder Felix Pie, according to industry sources, and could end up as the third team in a three-way deal that would send marquee right-hander Jake Peavy from the San Diego Padres to Chicago.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,3629851.story

Nice! If we could get Greene that would make it a great deal.

C - Hernandez/Weiters
    1B - Huff
    2B - Roberts
    3B - Mora
    SS - Greene
    LF - Pie
    CF - Jones
    RF - Markakis
    DH - Scott

Not a bad lineup at all.
    Last edited by Driven; 11-30-2008 at 12:23 AM.

Sources told the Baltimore Sun that the Orioles are discussing a Felix Pie deal with the Cubs and are potentially the third team in a Jake Peavy trade.

Given their lack of a legitimate center fielder, the Padres could use Pie themselves. However, it doesn't appear that they're very high on the 23-year-old. If the Cubs send Pie to Baltimore for Garrett Olson, that might make them a more attractive trade partner. It was reported earlier this month that the Padres offered Khalil Greene to Baltimore for Olson.
    Told you i trusted the FO

Cubs fan here. I would hate to give you guys Pie, but for us to get Peavy I do it in a second. Do you all think that Brian Roberts will

1) Resign there

2) Get traded this offseason?

I would say he's more likely to re-sign, but the smart move would be to trade him.

not an orioles fan or a padres fan or a cubs fan just curious haha

anybody think the padres will try and pawn khalil greene off on yas i know they want a replacement first but i think if the prospects are right they wouldnt mind throwing him your way

also wanted to say i like garrett olsen for felix pie i think the upside is in way better favor of the orioles

do you orioles fans think you are the third team in the trade or are they just rumors

Quote Originally Posted by vick27m View Post
    do you orioles fans think you are the third team in the trade or are they just rumors
    It doesn't really matter what O's fans think.

And everything is only a rumor until something actually happens.

That said, the O's were interested in Pie last year when Brian Roberts was on the block. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still interested...

Pie is an outfielder right? i thought our outfield was set with Scott, Jones, and Markakis. Shouldn't we be focusing on acquiring starting pitching and a starting shortstop?

Quote Originally Posted by blb View Post
    And everything is only a rumor until something actually happens.
    Disagree with this statement. The Orioles could easily be the third team right now, but if it doesn't happen, than it doesn't happen. It doesn't mean that it wasn't the truth.

Pie reminds everybody of Corey Patterson, namely because of his slight build, tool set, and strikeout totals. I disagree somewhat with this evaluation. I see him more as a Mike Cameron-type player - solid, but not necessarily special. Yes, he has huge holes in his swing and he lacks any sort of plate discipline, but he is still only 23 years old. He's also 6'2", which means there is some room for him to fill out and develop more power, something Patterson couldn't do. If the Orioles could get him for Garrett Olson, I certainly think we should do it. I don't see Luke Scott acting as a DH, especially since he prefers to play the field - and hit poorly as a DH last year. If the Orioles pull this off, I'd guess that Scott could be traded for a SS. I think Huff is valuable to the team because he can play first base, third base, and he can DH - plus he's more offensively prolific. Not only that, but Pie and Reimold could platoon in left field and Montanez could be our reserve outfielder and pinch hitter. Since Scott's salary will soon go up, I think it's entirely possible he's already played his last game as an Oriole.

I hope the Orioles are the third team, as long as their involvement is limited to Garrett Olson for Felix Pie. I'm still hoping the Orioles pry J.J. Hardy and Mat Gamel from the Brewers, then maybe sign Teixeira. If they can do that, I'll be supremely happy. After all, our offense would be set - and we could sign grizzled veterans to hold over the rotation until our kids are ready to pitch. Since we're probably not going to land Burnett or Sheets, I'm guessing Carl Pavano and Freddy Garcia.

Quote Originally Posted by vetoedbyangelos View Post
    I hope the Orioles are the third team, as long as their involvement is limited to Garrett Olson for Felix Pie. I'm still hoping the Orioles pry J.J. Hardy and Mat Gamel from the Brewers, then maybe sign Teixeira. If they can do that, I'll be supremely happy. After all, our offense would be set - and we could sign grizzled veterans to hold over the rotation until our kids are ready to pitch. Since we're probably not going to land Burnett or Sheets, I'm guessing Carl Pavano and Freddy Garcia.
    With Aubrey Huff as the O's top trade candidate and Hardy possibly moving to third to make room for Alcides Escobar, I don't see a trade going down between the O's and the Brewers. Besides, Milwaukee's out to replace CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets and the only pitching the O's have to offer is either (a) singlehandedly holding down the entire starting rotation (Jeremy Guthrie) or (b) being stockpiled in the minors for the O's future (Brian Matusz, Chris Tillman, Jake Arrieta, etc.). And since the Brewers already traded Matt LaPorta for a guy who's about to become a rental, I don't see them trading Hardy or Gamel unless they get a top of the rotation starter in return.

The Washington Post Blog was saying that if/when the Cubs acquire Peavy, Marquis would be the odd man out in the rotation. Apparently the Cubs want to send Pie and Marquis to the O's while the O's send Olsen, plus a strong prospect to the Padres (and the Cubs would send a prospect or 2 to the Padres) for Peavy. If that were the case, I would almost want the Cubs to send Marquis to the Padres and have the Padres send us Khalil Greene. That seems to echo the rumors last week that the O's turned down Greene for Olsen straight up. What do you all think of that?

Padres get: Olsen, Marquis, + a prospect from the O's and/or Cubs
    Cubs get: Peavy
    O's get: Pie and Greene

Then, as vetoed says above, we could flip Scott (although I think im one of the few that actually likes him in LF or as the 4th OF).

Quote Originally Posted by bigity b View Post
    The Washington Post Blog was saying that if/when the Cubs acquire Peavy, Marquis would be the odd man out in the rotation. Apparently the Cubs want to send Pie and Marquis to the O's while the O's send Olsen, plus a strong prospect to the Padres (and the Cubs would send a prospect or 2 to the Padres) for Peavy. If that were the case, I would almost want the Cubs to send Marquis to the Padres and have the Padres send us Khalil Greene. That seems to echo the rumors last week that the O's turned down Greene for Olsen straight up. What do you all think of that?

Padres get: Olsen, Marquis, + a prospect from the O's and/or Cubs
    Cubs get: Peavy
    O's get: Pie and Greene

Then, as vetoed says above, we could flip Scott (although I think im one of the few that actually likes him in LF or as the 4th OF).
    I think the Cubs have to give up more than that to the Padres. At least 2 guys like Marshall and Cedeno would have to be added from Chicago to San Diego to make that deal have a chance to work IMO. Marquis is a problem. The Padres would never take on his salary - it defeats the whole purpose of dealing Peavy. The Cubs have salary issues, too, and really need him to go. He probably has to go to the Orioles, but I can't see the Orioles paying more to get him. To get Peavy, I'm guessing the Cubs just give him to the Orioles to make the deal work.

^^^ makes sense. I think its funny the Cubs want Marquis part of the deal as a throw in and no one wants him (even though he's in the last year of his contract - right?). These three teams trading to eachother with the basics outlined above (Padres get Olsen, Cubs get Peavy, O's get Pie) makes perfect sense and all they need to work out are the throw-ins (Marquis and/or Greene) and/or the propects the Padres get from whom - but i guess if it were that easy the deal would have been donw by now....

Just curious as to why Olsen is drawing interest? if he is that good, then why dont the Orioles keep him, considering we need starting pitchers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast